Stiff or flexible boots: what do you prefer?

RCB

WKR
I’m curious about what hunters here think about ideal shoe/boot sole stiffness for hunting. Obviously the choice depends on the situation (what kind of terrain, season, activity), but the general opinion around here seems to be a preference for greater stiffness than I'm used to. I tend to lean the other way, but I thought I'd open the discussion.

I’m new to hunting (started last year), but have been hiking and backpacking for since I was a kid. As far as I know, the trend in the backpacking world has been toward “lighter is better”. Less boot, more shoe. This is understandable since (1) lots of backpackers carry light loads relative to hunters and (2) relative to hunters, they are usually on-trail. Would seem that with heavy loads and rough terrain, a tougher boot would be useful.

Consider my two outdoor shoes right now: Merrell Moabs and Lowa Caminos.

The Moab is very much a hiking shoe - wouldn't even call it a boot. You can take a brand new pair of those shoes and easily bend the sole nearly in half with your bare hands. Stiffer than running shoes, but not *stiff*. I did my mule deer and elk hunts in those shoes last year, packing out both on my back, and had no problem. Granted I wasn't carrying super heavy loads on scree fields or anything, but I think they would have been fine if so.

On the other hand is the Lowa Camino, which I personally consider to be a heavy and stiff hiking boot, compared to what I'm used to. (Ironically, I've heard the Camino mentioned on this forum as a light boot. Go figure.) The advantage of this boot is that I feel like a tank when I'm going over rough terrain and vegetation. The thicker, stiffer sole means I barely notice what's under foot, and the stiff rubber rand around the toe and heel makes stubbing my toe nearly impossible. The downside is that lesser flex in the sole means a somewhat less natural walking gait, as well as less grip on the ground. I feel less agile in them. They're also noticeably heavier, so I'm slower up the hills.

For most applications I prefer the more natural feel of the lighter Moab. Perhaps one day I'll experience a long, heavy pack-out on hellish terrain that will make me realize the great benefit of a stiffer boot. There's a decent chance I'll go for a bighorn ewe backpacking hunt this year, so maybe then.

I'm curious to hear your experiences. Perhaps you've come to the opposite conclusion?

Btaylor

WKR
After 3 trips in Irish Setter vaportreks I decided I needed something a little more substantial but didnt want a super stiff boot. Trying to hit something in the middle, I opted to order the Crispi Valdres. Havent had a chance to test them in terrain yet but it is a really easy to wear boot. They are stiff enough to notice it coming from hikers but not at all awkward feeling either.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm in trail runners almost year round, racking up 1500 + trail miles every year, BUT when elk season hits I'm in boots- off trail combined with steep terrain, dictates a little more underfoot- if you add 80 lbs of elk meat to the equation- even more so

my boots are probably considered relatively light- (La Sportiva TRK's), but have proven more than sufficient in horrendous terrain AND big loads

prm

WKR
I probably lean towards lighter and flexible. I’ll caveat that with the fact that you need some stiffness if hauling bigger loads and som stiffness helps when doing climbing steep terrain. My happy zone is a Salomon Quest with Superfeet insoles. I’ve also used some Crispi Guide GTX for a few seasons. Not bad at all, but they don’t breathe as well and I have sweaty feet. Comfort and ankle support are mandatory to me, followed closely by breathability and being waterproof.

10ringer

WKR
Prior to backpack training I used to run 50-70 miles per week and considered my feet to be very strong. Now after carrying heavy loads 2-3 days per week for the past 2 years my feet have grown by a half size from my arches dropping. After listening to Snyder on kifarucast I now know this is from wearing a boot that is too flexible and not supportive enough under a heavy load. I’ve exclusively worn Salomon 4ds and have enjoyed their comfort and breathability. To prevent any further damage to my feet I’m saving those boots exclusively for sub 40 pound workouts where speed is my focus and will be using a stiff sole boot for all heavy/long workouts. Hope this helps and saves you from foot damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I fall along the same lines as you. 90% of my hunting is hiking with 15-20lb pack sometimes at a pace as fast as I can manage. If we are lucky I can tough out a day packing heavy weight in a flexible boot. A lighter more flexible boot is easier for me to move fast and relatively quiet. Used Asolo fugitives one year that were too stiff and clunky for my likes even though it is probably considered a light boot on this forum. My main complaint about lighter boots is I am lucky if they last a season and usually leak water. I did try on the Thor recently and even though it felt really stiff in hand felt very light and agile in the store. I am leaning towards trying the Thor this year.

ElkNut1

WKR
100% on the stiffer side but not super stiff. With the stiffer toe box I have less issues stepping up on rocks & logs without the front portion of boot folding up. There's times I can only get the first few inches to grab & it's important it can support most of my weight. If I were hunting flatter easy to negotiate trails or not steep tough terrain then I could get away with about any reasonable non stiff hiking boot.

