Starting TAC shooting this 2024 year...tips and advice!

Good morning folks...

I'm stepping out into using my semi-retired time to enjoy more outdoor activities. One of those choices is to start participating in TAC shoots near my northeast location.
I'm aware of two... PICO at Killington, VT and Seven Springs in PA. Both are withing driving distance(4-5 hours) of my location.
Is anyone aware of some others close to NJ?

As far as equipment goes, I have a ton of bowhunting gear, boots, packs, clothing etc. but would like any advice on particulars from you guys experienced in TAC shoots.
It's tough by me to find long range shooting areas where I can practice beyond 50 yards. I just purchased my first slider sight and I'll have to dial it in for longer distances. I've been a fixed 3 pin user for decades since I never have taken a shot at a deer beyond 30 yards! Twenty, 30 and 40 yards were my max. TAC shoots go well beyond that and I'm trying to figure out ways to achieve competency at those 60-100 yard shots. Hopefully, one of you have some intel that you can share to help me prepare for this.
Thanks and Happy New Year to you all!

Jbxl20

WKR
I’ve shot 7 springs the last 3 years.
Bring a small back pack with some water, snacks and clothing you might need depending on weather.
Extra arrows. Your hunting arrows or build something lighter for TAC. I’ve used both and prefer using a cheaper lighter arrow. I’m using Easton 6.5 for TAC vs my Easton axis arrows for hunting.
Practice a lot. After shooting 70-120 yards 40&50 seem like chip shots. Sign up for 1 course in the morning. They let you shoot any of the courses after I think 1pm at no extra charge. Prepare for 3-4 hours per course.
Have fun.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I shot at my first TAC event in Michigan last year and like you had no idea what I was getting into. It was warmer out so I just wore what I would wear in an early September western hunt. There is a good amount of walking/hiking so make sure you have good comfortable boots at the very least. A pack with a water bladder was great to have.

I shoot a 3 pin slider but I am bottomed out around 80 yards. At the event I just guessed the holdover and tried pin gapping for shots that were longer than that. Depending on the courses you choose to shoot, they are varying difficulty and distances. I shot one of the more difficult courses first and shots were 35-118 yards. I think one target was even further around 140 but no one hit it in my group. The other course was much simpler and easier and I think max around 60 yards. It was an absolute blast though. The tougher course had steep angles, tight shooting windows, and further distances. I highly recommend checking out at least one of the events. My group was not going into it trying to be competitive so just slinging arrows seemed to be more fun anyways.

1. Have a good rangefinder with angle compensation.

2. Get your slider dialed to where you can put it on target at 100 yards. There aren’t many shots further than that. Some of the sponsors do more technical courses, so the shots are through brush or in between trees.

3. You don’t need a crazy pack or anything. Just something comfortable to wear for 4 hours that will carry your arrows and water.

tdoublev

FNG
I’ve shot 7 springs the last 3 years.
Bring a small back pack with some water, snacks and clothing you might need depending on weather.
Extra arrows. Your hunting arrows or build something lighter for TAC. I’ve used both and prefer using a cheaper lighter arrow. I’m using Easton 6.5 for TAC vs my Easton axis arrows for hunting.
Practice a lot. After shooting 70-120 yards 40&50 seem like chip shots. Sign up for 1 course in the morning. They let you shoot any of the courses after I think 1pm at no extra charge. Prepare for 3-4 hours per course.
Have fun.

Do they let you shoot for free after 1pm at all events or if this 7 Springs specific? Actually shocked to hear this

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Schedule early nock times so you can get a second course in each day.

Use Archers Advantage and input arrow/bow information and print an angle compensation chart. You can use the range finder compensation, but I'm not aware of many that allow you to input bow speed and arrow weight.

Most of all, have fun!

Jbxl20

WKR
Do they let you shoot for free after 1pm at all events or if this 7 Springs specific? Actually shocked to hear this
usually in the afternoon you can catch a lift and shoot any course you want. You still need a paid wristband for them to let you get on the lift and onto the course.

Bwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
they’re a blast. Build enough arrows so you feel “less bad” about loosing a few haha

A great test and prep for season!

