Strength Times

I notice my level of output varries depending on the time of the day. I'm sure hydration, rest, coffee, chew and food all play into this. First thing in the morning I am the weakest. When its 4 PM and boiling hot I can crank it out.

LaHunter

WKR
That must be pretty common because I am exactly the same. mid / late afternoon I seem to be able to train with more strength/stamina/endurance/ etc.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am ready to snap necks & cash checks around 10 a.m.

When I get to the gym around 7:30 p.m. I feel about 3/4 of that. Its an interesting thing and I have been trying to figure it out.

I think it likely has to do with when your body is used to working out. I go at 6 am everyday and now it feels off to go at a different time. I also noted that in college i would wrestle my best matches in tournaments around 3 to 5 and always assumed t uhh ats because that was when practice was on the other days.

Joe

I don't seem to have a problem doing a workout at anytime. I usually change up my time to workout whenever I can to reflect reality. I won't hike at a particular time or only climb a hill at a particular time so I try to reflect that with my workouts. Sometimes I work out early, sometimes its in the afternoon, other times its in the evening. Sometimes all three. I usually bank my working out time on when I have the time or patience to do it, mainly because I hate working out. (I hate sucking wind in the woods more thought)

Lawnboi

WKR
I always change it up based on my schedule.

I think fueling correctly as well as the amount of rest you have gotten has more to do than what time you workout at

One word Jack3D! That will make you turn into a rabid dog that wants to work out or die trying.

Haha I agree but they took the good stuff out "dimethyl-somethingorother". I steer clear of all pre-workout drinks now mostly because they are expensive but also because once I stopped taking them I feel like a wilted pile of s*** without my "gym crack". Also, I wouldn't advise taking it before bed.

kickemall

WKR
For me, it seems the later in the day the harder it is. I like to get work outs done as early as possible because its one less thing to think about throughout the day. I'm not a guy that relishes running and working out but force myself because I like the results. I can't stand it when I'm doing something and start thinking I need to be in better shape to get it done. Maybe attitude has a lot to do with it.

Trr15

WKR
Does anyone PT after the kids go to bed and still be able to sleep two hours later?

I put my kids to bed between 8-8:30 and then workout for about an hour. Not ideal, but it's become my routine and I'm usually able to get to sleep by 11pm. Thankfully I don't have to get up until 6am, so it works out well for me.

Carlin59

WKR
Franklinmanklin, your results mirror my personal experiences as well. I rowed in college, and every land workout we did on the rowing machines had our performance fed into a computer (actually very similar to a dyno test for cars). It was pretty interesting to see all of your individual performances as well as the group, and relate them back to environmental factors. The biggest of these factors was time of day for the test. Early afternoon (2-4pm) was definitely the peak performance window for the team, so your observations on your performance match that. At least for rowing, this performance peak can be seen on the elite and national team levels as well.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Franklinmanklin, your results mirror my personal experiences as well. I rowed in college, and every land workout we did on the rowing machines had our performance fed into a computer (actually very similar to a dyno test for cars). It was pretty interesting to see all of your individual performances as well as the group, and relate them back to environmental factors. The biggest of these factors was time of day for the test. Early afternoon (2-4pm) was definitely the peak performance window for the team, so your observations on your performance match that. At least for rowing, this performance peak can be seen on the elite and national team levels as well.

I am glad that I am not the only one! Thanks for sharing.

Carlin59

WKR
No problem! Your body may adjust to an early workout time where 6:00am may feel "normal", but performance/output-wise there is no way to be at your peak at that time of day. Not enough fluids or available calories in your system, and your metabolism is slowest right when you wake up.

I notice my level of output varries depending on the time of the day. I'm sure hydration, rest, coffee, chew and food all play into this. First thing in the morning I am the weakest. When its 4 PM and boiling hot I can crank it out.

So everybody is different therefore effecting their body's "schedule". In nutrition, when someone comes in w that perception we have them do a few different things to figure out exactly what is changing their energy lvl ie: keep a lil diary of when/ what you ate drank or did and your energy output. It could be that your dehydrated or hungry at the time if day when your groggy/ not at your peak.

Your VO2 max (maximum oxygen consumption) really effect your energy output (granted that you have eaten energy via food recently). It reflects the aerobic physical fitness of the individual. But when your dehydrated evn with only a loss of 2% your body weight, it can affect your performance, as seen in a decreased vo2 output). At 5% loss of body weight due to dehydration you reduced your "fitness" by 35% (which is huge). So drink up sir and make sure your getting enough water throughout the day (1 ml x your daily calorie consumption = min h2o mL u need per day and google to convert to oz) eg: if u eat 1900 cal a day, you néed a min of 64 oz

Also, make sure your fueled up with carbohydrates, that's the easiest form of food your body can turn into energy.

At the end of the day, exercise when your body is at it's peak (if that time works for u) if not ..... Change your habits/ hydration/ food around to teach it to be ready at a different time of the day. Once it becomes a habit, your body will alter itself to fit your needs

M.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Thanks, M. I just did a 14.1 with women's weight and it was harder than it should have been. I drink tons of water but am low in the morning.