ElkNut/Paul

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I prefer something with support, but lightweight and flexible enough so that running up and down or across the slopes isn't an issue. Quick mobility is paramount for my elk hunts. Ski boots wouldn't work very well for me.

elkyinzer

WKR
I'm with ya. I like light and nimble. I feel like a big oaf clodding along trying to navigate rocks and deadfall in stiff boots. Maybe I haven't spent enough time in them to adapt, I don't know. But they just haven't worked well for me at all.

I don't do the pack training with weight deal, I'm not convinced it is productive. My daypack is never that heavy. Maybe for the pros the wear and tear takes its toll but I'm just a dedicated weekend warrior. The handful of times a year I am packing heavy weight I suck it up, take my time, and get through it.

I'm on my third pair of Lowa Renegades. I like them enough I haven't tried anything else recently. My Kenetreks probably have 50 miles on them in 2 years, I don't know why they haven't made a trip to the classifieds yet.

rm06

WKR
I don't believe there is a simple one-boot-for-all answer here. You should know the terrain you are going to hunt and that should drive the footwear you choose.

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
I have always have ankle rolling issues, so i go for a stiff upper and foot support. I like a "softer" shank, as i like to roll over branches and rocks with my feet. I am going into the mountains this fall for the second time and trying a stiffer shank and form fit insole this round as my arches were killing me.

Lawnboi

WKR
I run all spring, summer and fall in lightweight trail runners. I feel like I have pretty strong feet. General backpacking on trail I can get away with something lighter and more flexible, or just trail runners. I also train in trail runners for the most part with a pack, on trail.

Off trail I’m back to a stiff boot. Nasty and constantly off camber terrain will eat up my feet if I wear trail runners, or flexible boots. I can do it for a few days but fatigue sets in much more quickly than if I run a stiff boot. Having both a stiff lower and upper keep my feet locked in, shoe flex and twist creates hot spots. Stiff boots protect the bottom of the foot as well reducing fatigue from walking on a constantly changing surface. Also a stiff boot lets me grip with toes much easier, I don’t need as much surface area to get traction like I would with a flexible trail runner.

Add in meat and everything is amplified. I now need the support to keep my foot from collapsing. Risk of injury isn’t worth it for me.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
I loved my Salomon 4D GTX's before I tried a stiffer boot, I'll never go back to a lightweight boot again. I like the fact that you can't feel much under foot - makes hiking in the rocks all day a lot less tiring on the feet. Side hilling for hours is a lot more comfortable as well. Throw on a pair of micro spikes and you don't feel them nearly as much either. Add in hauling out a heavy load in those same conditions and I can't understand how anyone can prefer a lightweight boot, but to each their own.

They do take some getting used to - they feel like moon boots when you first switch over. After the boot is broken in though they feel a whole lot better and less clunky.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I wrote a multi series piece on this exact topic last year looking at the trend towards lighter weight shoes and boots.

This is the first one, but there should be a link in here to the hunting boots vs. Running shoes piece.

https://argalioutdoors.com/advice/hunting-boots-101-finding-perfect-hiking-boots-hunting

My take based on what I've read, experienced as a trail runner and backpacker for years, and heard from customers is stability is still important for most people and it takes years of foot conditioning for most people to be able to comfortably use a running shoe style shoe in the mountains.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I had ankle issues sidehilling in a lighter boot. I like my Kennetrek Mountain Extremes I went to very much. I wouldn't mind trying a lighter synthetic boot like the Scarpa in the future, but my Kennetreks work pretty darn well for me.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I hate stiff boots! I find I roll my ankle more using stiff boots. I ran the Altra Lone Peak 3 Mid Neo till mid October and the Crispi Nevada GTX in the late season, which is a little stiff for my liking. I really like zero drop shoe/boots.

I hate stiff boots! I find I roll my ankle more using stiff boots. I ran the Altra Lone Peak 3 Mid Neo till mid October and the Crispi Nevada GTX in the late season, which is a little stiff for my liking. I really like zero drop shoe/boots.

I feel the same way about really flexible boots, can’t stand them for mountain climbing/hunting. I guess that’s why folks really need to try/get fitted to different boots to determine what’s going to work best for them. As far as I’m concerned the stiffer, the better, at least up to a point. I say, up to a point because, no matter how hard I try to get used to plastics, I just can’t. That said, I have weak ankles and really appreciate the support that a stiffer boot gives me for extended side hilling and being able to toe kick in when going straight up steeper stuff. My favorites are Scarpa Mont Blonc GTX’s and La Sportiva Nepal EVO GTX’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk