Stone Glacier vs Kuiu vs First Lite vs Sitka

Unsure is a thread on here already. I looked and didn't find one. But, I am posting to discuss and get some insight on clothing commonly used in "Backcountry Hunting." For Christmas this year my wife got me a Black Label Stone Glacier Gruman Down Jacket. That being said, its one of the nicest, lightest and best warmth to weight ratio jacket I own. I haven't ever been one to wear camo, unless archery hunting. I like that Stone Glacier sticks to all solid colors as I can wear it around town when not being used in the backcountry. I have looked into KUIU, FirstLite, and Sitka's clothing and it all appears to somewhat similar. KUIU and SG appear the most expensive and I am a firm believer of you get what you pay for.

What I have gathered Kuiu has a few more options for Base and Mid Layers than SG. FirstLite and Sitka also have different options and patterns for Waterfowl and Whitetail Hunting. I could ramble on about this for days, but my main goal is establishing if anyone has anything to share when it comes to longterm durability and experience with one being better than the other. I'm partial to SG at the moment but I am open to everyones opinions.

I will note, I'm 6'0 185lbs, a smaller athletic framed person that tends to prefer a more athletic fit.

OP
O
I think all four are top of the line and very close in quality. You will get fans of each and people that don't like each. I go with which piece fits my need and I can get the best deal on. For me tall and thin ish I like the fit of Kuiu so I have more of it than the others.
Thanks for you input!

hwy1strat

WKR
They are all pretty good clothes and I own pieces from all of them. Personally, I think they are all overpriced and you can get stuff of equal quality for less from Outdoor Research, Mountain Hardwear, Icebreaker, Smartwool, etc. as long as you are ok with solids instead of camo.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I've owned a lot of stuff from all of them over the years.

Kuiu, Sitka and FL are going to have a lot more options b/c they sell clothing. SG didn't start that way, and the product line is much more focused on backpack supported hunting. That isn't a fault, but it does fundamentally inform the designs. The other thing is weight is a concern with a lot of their pieces. You mentioned base layers - they simply aren't going to have 3 differnt weights of every material because they are more focused, somewhat like Kuiu was in the beginning. SG has lots of stuff that is good "all around" but really shines when you have a backpack on and are charging hard uphill.

The other thing is weight. FL sucks at giving you all the specs to their stuff, not sure why they can't figure that out. They are cut looser, and have really improved consistency in that area over the years. Sitka is probably the largest swath of stuff - they are going to be heavier than a comparable piece from Kuiu a lot of times, because they generally try not to sacrifice durability. Sitka torsos are usually short. Kuiu is a bit between them, almost always lighter, and almost always more fragile. They are kinda all over the place with fit between pieces. Kuiu has really dropped off the map with customer interaction, telling their development story, and coming out with meaningul improvement on a lot of stuff - they used to be a company not as concerned with scaling, etc.

I woulnd't try and pick a brand - I would try and find the piceces that do what you need first and foremost. The fit matters, so maybe consider that as well. I highly recommend the sitka ambient pieces, that hoody just plain kicks ass. I like the SG insulating layers and outerwear. SG Baselayers are good, but any of them can work well as long as they fit. If you primarily backpack hunt the SG stuff will shine - if you want more all around stuff, that's FL and Sitka (at least in my opinion.....)

t_carlson

WKR
My philosophy does not involve brand loyalty. I have found that no one brand makes the best of EVERYTHING.

For example, the Kuiu Attack pants are beloved by many. I found them to lack in durability. In contracts, the Sitka Mountain Pant is absolutely bombproof. I could probably sell mine as "like new" after the season is over even though I use them 90% of the time.

On the other hand, Kuiu's Guide pants are my favorite for late season. Very durable, and more wind resistant than the Sitka Timberlines. They are also lined with microfleece which makes them warmer IMO. I could go on and on with other pieces of clothing, but you get my point.

I hunt in a mix of Sitka & Kuiu mostly. I did pick up some SG back in December to try out. I'm betting it is going to be right up there with Sitka and Kuiu in terms of quality.

I will say that I have avoided First Lite for several years now. Initially, I bought a lot of their clothing. The merino base layers got holes in them after just one season or so. The Kanab pants (I had a few pair) were hit or miss. My original pair held up pretty good. Subsequent pairs had the pockets and/or crotch rip out. When they went to online sales only and didn't drop their prices, I quit. Maybe they are making better stuff now, but I do see a lot of complaints about their durability here and on other hunting forums.

As others have said, there is also some great quality clothing from mountaineering/climbing brands like OR, Patagonia, or my favorite, Arcteryx.

