Stone Glacier Xcurve vs Exo K3 for a Shorter Guy

I'm 5'7 - actually had my torso measured at REI yesterday, it came it at 18". I have the Exo K3 short frame and I have not had any issue with restricted head movement. Have not taken it hunting yet, but lots of walking with it. If I look straight up at the sky, the top of my head does touch the pack, but not so much as to prevent movement. Also depends on how you adjust the shoulder harness on the frame. I wear mine so the hip-belt is above the my pants/belt line.
Does that shorter pack still have an inch left in adjustment on the frame? My measurement is 17" so I am curious if that might fit me.
Thx

ChuckInTn

FNG
The short frame can go from 24 to 25.5 inches, but the shoulder harness can adjust from 15 to 23 inches (torso length). - (specs from their website). So torso wise it should be in your range. Extending the frame is really to help handle more weight. I believe the concept is that when the top of the frame is higher, you get a better angle on the load lifters, which helps put the weight where it needs to be.

With 17 inch torso, I would guess you would want the short frame, so when your not carrying a heavy load, the top of the frame will not be restricting head movement.

If you have any questions, they reply to emails pretty quickly.

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 5'8 and the EXO is far better for me, it doesn't sit so high above my head like the SG. Plus the Exo is superior in bag layout and ease of use.

Venom One

WKR
All the SG frames are 26”

To be honest, I don’t know how people have trouble looking up with any of these frames, unless your standing at the base of a cliff…. Just my experience

Zach addresses this issue in his backpack shootout test. Many of the top packs have this problem which is concerning because I just bought an EXO K3.

He addresses the EXO specifically around minute 19:30.

ChuckInTn

FNG
Zach addresses this issue in his backpack shootout test. Many of the top packs have this problem which is concerning because I just bought an EXO K3.

He addresses the EXO specifically around minute 19:30.
Thanks for sharing that, lots of good info. I think one of the biggest takeaways, is where he mentions - different body types will have different results for each. Unfortunately they are all pretty expensive and it's hard to get the opportunity to try each one. I've spent my share of $$ on different packs, and never found the unicorn pack yet. I've got a Seek Outside arriving next week, so maybe that's it. I'm a big fan of the Exo, but I think the Seek Outside might be better for hunting AND hiking. (Trying to get down to just one multi day pack).

Venom One

WKR
Thank you for the reply. Just curious, what waist size are you and what waist belt did you go with? Any issues with it sliding down?

I have a 31" waist and ordered the small belt, but after trying it on, I'm exchanging it for a medium. The pull straps that tighten the belt are pretty short so when you loosen the belt, you only have about 1-2 inches of webbing to grab onto. Reading the comments on EXO's site, the belt sizing was the biggest complaint (wish I'd read them before ordering).

The EXO does have some adjustability in the belt which is pretty cool. The video explains it better. It's all the way at the bottom of the page.

Venom One

WKR
Thanks for sharing that, lots of good info. I think one of the biggest takeaways, is where he mentions - different body types will have different results for each. Unfortunately they are all pretty expensive and it's hard to get the opportunity to try each one. I've spent my share of $$ on different packs, and never found the unicorn pack yet. I've got a Seek Outside arriving next week, so maybe that's it. I'm a big fan of the Exo, but I think the Seek Outside might be better for hunting AND hiking. (Trying to get down to just one multi day pack).

Yeah, Zach did a great job! Lots of time and effort put into that review.

GL with the SO pack. Lots of positive reviews on them. With so many great options to choose from, I think we're all chasing an elusive unicorn. Even if we find it, we'll still be eyeing something else wondering if it's better.