Straight or angled spotter?

Scott6.5

FNG
I have an angled and like it, I have used a straight one and would prefer not to again.

Why, and the angle works better for bench use for me.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I bought an angled one and hated it. Seemed very awkward to use. Replaced it with a straight one and wouldn’t dream of going back to an angled. Most of it’s time will be spent at the range with some western hunts thrown in.

The most recent rok cast may interest you.. 😉

I've borrowed a lot of both over the years and as I get closer to buying my own spotter I can't totally decide myself. Both have pros and cons, if I could own both I would.

Sled

WKR
My preferences:
From the truck window, angled only.

Standing with tall tripod, straight.

Standing with short tripod, angled.

Sitting or standing sideways, angled.

Sitting same elevation as target, straight.

Sitting with target above, angled.

Sitting with target below, either.

My goal is to not use muscle to hold my body in a position. Use your bone structure and glass longer with less fatigue.

I have both and prefer my large spotter angled and packable spotter straight.

Scott6.5

FNG
To expand my reply using sleds reply as basis.

if my tripod was tall enough to get it to my eye level I might like it straight, as I do like binos like that.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Dang, lots of threads on this subject but some great answers here...Or answers that I happen to agree with :)

I'm in the market for a packable spotter and am leaning hard towards the Swaro STC (straight)

waspocrew

WKR
Straight feels awkward to me - have to have the tripod much taller, but it is easier to get on target.

I prefer angled, but that’s me. Go try them out and see which one you prefer.

I much prefer a straight. Every time I try to use a friend's angled, it reminds me how much easier a straight is to use, and it improves your flexibility! (Trying to get behind the straight)

Smkj21

FNG
Straight will give quicker target acquisition but angled is more comfortable to glass while sitting. If glassing down a steep slope the straight will be better. I much prefer an angled while hunting in steep ground up high.

lukebrowning

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on your glassing style… binos on tripod and spotter for closer look? In that scenario I prefer straight. Picking apart a hill for hours? Angled. Glassing uphill? Definitely angled. Glassing downhill? Straight but angled works okay.

Some say they prefer the packability of a straight spotter but I’ve never had an issue packing an angled. For the hunting I do, if I could only pick one it would be angled.