Don't put brand blinders on. Judge each piece of clothing by its performance only.

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with most of the above. While I own mainly Sitka I have first light items as well. I’ve been transitioning to more solids so different brands really don’t matter at that point. Plus I get more everyday use out of them as well. Finding the right pieces that fit your hunting style to me is the most important. They’re all built to layer so when mixing just keep that in mind.

Second the Sitka pants, I have the timberline, are bulletproof.

I have FL wool base layers and while I like them I’m transitioning over to Eberlestock. I would add them to your list as well. I have used their packs for years and now own a couple jackets and base layers as mentioned. Really liking the quality and fit of their gear.

Im all over the place with brands. Out of the 4 listed, I have bought a few different SG pieces and they just didnt work for me. Not a quality issue, just fit.

But this season Ive pretty much hammered out my entire system, and its a combination of the other 3.

SItka tops (synthetic base layers, mid layers and outer layers)
Kuiu Pants (kutana and attack)
Kuiu 120 merino baselayer tops
FL merino bottoms (wick/kiln/furnace)

Its about fit and function in a system. All 4 make high quality stuff. I think if theres any brand that has a clear advantage over the others in one area, its Kuiu's pants. They just seems to be a step up in quality. And that still is going to come down to fit and personal preference. Even with pants though, I still wear the original Prana Zions and have no complaints with them.

Everyone should own a Sitka Ambient hoody though.

nobody

WKR
I have a mix of stuff and tend to buy "what works" rather than just being brand loyal. I own/have owned stuff from First Lite, SG, Kuiu, King's, Sitka, Pnuma, Blackovis, Killik, Columbia, and many other randoms.

In my experience, most everything has been pretty durable, with the exception of my First Lite stuff. It's really nice when it's new, but I've had issues with it breaking down and wearing out extremely fast. Their pants haven't lasted at all for me especially, and their camo colors bleed out of their fabric in just a few wears and fade very quickly. Their pants also fit funny. I felt like if I had a diaper on they would've fit perfect, but since I didn't, the crotch landed about 4 inches too low. I couldn't cross logs.

Everybody else's stuff has been pretty good, and if I've gotten rid of it, it's been more because of redundancy in my loadout or fit issues rather than quality issues. I've settled, largely, on the following:

Pants: King's and Blackovis
Socks: Whoever has them on sale when I need them, as long as they're name brand and wool I don't care
Merino: First Lite
Rain Gear: King's, Columbia, and Red Head
Shirts: Whatever polyester is on a clearance rack at the outdoor stores. I buy lots of hooded long-sleeve sun shirts in earth tones to bow hunt in. Favorites have come from Scheel's and the Columbia outlet.
Insulation: King's and Blackovis
Parka: Cabela's/Bass Pro (I know, I know...) Red Head Line
Bino Harness: Kuiu Pro
Pack: Stone Glacier

My advice to you is to concentrate on what you need and how stuff works/fits, rather than being a brand guy. Buy lots of solids and get a few key pieces in a camo pattern you like as needed, but buy the gear that just works and fits good, rather than getting married to a brand. You do get what you pay for, to an extent. But you also pay big bucks for that pretty camo pattern and the logo embossed on the pocket or the chest. Don't kid yourself, you pay for that status. IMO, there's not one company who does an entire system perfectly. Everybody has tradeoffs and everybody has some stuff that works and other stuff that's a straight up flop. Lots of hunting clothing is marketing, and oftentimes there's something much better suited to your application out there, it's just not made by a hunting brand.

If you can make it, the Western Hunting and Conservation Expo in SLC is the first weekend in Februrary, and all the big brands will be there. You could try every piece from every company on and build your kit in one room, as long as your wallet is deep enough. Then you won't have to deal with return shipping or anything. In the process, maybe you discover that Kuiu pants fit you best, but their tops fit horrible and First Lite's tops are perfect, or something along those lines. It'll also give you a chance to handle it before swiping your card, which is borderline impossible with these big online brands.

OP
O
I've owned a lot of stuff from all of them over the years.

Kuiu, Sitka and FL are going to have a lot more options b/c they sell clothing. SG didn't start that way, and the product line is much more focused on backpack supported hunting. That isn't a fault, but it does fundamentally inform the designs. The other thing is weight is a concern with a lot of their pieces. You mentioned base layers - they simply aren't going to have 3 differnt weights of every material because they are more focused, somewhat like Kuiu was in the beginning. SG has lots of stuff that is good "all around" but really shines when you have a backpack on and are charging hard uphill.

