Stove Jack DIY

D_Eightch

WKR
Wondering if anybody has added a stove jack to a sylnylon tarp and how they went about it?

Also wondering if I'd be wasting my time with a cat cut tarp. I have a Superfly from Warbonnet. I'd only use the stove if I were staying on the ground since there would never be enough room with the hammock.

WoodBow

WKR
Go watch the video from bear paw designs or something like that. They manufacture stove jacks and have a video on how to install them. That will give you a good idea. I made my own jack material from impregnating fiberglass cloth with silicone. I have yet to install it. I have also heard you can use a silicone baking sheet.

Beendare

WKR
.... I made my own jack material from impregnating fiberglass cloth with silicone. I have yet to install it. I have also heard you can use a silicone baking sheet.
I did the same with high temp silicone....but I wouldn't do it again if doing over as when the pipe got really hot there was a little smell from it. I don't know if it would be the same with the premade ones.....

cnelk

WKR
I went down to the hardware store and picked up some soldering heat shield material - $15

Then I cut it to fit my 3" stove pipe

Then I sewed it into my wall tent

Lil-Rokslider
Is it better to cut a hole for the stove pipe or cut slits in a star shape pattern and push the pipe through. The fingers from the star shape pattern would be pushed up and help with water entering the tent from around the stove jack. Your thoughts?

cnelk

WKR
It doesnt matter.
If its raining/snowing some moisture is gonna get in regardless, but only around where the stove is at and the heat will dissipate it

Beendare

WKR
cnelk,
What is the temp rating on that? Have you tried holding a match to it?

I was thinking of making a cover for a project and that stuff might be perfect....

cnelk

WKR
Beendare

I havent held a match to the material, but I have had the stove pipe glowing red hot and that saddle piece that supports the pipe wasnt even hot.

I was more than impressed with the performance of the the stuff