Stone Glacier Chilkoot 32 Degree Quilt Review ***Updated 1/23/23***

browncow

FNG
Thanks for this review. Have been running an EE enigma that actually just a little too short for me, would like to get one that covers my shoulders better. Which pad do you use?

thej5

FNG
I ran this from about August through November-December in Colorado. It was 150% better than I expected and really changed how I thought about my sleeping bags.

I too run hot while sleeping, so others may have different temperature ranges, but 20-30 was no real issue if I wore layers to bed. I was amazed when a hard frosty night produced a layer of ice on the quilt. Got up, shook it off, and that was it…ready to go again.

You do need a good pad, and I saw someone who asked about a hammock. That might work, but like the pad, you’d want some insulation on the bottom in cooler temps.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for this review. Have been running an EE enigma that actually just a little too short for me, would like to get one that covers my shoulders better. Which pad do you use?
I used several different ones some rectangular and some mummy shaped.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
How would you describe the durability of this quilt? Is it built to last?
Well I thing all sleeping bags and quilts are fragile so depends how you use them and take care of them. As you probably know, the lighter you get the less durable things are.

JSol

FNG
Have you tried any other quilts to compare this to such as the REI Magma?

How do quilts differ from sleeping bags? Don’t know anything bout em
Imagine the bottom being like a sleeping bag but the top stays open so you are being restricted in a tube.

I have the 0 degree bag and man it’s hot. That’s strictly a cold weather bag which won’t see much use here in Texas. This quilt might be the way to go.

JSol

FNG
Since you compress the bottom part of a sleeping bag when you sleep on it, it essentally has 0 R value on the bottom and relies on the sleeping pad for all of the insulation. A quilt removes the bottom portion of the sleeping bag to allow for a lighter and smaller component that performs relatively the same as a sleeping bag with similar temperature rating.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey, no worries I didn't either until I started researching. Quilt it typically bottomless. Some of them have a sewn-in foot box and some don't. This particular one has a sewn-in foot box with straps to connect it to the sleeping pad. I think the main goal is to is to save weight, but I have also found that I enjoy that I can kick my legs out when I'm hot.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since you compress the bottom part of a sleeping bag when you sleep on it, it essentally has 0 R value on the bottom and relies on the sleeping pad for all of the insulation. A quilt removes the bottom portion of the sleeping bag to allow for a lighter and smaller component that performs relatively the same as a sleeping bag with similar temperature rating.
Yeah, thats a great explanation. I must say it does crack me up when they still aren't much lighter ha ha.