Starting point for 6.5CM

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get a starting recipe, novice match grade, probably 140gr, out of a 24" Savage 110, longest shot to 1000yds. Just wanting to calculate a ballpark $/shot.

I have no reloading gear yet, ill be asking about that next if the $/shot is favorable.

Thanks

Geewhiz

WKR
I couldn't tell you but I think you could fairly easily look up a reloading manual and get a starting point

Edit: I couldn't help myself.

h2so4

WKR
Id probably start with an assortment of factory ammo to see what you/rifle likes best. I’d guess it’s going to take at least 2+ years of shooting to cover the costs of the reloading equipment + time for learning.

cost per reloaded round is about $1 per round but will change a little depending on brass cost and how many reloads you get out of it. $1 is based on 10 reloads on a piece of brass from new. this includes primer powder and bullet 140eldm
I think this is what you are asking

Matt5266

WKR
H4350 is what I load and is sort of the go to powder for 6.5 Creedmoor. Every rifle I've owned has loved the hornady 143 eldx and both the 140 and 147 eldm. You cant go wrong with any of those

Sizthediz

WKR
A manual for reference is best. Download the hornady one. Also you are going to have a hard time finding large rifle primers right now. But you can load with small rifle primers. I have just started this process and I don't have enough experience with them to comfortably give advice there. I started loading with a lee breechlock press that came in a kit from cabela's. You will need micrometer for measuring, case gauge helps a tumbler, balance beam scale definitely read as much as you can. Go slow and be sure of what you're doing. Good news is if you search multiple forums (here, snipershide, accurate shooter, long range hunting forum,etc...) you can pick up used loading equipment that you will want/need. Good luck

Sizthediz

WKR
Im pretty sure Hornady had load info on the box in the early days that said 41.5 H4350. Its worked for me with 140s.
They did. If you Google the picks come up. Just gotta search through them. But they were with 120gr and 140gr Amax which have been discontinued. This where i started. Use at your own risk

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240415_142945_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240415_142945_Google.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20240415_142833_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240415_142833_Google.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20240415_142813_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240415_142813_Google.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20240415_142722_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240415_142722_Google.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20240415_142738_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240415_142738_Google.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 25

dan33

FNG
Im pretty sure Hornady had load info on the box in the early days that said 41.5 H4350. Its worked for me with 140s.
I've made 3 different loads for my 6.5 with all different bullets. Been a while but i believe all 3 were between 39 and 41 grains of h4350. I got ungodly groups out of a 10 cent gun with 39.5 grains of h4350 and 143 eldx.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
If your goal is to save money, don’t reload. The rabbit hole of precision equipment and additional money spend testing loads will just eat all of your dollars.

With that said, you should totally start reloading and people have great answers above on cost.

OP
B

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
If your goal is to save money, don’t reload. The rabbit hole of precision equipment and additional money spend testing loads will just eat all of your dollars.

With that said, you should totally start reloading and people have great answers above on cost.
A few points for my case.

I am only interested in reloading 6.5cm, maybe 308 later. Nothing else.

Im looking at reloading as a way to control/tune what I shoot for less cost than ordering custom.

My calculations put break even at about 1540rds, assuming $1000 for all equipment (just using the backfire intermediate list as an approximate) and .$65/rd cheaper than factory. and that does not account for my learning curve where I will waste components. It also doesnt account for a chrono, im leaning towards the Garmin.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider

Im looking at reloading as a way to control/tune what I shoot for less cost than ordering custom.

My calculations put break even at about 1540rds, assuming $1000 for all equipment (just using the backfire intermediate list as an approximate) and .$65/rd cheaper than factory. and that does not account for my learning curve where I will waste components. It also doesnt account for a chrono, im leaning towards the Garmin.

I think you are pretty spot on. Not sure what press backfire is saying to get now but I got the Frankford one a few years ago from his recommendation and it sucks because micrometer dies don’t fit and the dies don’t stay in place always. Also get a trimmer that goes off the actual length not the shoulder.

Lastly get the Garmin, it’s not worth screwing with anything else.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider

How much is your time worth? I look at it like tying flies - it's probably not going to be meaningfully less expensive. If you want something you can't get off the shelf, go for it. If you enjoy (or think you'd enjoy) the process, go for it. Strictly as a cost saving measure, I dunno. It'll take a long time to recoup the initial investment.

Sizthediz

WKR

Lol that is what we all said. I'm only doing it for 45acp, ok 3006, ok 6.5 creedmoor, ok .308, ok 38 special, 44mag another 6.5 creedmoor then 9mm but that is it. I swear. I Started with a lee breechlock to a Dillon 650 and then a redding big boss

Oh the rabbit hole gets so deep and scary. Come on in the water is fine

OP
B

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
How much is your time worth? I look at it like tying flies - it's probably not going to be meaningfully less expensive. If you want something you can't get off the shelf, go for it. If you enjoy (or think you'd enjoy) the process, go for it. Strictly as a cost saving measure, I dunno. It'll take a long time to recoup the initial investment.
Im not that busy, so time isnt an issue. Most of my evenings are spent watching tv or playing video games. Id be far better off actually using my brain.

I dont look at is as strictly cost saving, it could be at some point but it would take a while.

I look at it as achieving better loads for my rifle for less than paying someone else for custom.

OP
B

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
Lol that is what we all said. I'm only doing it for 45acp, ok 3006, ok 6.5 creedmoor, ok .308, ok 38 special, 44mag another 6.5 creedmoor then 9mm but that is it. I swear. I Started with a lee breechlock to a Dillon 650 and then a redding big boss

Oh the rabbit hole gets so deep and scary. Come on in the water is fine
Yeah I know all about rabbit holes.

Personally the only other thing I could get into would be 2 or 3-gun but I think rimfire versions of that would suit me just fine.