Stone sheep meat, horns, & cape transport

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I've brought all my sheep parts home (skull, horns, cape, meat) on three hunts including a Stone.

It's pretty easy and I've been using the Yeti duffle bags for this purpose.

I'd probably have an extra day planned on the outgoing end just to make sure you can get the sheep plugged and paperwork done. Just did it with a Yukon Dall sheep this August so my intel is pretty recent.

I wrapped my skull and horns in my sleeping bag and put multiple pairs of socks over the ends of the horns to give them as much protection as possible and then duct taped them on.

OP
J

JHemmert

FNG
I've brought all my sheep parts home (skull, horns, cape, meat) on three hunts including a Stone.

It's pretty easy and I've been using the Yeti duffle bags for this purpose.

I'd probably have an extra day planned on the outgoing end just to make sure you can get the sheep plugged and paperwork done. Just did it with a Yukon Dall sheep this August so my intel is pretty recent.

I wrapped my skull and horns in my sleeping bag and put multiple pairs of socks over the ends of the horns to give them as much protection as possible and then duct taped them on.
This is great information and very helpful. thank you for pointing out that it is recent. the way things have been the last few years, everything seems to be much more of a pain!

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
Any more advice on what to package a Dall sheep skull for Euro mount and cape in. I’ll be flying Canadian North from Norman Wells to Edmonton, overnight in Edmonton airport hotel and then Edmonton on to Denver via United. I have an extra day in Norman Wells at the Heritage Inn on my return to get the horns plugged and deal with meat etc. I do hope to bring some meat home as well. Obviously this is all assuming I’m lucky enough to connect on a ram.

I have flown with caribou meat from AK to Denver using a fish box as checked luggage so have a little experience.

Was thinking about packing a Kuiu Taku bag 5500 for the hide, head and meat….but wondering if I should just pick something up in Norman Wells.
Also, I’ll be packing my backpack and gear in a yeti 75L panga duffle for the trip out so I could use that for meat, head anc cape and then pick up something cheap for the rest of my gear and check both..

Ibex

FNG
J3butch,

When you going I’m making the same journey starting the 23rd of July.

OP
J

JHemmert

FNG
Any more advice on what to package a Dall sheep skull for Euro mount and cape in. I’ll be flying Canadian North from Norman Wells to Edmonton, overnight in Edmonton airport hotel and then Edmonton on to Denver via United. I have an extra day in Norman Wells at the Heritage Inn on my return to get the horns plugged and deal with meat etc. I do hope to bring some meat home as well. Obviously this is all assuming I’m lucky enough to connect on a ram.

I have flown with caribou meat from AK to Denver using a fish box as checked luggage so have a little experience.

Was thinking about packing a Kuiu Taku bag 5500 for the hide, head and meat….but wondering if I should just pick something up in Norman Wells.
Also, I’ll be packing my backpack and gear in a yeti 75L panga duffle for the trip out so I could use that for meat, head anc cape and then pick up something cheap for the rest of my gear and check both..
I like the idea of the waterproof bags. My biggest concern personally is dealing with both governments and the "permissions" required. I'm planning an extra couple of days to make sure the skull is boiled and cleaned and the cape is salted and dried, assumingim fortunate enough to be successful. I hope to be able to buy a cooler and ice packs for the meat.
I don't leave until August 29th so I would be grateful if you could post here about your experience when you return. Best of luck on your hunt, hope you have a great time and connect on a great ram!

@j3butch @JHemmert
Guys, do not plan on picking anything up in Norman Wells, except paperwork on your way back. If you are taking a cooler, it needs to be with you when you depart your home airport. I recommend using a cooler as luggage on the way up and putting an empty taku in there. (All the stuff in the cooler on the way up will go in the Taku on the way back.) Dont take a yeti or some other heavy trendy cooler with thick walls. Take a Igloo or Coleman, something that is light and maximizes the internal space, so you can bring as much meat back as possible. Your meat will be fine. Duct tape the lid shut if locks are not an option.

Stay here in Edmonton...you can roll your cart from baggage claim all the way into your room, and on the way back they will put your cooler in the hotel freezer overnight:

OP
J

JHemmert

FNG
I like the idea of the waterproof bags. My biggest concern personally is dealing with both governments and the "permissions" required. I'm planning an extra couple of days to make sure the skull is boiled and cleaned and the cape is salted and dried, assumingim fortunate enough to be successful. I hope to be able to buy a cooler and ice packs for the meat.
I don't leave until August 29th so I would be grateful if you could post here about your experience when you return. Best of luck on your hunt, hope you have a great time and connect on a great ram!
I'm actually flying in and out of Terrace. Great idea on using the cooler though!!
Any thoughts on dealing with "legalities" and paperwork?

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
@j3butch @JHemmert
Guys, do not plan on picking anything up in Norman Wells, except paperwork on your way back. If you are taking a cooler, it needs to be with you when you depart your home airport. I recommend using a cooler as luggage on the way up and putting an empty taku in there. (All the stuff in the cooler on the way up will go in the Taku on the way back.) Dont take a yeti or some other heavy trendy cooler with thick walls. Take a Igloo or Coleman, something that is light and maximizes the internal space, so you can bring as much meat back as possible. Your meat will be fine. Duct tape the lid shut if locks are not an option.

Stay here in Edmonton...you can roll your cart from baggage claim all the way into your room, and on the way back they will put your cooler in the hotel freezer overnight:

What size cooler do you recommend for a euro, hide and some meat?

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
What I have done is brought back the hide and horns in a duffle bag and used a soft sides cooler to out meat in. You can either check it or carry it on, and my cheap igloo soft sided cooler can hold about 50 lbs of meat. I always put any hides /horns in a contractor trash bag inside my duffle to prevent any leakage, which there will be bit of even if they salt the cape and boil the skull for transport. Unless you are toting a gigantic cooler it would be challenging to get a full sized ram head with horns and skull for a euro mount in a cooler. Much easier to expand a large duffle and put the skull and horns in that.