State Compliant Muzzleloader

RunNGunSC

FNG
I‘ve decided to buy a muzzleloader but am confused by the various state hunting requirements. My focus is CO, WY, NM, and UT. My research is pointing to an inline setup as the best range and accuracy, but some states are picky about power and sabots. Do inline muzzleloaders use different powders (substitutes, 777, 209)? I also realize several states restrict scopes. Can I get a rifle that has iron sights and where the barrel is drilled for a scope? What other criteria do I need to focus on to remain compliant and get max range? Thanks for helping out a newbie.

Legend

WKR
Some states have a 50cal minimum.

Barrel twist is critical to match to your intended projectile.

Inlines can use real black powder or substitute blackpowder. Some powders need a hotter ignition so you want your primer to match the powder you plan to use ( ex. 209 primer with blackhorn). Yes you can buy one that is made to mount a scope and already has iron sights. However, high quality iron sights, like Lee Shaver, are a huge improvement over any factory offerings.

Of the states you mention, only CO has a .50 minimum (for elk and moose). Any inline theses days will shoot black powder or a black powder sub. You will likely want to shoot Triple 7 or better yet Blackhorn 209 powder. Nearly anything you buy will be suitable for shooting conicals or sabots. Some states do not allow sabots. NM and CO do not allow scopes. Yes, most are equipped with iron sights and are drilled and tapped for scope bases (but double check that on anything you decide to buy). For iron sights I recommend a peep rear and fiber optic front (something like the Williams Western Precision).

If it were me I’d look at a Knight muzzleloader. CVA and Traditions are the other popular entry-level brands these days.

A .50 cal inline from one of these that is equipped with iron sights and drilled/tapped for bases would work in the states you mention.

I think some of this is a little dated but this will give you the basics for the western states.

Bluefish

WKR
Colorado is one of the toughest, full bore .50 for bullets, .54 for ball for elk. Deer can be sabots. Also iron sights only. They do allow inline with modern powder, ie balckhor, 209 primers. I guess they figure that iron sights makes it primitive enough.

Colorado is one of the toughest, full bore .50 for bullets, .54 for ball for elk. Deer can be sabots. Also iron sights only. They do allow inline with modern powder, ie balckhor, 209 primers. I guess they figure that iron sights makes it primitive enough.
Unless something changed very recently - no sabots allowed for anything in CO.

Bluefish

WKR
Just checked you are right. I confused the 40 cal for deer with allowing sabots. Co is only full bore projectiles also no pellet powders.