Strange 30-06 situation, what would you do?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The other day, I wanted to do some 30-06 shooting so I loaded up some 190g accubond long range bullets to near max COAL with a charge of 60 grains of H4831. The load shot beautifully right off the bat, no pressure signs, great groups fairly light recoil, I figured that would be my new 30-06 load.

I went to review the load today and realized that I'd actually used the data for a 180g accubond, I had chosen 60g because it was listed as their most accurate load and I had previously shot the 190g ABLRs with their starting load and felt ready to work up.

So....for those still following along,

I loaded up the 190g ABLR with 60g of H4831 and it was great, upon further review I found that while 60g was the middle load for the 180g accubond, 57g is actually the max listed for the 190gABLR, so I was shooting over the max listed.

I feel stupid making this mistake but the load was great, shot well, no pressure signs. Would you continue to send it?

Thanks

Yes. I've actually not found where pressure signs start in my Tikka .30-06. I have a few loads that are about 1.5 gr above max with zero pressure signs. I've just figured it's due to tikkas long throat, 11 twist, and the fact that I crimp all my loads.

Every gun is diff and we're supposed to work up loads while maintaining safe pressures - if you think it is a safe pressure and shoots nice. Then there is no reason not to use it.
Right, It was a dumb mistake, Like I said, I had used Noslers starting load for the ABLR before so I wanted to try their middle (most accurate) load, I just accidentally used the middle load for the standard 180g accubond.

Yes. I've actually not found where pressure signs start in my Tikka .30-06. I have a few loads that are about 1.5 gr above max with zero pressure signs. I've just figured it's due to tikkas long throat, 11 twist, and the fact that I crimp all my loads.

This particular load is 3 grains over max

This particular load is 3 grains over max

Yea I read that. I just meant that it's possible I could load mine well over 2 grains above max. If I were shooting your load with no pressure signs, I'd keep shooting it. If one were worried about it, I guess you could check with a Chrono to see for sure if there is pressure issues.

Depends on the manufacturer. I settled on a load for my 30-06 tikka that is 3.1gr above the hornady manual but only 0.2gr above Noslers max load for the same bullet class. I worked my way up to this node and never saw pressure signs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Max COAL for your throat or the book? You can gain or lose a lot of powder space seating those long bullets depending on seating depth.

No pressure signs you are probably OK, but I’d still be tempted to load up some loads moving backwards from 60g and see if you can get better or equal performance moving back towards recommend loads.

No pressure signs you are probably OK, but I’d still be tempted to load up some loads moving backwards from 60g and see if you can get better or equal performance moving back towards recommend loads.

Right, I was thinking next time I hit the bench to drop it down to 57g (the listed max for that bulled according to noslers book) and seeing if it shot as well.

It was just nice, the load works so well I rarely make a load that works that well straight off the bat.

I would keep shooting them if you are confident in the consistency of your charges. One thing I would suggest, is not to shoot them in substanially warmer weather than what you tested them at.

Nosler's data seems funny - 62.0 is max for a 180 AB but 57 is max for a 190 ABLR? Even with the 190 taking up more case capacity, that seems goofy. I wouldn't be surprised if the 190 has a shorter bearing surface than the 180.

All in all if you aren't getting pressure signs I'd shoot away. I'd load em a bit longer than 3.34" if your mag allows though.

Before you change what appears to be a good thing, research other sources and see what their loads are. You may find your load listed somewhere.

The manuals are guidelines, not gospel.

I've got a rifle load that's over 5 gr over max, shoots great, kills deer. Another guy can't even get to the max without his gun screaming pressure at him. Diff guns react diff to diff bullets and seating depths, that's part of working up a load. Figuring your gun out.

Seems like you stumbled to a great load. If it seems safe - primer and brass look okay - there is no reason not to use it. Only you can make that call. I'd probably use it til something better came along.

Most load data manuals cap at a certain pressure so you can't sue them if you blow yourself up. If you're not getting pressure signs, SEND IT!

30-06 has been around a very long time and I think some of the manuals reflect that . They seem to be very conservative , a lot of older guns floating around . MHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back