Brew1up

FNG
Lots of arrows, good hiking boots, and your slider sight dialed in.

I have done Texas 2 years with my 2 kids under 11 yrs old. They have only done 1 course each year and I’ve done 2. We have had a lot of fun. They can walk up as close as needed on any target so it makes it competitive but fun for them.

First year I lost/broke nearly a dozen arrows so spent the money on a slider sight to save money on arrows. This year I didn’t lose/break 1, so money well spent.

Best of luck on your semi retired outdoor activities.

OP
B
I sincerely thank all of you for your replies! Although I posted this a while back, I've since picked a few guy's brains I ran into here in Jersey that have shot one or more TAC events and they gave me their opinions/advice and 99% of it coincides with everything you guys have offered me.
So...thank you for that and I do have most of my gear set except arrows. I just dumped a fair amount of pesos on Victory RIP XV shafts and VAP TKO shafts. I'll be building my arrows to fit 2 separate requirements- TAC/3D and hunting. Obviously the lighter 5mm RIP XVs will be for a faster, flatter trajectory for TAC(5.9 GPI) and hunting with the micro 4mm CAP TKO(7.9GPI) for a bit more weight and penetration.
Having chosen my components for each shaft, my total arrow weight will be 356 grains with a 16.10% FOC for the RIP XVs and 404 grains with the VAP TKOs at 15.09% FOC.
Since I have a shorter draw length and had to reduce my draw weight down to 60# because of a total reconstruction surgery on my shoulder, pulling 70# isn't an option anymore! I envy you guys that have the coveted 30 inch DL and DW set at 70#! You get the maximum speed and power with those numbers!
Once I get everything set, I'll use mt bud's chronograph and see what each arrow produces as far as speed goes. I don't expect super fast arrows but hopefully can get the best of both worlds with what I have.
Thanks again to you all and Happy New Year!

You will need a flat brimmed Mtn Ops hat and a smedium shirt.
But it’s a good time and fun shoot.

OP
B
You will need a flat brimmed Mtn Ops hat and a smedium shirt.
But it’s a good time and fun shoot.
Mountain Ops hat???? Why? LOL I'm wearing whatever baseball cap I grab and probably a T-shirt of some sort. Smediums don't fit me but thanks for believing I have a nice slim build!!! :)
Mountain boots, a sturdy pair of hunting pants and I'm golden!!

It will all make sense when you get there. They are a ton of fun with a buddy or few. I would like to get to the OK and Big Sky shoots for sure.

Solid advice here already....

3rd axis. Make sure you have that dialed. An angle compensating RF (and make sure you range the targets with your RF that your sight tapes are based on - dont trust someone elses RF). Id say you dont really need a backpack, you could get by with something like a kifaru quiver with a bottle of water as there are refill stations - but if you are using it as prep for western hunts, Id wear a backpack and bino harness so you get used to shooting with them on.

Go to a few different ones, and youll develop a favorite. Ive been to TN, TX, OK, CO and 2 different locations in UT. If you gave me that list without knowing, Id say OK would be one of the bottom 2 - but its been pretty clearly my favorite event. UT has the best terrain, but its also swarming with instahunters and people filming YT videos and its just not my bag.

Id start with either the leupold or black rifle courses. The other courses get western pretty quick. Get your feet wet on the more shooter friendly courses first. Pay attention to the targets with a boatload of arrows stuck in trees and think outside the box. Occams razor and all.

Wear the boots you plan to wear on hunts, and if you dont plan to hunt out west, wear good footwear - the courses are longer than you might think.

I would say be ready for frustration as well while entering.If you get the times and courses you want to shoot than it’s alot of fun but the registration is a nightmare.Been to ok both years and logged in instantly and both years I haven’t got the courses I want.
I’ll give it another shot this year and if it’s the same I’ll pass and shoot a few newer events in the area.
Its definitely a common denominator as I know about a dozen guys that love it but say the same thing.

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
Footwear. My first event at Seven Springs I wore sneaker style hiking shoes and my feet and ankles were beat by the end of the day. In fact, I was whipped. Now I wear my Crispis.

I use a backpack style quiver that holds a water bladder. Forget who makes it. Get your sight tape dialed in.

Above all, have fun.