The other thing is weight. FL sucks at giving you all the specs to their stuff, not sure why they can't figure that out. They are cut looser, and have really improved consistency in that area over the years. Sitka is probably the largest swath of stuff - they are going to be heavier than a comparable piece from Kuiu a lot of times, because they generally try not to sacrifice durability. Sitka torsos are usually short. Kuiu is a bit between them, almost always lighter, and almost always more fragile. They are kinda all over the place with fit between pieces. Kuiu has really dropped off the map with customer interaction, telling their development story, and coming out with meaningul improvement on a lot of stuff - they used to be a company not as concerned with scaling, etc.

I woulnd't try and pick a brand - I would try and find the piceces that do what you need first and foremost. The fit matters, so maybe consider that as well. I highly recommend the sitka ambient pieces, that hoody just plain kicks ass. I like the SG insulating layers and outerwear. SG Baselayers are good, but any of them can work well as long as they fit. If you primarily backpack hunt the SG stuff will shine - if you want more all around stuff, that's FL and Sitka (at least in my opinion.....)

My philosophy does not involve brand loyalty. I have found that no one brand makes the best of EVERYTHING.

For example, the Kuiu Attack pants are beloved by many. I found them to lack in durability. In contracts, the Sitka Mountain Pant is absolutely bombproof. I could probably sell mine as "like new" after the season is over even though I use them 90% of the time.

On the other hand, Kuiu's Guide pants are my favorite for late season. Very durable, and more wind resistant than the Sitka Timberlines. They are also lined with microfleece which makes them warmer IMO. I could go on and on with other pieces of clothing, but you get my point.

I hunt in a mix of Sitka & Kuiu mostly. I did pick up some SG back in December to try out. I'm betting it is going to be right up there with Sitka and Kuiu in terms of quality.

I will say that I have avoided First Lite for several years now. Initially, I bought a lot of their clothing. The merino base layers got holes in them after just one season or so. The Kanab pants (I had a few pair) were hit or miss. My original pair held up pretty good. Subsequent pairs had the pockets and/or crotch rip out. When they went to online sales only and didn't drop their prices, I quit. Maybe they are making better stuff now, but I do see a lot of complaints about their durability here and on other hunting forums.

As others have said, there is also some great quality clothing from mountaineering/climbing brands like OR, Patagonia, or my favorite, Arcteryx.

Don't put brand blinders on. Judge each piece of clothing by its performance only.

I agree with most of the above. While I own mainly Sitka I have first light items as well. I’ve been transitioning to more solids so different brands really don’t matter at that point. Plus I get more everyday use out of them as well. Finding the right pieces that fit your hunting style to me is the most important. They’re all built to layer so when mixing just keep that in mind.

Second the Sitka pants, I have the timberline, are bulletproof.

I have FL wool base layers and while I like them I’m transitioning over to Eberlestock. I would add them to your list as well. I have used their packs for years and now own a couple jackets and base layers as mentioned. Really liking the quality and fit of their gear.

Im all over the place with brands. Out of the 4 listed, I have bought a few different SG pieces and they just didnt work for me. Not a quality issue, just fit.

But this season Ive pretty much hammered out my entire system, and its a combination of the other 3.

SItka tops (synthetic base layers, mid layers and outer layers)
Kuiu Pants (kutana and attack)
Kuiu 120 merino baselayer tops
FL merino bottoms (wick/kiln/furnace)

Its about fit and function in a system. All 4 make high quality stuff. I think if theres any brand that has a clear advantage over the others in one area, its Kuiu's pants. They just seems to be a step up in quality. And that still is going to come down to fit and personal preference. Even with pants though, I still wear the original Prana Zions and have no complaints with them.

Everyone should own a Sitka Ambient hoody though.

I have a mix of stuff and tend to buy "what works" rather than just being brand loyal. I own/have owned stuff from First Lite, SG, Kuiu, King's, Sitka, Pnuma, Blackovis, Killik, Columbia, and many other randoms.

In my experience, most everything has been pretty durable, with the exception of my First Lite stuff. It's really nice when it's new, but I've had issues with it breaking down and wearing out extremely fast. Their pants haven't lasted at all for me especially, and their camo colors bleed out of their fabric in just a few wears and fade very quickly. Their pants also fit funny. I felt like if I had a diaper on they would've fit perfect, but since I didn't, the crotch landed about 4 inches too low. I couldn't cross logs.

Everybody else's stuff has been pretty good, and if I've gotten rid of it, it's been more because of redundancy in my loadout or fit issues rather than quality issues. I've settled, largely, on the following:

Pants: King's and Blackovis
Socks: Whoever has them on sale when I need them, as long as they're name brand and wool I don't care
Merino: First Lite
Rain Gear: King's, Columbia, and Red Head
Shirts: Whatever polyester is on a clearance rack at the outdoor stores. I buy lots of hooded long-sleeve sun shirts in earth tones to bow hunt in. Favorites have come from Scheel's and the Columbia outlet.
Insulation: King's and Blackovis
Parka: Cabela's/Bass Pro (I know, I know...) Red Head Line
Bino Harness: Kuiu Pro
Pack: Stone Glacier

My advice to you is to concentrate on what you need and how stuff works/fits, rather than being a brand guy. Buy lots of solids and get a few key pieces in a camo pattern you like as needed, but buy the gear that just works and fits good, rather than getting married to a brand. You do get what you pay for, to an extent. But you also pay big bucks for that pretty camo pattern and the logo embossed on the pocket or the chest. Don't kid yourself, you pay for that status. IMO, there's not one company who does an entire system perfectly. Everybody has tradeoffs and everybody has some stuff that works and other stuff that's a straight up flop. Lots of hunting clothing is marketing, and oftentimes there's something much better suited to your application out there, it's just not made by a hunting brand.

If you can make it, the Western Hunting and Conservation Expo in SLC is the first weekend in Februrary, and all the big brands will be there. You could try every piece from every company on and build your kit in one room, as long as your wallet is deep enough. Then you won't have to deal with return shipping or anything. In the process, maybe you discover that Kuiu pants fit you best, but their tops fit horrible and First Lite's tops are perfect, or something along those lines. It'll also give you a chance to handle it before swiping your card, which is borderline impossible with these big online brands.
I can not thank everyone enough. As a new Western Hunter I will be the first to say it can be overwhelming at times, between gear, clothing, sleep systems, packs, calibers to choose from, transportation, planning, learning each states regulations, the draw vs not drawing, preference points, and general planning. Going to give some KUIU base layers a try while I do some post season whitetail scouting and pulling stands down getting ready for the spring time. I wont be able to make it to the Western Hunting and Conservation Expo due to work things which sucks but it is what it is. @nobody How do you like the Kings Pants? I'm a GoHunt Insider and have seen them all over their website. Also have seen great things about Kuiu pants. I may use some tax return money to try some clothing and see what works. My wife and I do alot of hiking and backpacking as well so I will have some opportunities to test things out. Once again, thanks to everyone for you input.

nobody

WKR
I can not thank everyone enough. As a new Western Hunter I will be the first to say it can be overwhelming at times, between gear, clothing, sleep systems, packs, calibers to choose from, transportation, planning, learning each states regulations, the draw vs not drawing, preference points, and general planning. Going to give some KUIU base layers a try while I do some post season whitetail scouting and pulling stands down getting ready for the spring time. I wont be able to make it to the Western Hunting and Conservation Expo due to work things which sucks but it is what it is. @nobody How do you like the Kings Pants? I'm a GoHunt Insider and have seen them all over their website. Also have seen great things about Kuiu pants. I may use some tax return money to try some clothing and see what works. My wife and I do alot of hiking and backpacking as well so I will have some opportunities to test things out. Once again, thanks to everyone for you input.
Never tried Kuiu pants, so I won't chime in there. Their options seemed... underwhelming? As far as pants were concerned, and I didn't like the pencil legged look. Maybe I'm an idiot, but they weren't my jam from what I could see in advertisements. All the more reason to get somewhere that a guy can handle everything in person haha.

I've loved my King's pants. I've got one pair that I've had since 2019, and they're still going strong. Some fading for sure and a couple of wear points but nothing crazy. Honestly, for the sale price I got them on, I've gotten way more out of them than I thought I would! They don't owe me anything. I picked up another pair this year and they're just as good. They're phenomenal, I'll always recommend them.

They were my favorites until I discovered the Blackovis Desolation Midweight pants this year. Only difference is they're not DWR treated from the factory, but if you buy the Tekwash stuff to do it yourself, you're still into them way cheaper than the King's pants. I'll continue to own both, but the Blackovis are now my go-to for anything in vegetation that's "grabby." The King's pants are durable, but the Blackovis are just a little more durable it seems.

I have a bit of each from all 4 companies. I think try something from each company thats a base layer and an outer layer. It took me a while, but I finally got dialed in to preferring the First Lite wool to the others. Then Kuiu for lightweight outerwear. Sitka for heavier weight outerwear (whitetail and waterfowl). They all make great stuff and it comes down to personal preference.

