Stick a fork in me - I’m done

Northpark

WKR
Pretty sure you we’re probably in my old stomping grounds. I killed a lot of elk in that unit when I lived in Walden. With the wolves there now plus the unreal hunting pressure I experienced the last couple years I didn’t feel the need to go back. I gave up Colorado otc. So at least you all don’t have me to compete against. Sounds like fun spending that amount of time out in the woods though.

I spent a week hunting archery for the first time in OTC elk in Southern Colorado and didnt see an elk or hear bugling the entire time. We saw a bunch of fresh sign but just could not close in on them. I am wondering if the OTC hunting pressure is changing the elk behavior. If the elk realize the typical bugling and calling in cows gets them smoked they are going to act differently? It seems like they were really quiet and found a place to get high with a food and water source and kept a really low profile.

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I feel ya cnelk.

Similar experience this year but with mountain lions. Had not seen cat tracks in the last 5 years in where we were. This year every drainage had cat tracks. Guy killed a bull earlier in the season and he couldn't find it. After many days of searching he found it drug up next to a tree and buried half his body in the dirt. Buddy had a big cat come by at 40 yards from him also.

Only two elk I got to bugle at me in 12 days were when I was inside 150 yards of them. otherwise the wountain was silent. Only came across 3 hunters (in one day) in those 12 days.. Came back yesterday evening. We are typically 75% success for our group in this area and went 0/4. Not an OTC unit.

Predators have a real impact on these elk. Need to rethink plans for 2023. This year was hard to swallow.

Nice moose shed!

I'm on day 14 or so, still got a few left...

I've run into some real jackwagons and a few that had it together this year.

It's gotten really close but always a step to fast or too slow.

I'll also be reconsidering a few things next year and I got a little local insight on the wolves as well.

Maverick1

WKR
We went 4 for 6 people in 6 days Public OTC. 1 cow and 3 bulls and yes we seen people and a lot of bears. One I stopped running to my son calling for me at 8 feet. A nice 300 pound Sow with Cubs. Things were a little hairy, but Thank God she turned and ran.
The one in the middle looks the best!!!

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
I just returned from two weeks in Montana and sadly I did draw my bow only to hit a big 6X6 high on the shoulder. Didn't phase him and almost had another chance at him two days later. It will take me all year to get over that screw up. We had wolves around us and heard them howling at night several times especially during the full moon. Lots of fresh wolf sign and talked to a hunter that saw the pack. Most elk came in silent, many catching us off guard. Like you mentioned, it's so thick in places it's hard to get a shot. Worked elk every day, really had a great.

Rambucsabillbul

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome you got to spend so much time afield with friends chasing Bulls. Still incredible your track record of that many elk harvests but that's incredible, but you sound surprised.
In BC , a massive piece of land, it is sickening the lack of government commitment and lack of funds for our Wildlife.
Only 7% of our tag, license fees goes back to wildlife. The rest goes into gov coffers.
Our Wildlife are taking a huge hit from mismanagement of Wolves and Grizzly Bear.
Government doesn't listen to resident hunters,
Our government manages by emotion and the voting public.
Wolves and Bears are hammering our Ungulates.
Moose, Elk, Caribou, MDeer, WTDeer. And of coarse, domestic cattle that free range here in the province.
We hunters are grateful to the BC Cattlemen's Association, as they are at least heard, to some degree.
We are loosing opportunity as hunters to Government, big business, and FNs are getting more closures on the licensed hunter through agreements with government, even when sustainability is not a question.
Wolves Must be managed..... Everywhere!
We all need to do more and go predator hunting too. Not many big game hunters are committed to predator hunting as well, it's usually an incidental opportunity, but hats off to those that are dedicated to pred management.
Get more wolves removed.

For you to have harvested 16 of 20 hunts, I wouldn't complain really.

In BC here, even if you live close to Rocky Mountain Elk, to have been successful 16 of 20 hunts is wow! But I done know your management methods either. I personally know no one that has any where close to your harvest rate.

Congrats.

I've been trying for a Limited Entry Draw for Roosevelt Bull Elk for more than 40 years.
All of our Roosevelt Elk are on draw.

This is my 1st time drawn.
Can't wait.

Foldem

WKR
We went 4 for 6 people in 6 days Public OTC. 1 cow and 3 bulls and yes we seen people and a lot of bears. One I stopped running to my son calling for me at 8 feet. A nice 300 pound Sow with Cubs. Things were a little hairy, but Thank God she turned and ran.
A 300 lb sow, dang that's a giant.

There are 2 days left. Today and tomorrow. I was watching a Cliff Gray podcast on youtube when i got back from my NM hunt, great stuff btw, and one of the things he talked about which really resonates with me because its one of the things i live by on these long hunts is, and I'm paraphrasing here, no matter how bad ones hunt is going, and how bleak it seems at the time, it only takes a second for your hunt to turn around and suddenly you find success. But you better have your mind right and stay positive or you wont be ready or you will simply talk yourself off the mountain justifying to yourself reasons for quitting.

Less elk and more hunters. That’s the future.

For those that hunted Colorado during the Glory days it will never be the same.

Elk numbers peaked around 2000 (at in arguably unhealthy level to the farmer/ranchers and out competing mule deer for space) and have been purposely driven down since.

Now “rewilding” with wolves will continue the decline and nullify the need for hunters…

Baller

FNG
Wow, 22 days in a row out in the field. I am jealous. Thanks for the share and information..!

22 days elk hunting beats just about everything except maybe birth of your child. Damn sure beats wedding.

Sorry you didn’t connect. I lost a stud this year. Picked wrong shot at 12 yards and lost probably best bull of my life.

gostovp

WKR
My son and I did OTC archery this year in CO. The hypotenuse of a right triangle with side A and B equal to 113.85 is the area we were in ( if you know geometry do the math)… anyway as WI boys I should have taken the advice of those on here and kept my $700 donation to CPW… those that talked about pressure were not kidding…the final straw was when we were going to go up a trailhead and there were ELEVEN other young guys ready to spike out up the trailhead ahead of us (that’s not counting all the other trucks parked there already). Every spot to setup a camp had someone in it. The experience overall was “interesting” to say the least… I will continue to try and get an elk in the coming years but it won’t be in CO OTC again…

Just returned home from spending 22 days of hunting the Colorado OTC archery elk season.

I never drew my bow.
This is the 4th time in 20 years that I didn’t punch my elk tag. So I’m still above average ;)

A week of that time, I had 3 NonRes buddies and my son in camp.
We had a good time chasing a just few bugles. It was a different year as far elk numbers tho. I called in a few elk but there seemed to be a tree in the way or too thick for a shot.
One morning, 4 of us had a bugling bull surrounded within 50yds. So thick he still slipped through without a shot.

We feasted well - fresh walleye, pulled pork, lasagna and a few cocktails.

Some things I learned this season where I hunted:

1- the wolves are a real issue in Northern Colorado. They kept the elk quiet and very dispersed. I talked to a nearby rancher on my out of the woods this morning and he said the wolves were seen chasing his cattle the other night.

2- ML hunters also have a real impact during their week. I drove over to the Owl Mtn area one day and was absolutely floored with the amount of hunters in that area. Definitely an area to stay away from!

3- Colorado OTC Archery Elk pressure is also a very real thing. Hunters damn near everywhere.

Next year is far away but after this year, I’m definitely going to reconsider some things.

I did bring home a moose shed tho!

View attachment 456163

Interesting to hear about the wolves. I’ll keep my eye out when I’m looking up in that area roaming around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk