Stone Glacier Quick Release Rifle Sling pointers

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I put that sling on my Sky Talus 6900 could not get it released quickly or easy at all. I put the Kifaru sling on also but took the SG but stock cradle off now I have beast of both worlds. Kifaru carry in front & SG carry on side of pack. I must say I like the Kifaru style better.

Would love to see a picture of that modification. Thanks for your feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codycleve

FNG
thanks for this write up. I went out on a limb and put this on a new seek outside pack not knowing how it would fit but so far i'm really happy with it.

codycleve

FNG
Its on a goshawk with a revolution frame.. I just attached the butt holder to the middle suspension strap and ran it down through the bottom frame corner to keep it back. attached the top just like you would to stone glacier pack.
Hey good to know man. Which Seek Outside pack?

Its on a goshawk with a revolution frame.. I just attached the butt holder to the middle suspension strap and ran it down through the bottom frame corner to keep it back. attached the top just like you would to stone glacier pack.

codycleve

FNG
I guess I should also point out that It works fine with just the revolution frame and a merlin for day hunts.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I should also point out that It works fine with just the revolution frame and a merlin for day hunts.
Well thanks for your feedback. Like I said in the video I had heard it worked on some other packs and then I started getting questions on social media about which ones and I didn’t really know for sure. So now I know! Thank you

Clarktar

WKR
I love mine, even on an Exo pack it works fantastic. I don't know how people deal with the under arm carriers. What a pain in the butt
The underarm are pretty simple, no problem.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey I got a chime in on something on this thread, because I noticed the same energy on here that is on social media where I posted it. This is not a stone glacier versus Kifaru thread. It was simply my observation of how well the stone glacier sling worked on a stone glacier pack.

I keep getting this vibe from some that I was trying to say it was better than the Kifaru, even though I never mentioned Kifaru in the video at all.

At the end when I say it’s the only solution for Hunting hands-free, I mean compared to trying to sling the rifle over your shoulder, or tie it to the pack in someway that is not accessible when you need to shoot. Maybe someone else’s sling would adapt to it, but I haven’t used someone else’s. So for me it is the “only solution” for Hunting hands-free. That’s what I meant

you should know how much I respect Kifaru— One of our original sponsors, and ran by one of the best minds in backpack hunting, and used and recommended by a pile of our members—But I’ve never owned one of their packs or their slings so in no way was this an under-handed passive-aggressive comparison to their system.

I know their system works well, has to or it wouldn’t be Kifaru. But this little Stone Glacier system does too.

Just wanted to clear the air a little bit. Thanks

Last edited:

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried both systems, and I have much SG love when it comes to the packs.
The major down side for me with the SG bearer is having to take the pack off to put the rifle back in it, and its just not as quick to get the rifle out and into play as the Kifaru. I hunt a lot of grizzly country (well I only hunt where there are grizzlies I guess) and having faster access is a consideration. And a lot of my hunts are solo so there isn't anyone there to ask to put my rifle back on my pack for me.... Feels like you are asking someone to tie up your shoes for you.

Having a rifle barrel in front of your face doesn't appeal to everyone either though, so I can see the attraction to having it behind your head if that bothers you.

I ended up putting both that and a gun bearer on mine. I don't know if my shoulders just aren't mobile enough or something for the SG but I really struggle to get ahold of the strap. I use the gun bearer while hunting and the SG when I'm heading in or out of somewhere and I want the gun out of the way.

I have both as well. I use the pictured lower harness (and I have an exo buttstock harness too) and then both the SG and the Kifaruupper attachments. I almost never use this one. It just sits there in case I want it.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've tried both systems, and I have much SG love when it comes to the packs.
The major down side for me with the SG bearer is having to take the pack off to put the rifle back in it, and its just not as quick to get the rifle out and into play as the Kifaru. I hunt a lot of grizzly country (well I only hunt where there are grizzlies I guess) and having faster access is a consideration. And a lot of my hunts are solo so there isn't anyone there to ask to put my rifle back on my pack for me.... Feels like you are asking someone to tie up your shoes for you.

Having a rifle barrel in front of your face doesn't appeal to everyone either though, so I can see the attraction to having it behind your head if that bothers you.

Thanks for the comparison

OldGrayJB

WKR
This sling was much more useful than I imagined. While hiking through 15 inches of snow, I found myself using my trekking poles more than usual. Having the ability to quickly access the rifle without holding it in hand was nice.

I'm glad I ordered it when this thread started because they've been sold out for weeks.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This sling was much more useful than I imagined. While hiking through 15 inches of snow, I found myself using my trekking poles more than usual. Having the ability to quickly access the rifle without holding it in hand was nice.

I'm glad I ordered it when this thread started because they've been sold out for weeks.
good to hear man. Im still using mine.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ive had one for a few years. I’ve never been able to get it set up so the rifle dosent sway around when I hike. I end up using one of the compression straps and strapping it around the rifle....and then it isn’t quick release at all.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ive had one for a few years. I’ve never been able to get it set up so the rifle dosent sway around when I hike. I end up using one of the compression straps and strapping it around the rifle....and then it isn’t quick release at all.
there’s been a few times my rifle did that too. not totally sure how I fixed it, but it seems that I had to adjust the distance between the top attachment point in the bottom sling, and make sure the rifle was super tight against the pack. Still every once in a while I notice it will flop and I have to readjust

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
there’s been a few times my rifle did that too. not totally sure how I fixed it, but it seems that I had to adjust the distance between the top attachment point in the bottom sling, and make sure the rifle was super tight against the pack. Still every once in a while I notice it will flop and I have to readjust

I should mess with it more, I like how it carries my rifles but like I said, I end up using one of my compression straps and then it isn’t quick release. In fact, I may even pull it out today and look at it.

thinhorn try moving the bottom connection that holds the butt toward the buckle of the hip belt. You need to tuck that under one of the straps on the side of the belt and then if it is still trying to roll, pitch the toe of the butt out away from your leg when you place it in the bottom cradle.

Mine only ever wanted to roll on my EXO because I didn't have a good way to hold that bottom cradle forward and the top connection was just to a compression strap and not around a stay. Every once in awhile with a heavy scoped rifle if it gets too vertical it might try to roll but those adjustments above will help a ton or eliminate it.