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have said, all companies are great. If you aren’t brand loyal, you’ll be able to get something dialed in that meets your needs. If you ever pass me at my truck, I’ll be the guy with 3 different camo patterns on at the same time.

prm

WKR

I will note, I'm 6'0 185lbs, a smaller athletic framed person that tends to prefer a more athletic fit.

Kuiu will likely fit you very well.

Like the others, I feel each brand makes quality stuff. They do have different fit. I cant wear Kuiu pants for example. But think in terms of a system. You need the layers to compliment each other. I’ve worn layers of individually excellent products, but they did not work well together, or they didn’t work well for my use case. My current system covers all my likely western hunts (CO archery through 4th rifle season).

Silkweight base layer (Patagonia) (if out for many days I’ll wear a wool blend like Aerowool)
240 Peleton (Kuiu)
Atom LT (Arcteryx)
Lost Park Parka (Kifaru)
Rain jacket-very light/packable (Kuiu)
Prana Zion Pants
Merino base bottoms (First lite)

I’m sure there are many variations that would work well, this is just what I have stumbled upon. Also, it would vary if hunting in a more desert environment or in a more wet environment.

OP
O
Kuiu will likely fit you very well.

Like the others, I feel each brand makes quality stuff. They do have different fit. I cant wear Kuiu pants for example. But think in terms of a system. You need the layers to compliment each other. I’ve worn layers of individually excellent products, but they did not work well together, or they didn’t work well for my use case. My current system covers all my likely western hunts (CO archery through 4th rifle season).

Silkweight base layer (Patagonia) (if out for many days I’ll wear a wool blend like Aerowool)
240 Peleton (Kuiu)
Atom LT (Arcteryx)
Lost Park Parka (Kifaru)
Rain jacket-very light/packable (Kuiu)
Prana Zion Pants
Merino base bottoms (First lite)

I’m sure there are many variations that would work well, this is just what I have stumbled upon. Also, it would vary if hunting in a more desert environment or in a more wet environment.
I will say the one piece of SG gear I have, fits exceptionally well. I ordered some Kuiu base layers yesterday to see how I like them doing some post season scouting land cleaning up the stuff. Wishing I could find a way ti get to the Western Hunting and Conservation Expo in February!

Reactions: prm

prm

WKR
I have not worn any SG clothing, yet. Once you find companies that fit you, I’d look to them for layering. While I find Kuiu to make very high quality items, I’ve had a number of items that simply do not fit me.

NDGuy

WKR
I mostly wear FL and Sitka. But also wear Prana Zion Stretch pants a lot, lots of folks like the Eddie Bauer guide pants as well.

I'd agree that FL wool pants isn't as durable as some like, but they are dead silent and comfortable to wear in hot weather. I wouldn't agree with their nylon and other fabrics not being durable. My sawbuck pants are my favorite upland pants I've ever worn and I really really like their new Foundry pants. Their merino is also the best IMO.

I would agree however that the Sitka line is overall the most durable that I have experience with.

I agree with others, if you don't own the Sitka Ambient you should. That is one piece that flat out is amazing. I would say it's the first real tech breakthrough in clothing in a long time. People talk about technical clothing well the Ambient is just that. Welcome to true performance.

Before I get questions on what the breakthrough is, well it's the insulation. primaloft and polartec both have a comparable insulation, but basically its warm when static and breathes better than grid fleece when active all while not adding any weight.

prm

WKR
I agree with others, if you don't own the Sitka Ambient you should. That is one piece that flat out is amazing. I would say it's the first real tech breakthrough in clothing in a long time. People talk about technical clothing well the Ambient is just that. Welcome to true performance.

Before I get questions on what the breakthrough is, well it's the insulation. primaloft and polartec both have a comparable insulation, but basically its warm when static and breathes better than grid fleece when active all while not adding any weight.

Jacket or Hoody? Is the jacket comparable to an Arc’teryx Atom for warmth?

Only negative I can say about the ambient hoody, if you are going through an area with briars or anything with thorns, you are going to be made prisoner. And thick briars are going to get most materials, but this past weekend I was tracking a hog and got tied up to the point I had to take out shears and cut myself out. The outer material is so thin that you really get tied up. I didnt get a lot of snags, but it did take a while freeing it completely of the briars.

Ive worn it more as an outer layer, and added a kangaroo pocket to mine. Either as an outer layer over kuiu 120 merino, or under a traverse hoody or jetstream as a mid layer.

The womens version of the ambient seems like its the version most of us want in a mens version. Full zip, pockets and a hood. But with the added kangaroo pocket, it did what I needed it to do.