Strategy for Other Hunters in "Your" Spot

I have some thoughts on how I might address this, but wanted to get the pulse of the broader community to see how others would handle this situation and maybe identify some blind spots in my thinking.

Last weekend, I hiked into the area I'm planning to hunt for a final scouting trip before deer season starts in October with a particular buck targeted. I planned to camp on a certain ridgeline which provides - by far - the best view of multiple areas, but found someone had stashed some firewood under a tarp where I was planning to camp. How would you proceed?

The history and pertinent details:
  • This is public land, more than 5 miles deep.
  • I have hunted the basins around this ridgeline for numerous seasons off and on over the past 6-7 years.
  • I see a handful of hunters each season.
  • I have never actually seen anyone on this ridge, but did find a fresh boot track on my way up to this ridgeline last year.
  • Last year was my first time making it up to this particular ridge and I found a fire ring there, but I can't say if it was recently used. I never spotted a firewood stash, though I could have overlooked it.
  • If someone was camping up there, they didn't leave any evidence of it.
  • The fire ring has probably been there for a long time.
  • My first scouting trip this year was in late June which still had snow covering the camp and firewood stash area.
  • Due to numerous 70-hour work weeks and my daughter moving out across the state this summer, I haven't been able to get back to this area since the end of June.
  • I did spot elk (cow and calf) in the area for the first time this past weekend, so it's possible that they could be setting up for modern firearms elk, though I don't know how great of a spot it is for that.
  • There are alternate spots I could camp, but for this area, I really need to get up on some part of this ridgeline to have a chance of spotting my target buck (or any buck for that matter).
  • My plan at the moment is to hike in midday on the day before the opener and be out - with a day or two off in the middle - for the duration of the season.
Appreciate any input!

180ls1

WKR
Some people stash stuff year-round so it's first come, first served unless invited to hunt the same spot with them. Otherwise, leave a cordial amount of space.

Poser

WKR
I'd still show up, but have a plan B camp spot in mind. You might also show up 1 day earlier or, if you can't swing that, start hiking in the day before the opener as early as you can get to the TH. Hiking in at noon the day before the hunt is a common practice. Hiking in at 6 AM is not and probably ensures you get "your spot"

saskhunter

Lil-Rokslider
It's public. First come, first served.

I wouldn't touch the fire wood and would probably set my camp up out of the way, but I'd still camp there.

People don't get to call dibs on public by leaving their stuff there.

I'm no expert on these matters by any means...but stashing some firewood months or even weeks in advance doesn't lay claim to any particular spot on public land IMHO...its public.
I'd say have an alternative spot or two picked out for backup, get up there as early as you can and if there's no camp up then set up shop. If someone is there when you get there or shows up after your set up, go talk and see what their after or what their plans are. If after elk and your after deer, maybe good exchange of info on what was seen where by both parties🤷‍♂️.
If after same critters, talk over who's going where to stay out of each other's way and not blow everything out.

Hope for the best about it being either a camper or someone who has different tags, but keep in mind that in a place that remote, if someone's putting wood under a tarp then they'll naturally be thinking of it as "their" spot just as much as you, with just as much emotional claim. And, expect them to be there by the time you show up, if they're putting that much work in ahead of time. If they're not there, then kindly replace any wood you use.

While it's as annoying as it is to find another hunter in your spot, there's another way to look at it, in a positive light rather than negative: give them a nod of respect for being one of the rare few to figure out that killer spot as well as you did.

rclouse79

WKR
I got this little gem from a previous Rokslide post. You walk over to them and ask them how the hunting has been. Then you tell them it has been pretty poor for you and that you have only managed to get off a couple of “sound shots”. When they ask what a “sound shot” is you tell them that is when you start firing in the general direction of sounds you heard in the bushes. After that you should have the area to yourself.

intunegp

WKR
I don't think any of the history or pertinent details matter. What if the wood stasher has been hunting there for 10-15 years and you're the new guy to him?

When it comes time to set up camp and hunt public land, it is 100% first come first serve. If you get there the day before the season and there is already a camp setup, you'll need to go somewhere else. If they walk up on your tent they should do the same.

If your married to that spot I'd plan on leaving a hell of a lot earlier than midday the day before opener.

Weldor

WKR
I'm sure that scenario plays out every hunting season. Public land is exactly that public. Like everyone said above first come first serve. That said my guide friend had a killer spot set up for the mule deer opener years back, scouted all summer nice look out etc. He arrived at about 0400 on opening day, about 3 mile hike in from his house. There was three gentlemen already set up for glassing waiting on sun up. It went well he introduced himself they did likewise. They invited him to hunt with them from "his" spot. I got a kick out of the story. You just never know.

Even if you're first to the ridge, don't be surprise if someone shows up afternoon and pitches a tent a few hundred yards away. Just the way it goes.

Go hunt your target buck! If someone is on "your" ridge even hunting "your" buck, come up with a plan to hunt his escape routes. I found someone else in "my" spot last week, and changed tactics to hunt the bull based on where I figured he would run to while this other hunter chased him up the timber draw bugling the entire way. I shut up and hiked to the top keeping tabs on him the whole way thx to the other hunters. After everything went quiet I was able to call the bull in at the top of the mountain after he tucked his cows in. be aggressive with a backup plan and try and use others to your advantage if possible.