starting from scratch

kipper09

WKR
im new to this forum and for that matter any forum.. I am starting from scratch.. have been hunting whitetails my whole life and have decided that hunting out west is what I want to do from here on out... wanting some suggestions on clothing and packs.. have kifaru spike camp now and know that is not going to work out west.. thinking timberline pack and kuiu clothing with maybe first lite merino as base layer.. any thoughts or suggestions?

hflier

WKR
Those all sound good. Spend a lot of time reading here before buying anything. Also take it from a guy that has actually tried about 15 packs. Kifaru to start will probably save you money in the long run. Also, be patient and hunt your stuff slightly used online. Will save you a ton of cash.

Kotaman

WKR
You're on the right track. Go to KUIU's website and get one of everything but the pack. Order a Kifaru T1 or Bikini T1 and get the First Lite Base layers (or KUIU, but I prefer the First Lite) Keep your Spike Camp for hunt when a big pack isn't needed. You'll be good to go! That way you will have done things right the first time and not spending a ton upgrading to the above.

Kotaman

WKR
Oh, and on the KUIU stuff, you can skip the rain gear (Chugach) and softshell (Guide) if you just buy a Yukon jacket the first go around. If there has ever been one jacket that can do it all out West, it is the Yukon. I have all three and use all three, but if you only want to buy one, the Yukon is the one.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
I guess what I am really wanting to do is get it right the first time.. I appreciate all of your feedback.. the kuiu line appears to be a good place to start.. as far as the pack I have a few more doubts about.. I am basically trying to get something that will cover all bases.. im not sure if I need the bikini frame or the regular timberline pack. I had even looked at the timberline 2, thought it may be ok if I added some pouches and pods..

People here have given you suggestions on gear that is great and has worked for them. I'm gonna take a slightly different route and say that there is no "right" answer. Budget is a big consideration, but keep in mind even if budget is out of the questions there are many companies out there that make quality stuff. In other words, if you stick to quality gear you'll have a hard time going wrong. To me not going wrong is more important that getting it "right." My first elk hunt I had an Eberlestock pack and I had some clothing from Cabela's and I was just fine. Keep in mind this is also very dependent on your expected hunting style -- certain gear will serve you well out of a drop camp but not so well during a 7-day backpack hunt.

This is a great community here, but don't just rely on the opinions of folks here. Take a look around and see what others have to say as well -- chances are you will learn even more if you do so. Also learn about what gear you need moreso than which company's gear you need. Once you have a feel for that, I'd take a look at the following brands (I know I'm leaving some off the list):

- Eberlestock
- Mystery Ranch
- Badlands
- Kifaru
- First Lite
- Kuiu
- Sitka
- Under Armour
- Core4 Element
- Kryptek
- Russell

Good luck!!

Kotaman

WKR
The T2 is a great pack option for a "do all" pack. The regular T2 is my go to pack. I preferred it to the Bikini for my use and felt it was more comfortable with less barrelling. The T2 is big enough for extended back pack trips and packs down nicely into daypack mode. Keep in mind that the T1 is basically the same size but adds capacity with the addition of a snow collar. So if you ever think you'll need a larger pack, go with the T1. There are times I wish I had a T1.

Bigeasy brings up some good points but as far as clothing, if you want the best, go with KUIU. I've owned the whole Sitka line, most of the Russell line and countless items from UA, Cabelas and Core4. I currently own the complete KUIU line and the complete Kryptek line and while the Kryptek is great stuff, it is NOT the same material quality as the KUIU.

At least if you buy Kifaru and Kuiu the first time, you will have started with some of the best and won't ever wonder if you can "upgrade" by getting something else. DISCLAIMER: "best" for me.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
thanks kotaman.. I want to make sure I am understanding this correctly... the t2 and t1 are basically the same size other than the snow collar? I read a lot of people cut those off to save weight.. is that the thing that unrolls and gives you more capacity? the way I see it I thought the t2 would be a better day pack.. I do want something that will handle a 7 day hard hunt like mtn goat or sheep.. these are all on the list.. how do you all feel about this?

flatfoot

FNG
Hey there. I'm kind of in the same boat starting from scratch and have based many of the decisions based on reviews on the forum. Just wanted to give you some feedback on the buying "experience" with KUIU. First, there is no place like to try items on like say Sitka or Kryptek where you can go to Cabelas. If you are off on size that means paying shipping 2 ways again. Second, the pants are all one size length, so unless you have very, very long legs you need to factor in a trip to the tailor or a favor from the wife. Third, the website can be a little quirky. It is sometimes easier to search for a specific item on the website rather than clicking to general areas (clothing -> outerwear -> jacket) because things often do not show up though they may be in stock.

Other than that, they are very responsive on the phone and my interactions have been pleasant. The brand just requires a little more effort from the consumer than others. Not trying to discourage you from going that route; just trying to give you a heads up of what to expect since it is a somewhat unique proposition.

flatfoot

FNG
Hey there. I'm kind of in the same boat starting from scratch and have based many of the decisions based on reviews on the forum. Just wanted to give you some feedback on the buying "experience" with KUIU. First, there is no place like to try items on like say Sitka or Kryptek where you can go to Cabelas. If you are off on size that means paying shipping 2 ways again. Second, the pants are all one size length, so unless you have very, very long legs you need to factor in a trip to the tailor or a favor from the wife. Third, the website can be a little quirky. It is sometimes easier to search for a specific item on the website rather than clicking to general areas (clothing -> outerwear -> jacket) because things often do not show up though they may be in stock.

Other than that, they are very responsive on the phone and my interactions have been pleasant. The brand just requires a little more effort from the consumer than others. Not trying to discourage you from going that route; just trying to give you a heads up of what to expect since it is a somewhat unique proposition.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
ill just go ahead and give you all the thoughts I have in mind..
baselayers- firstlite
kuiu attack pant, guide pant and chugach pant
kuiu guide jacket, super down zip t, and chugach jacket
outdoor research crocodile gators
crispi htg gtx boots..
the pack is what im struggling with.. do you all think these are all good picks? kotaman u say the Yukon will do it all, that is something until now I hadn't thought about but I am now considering

Manosteel

WKR
The T1 and T2 are not the same size. The T1 has slightly bigger dimension all the way around (Taller, wider etc.) and the snow collar. If you go with the timberline 1 version, you should be able to pick one up used at a great price as a lot of guys upgraded to the bikini frame plus whatever bag.

Budget is everything, if you got unlimited funds buy new and go with the big names for clothing - Kuiu, Krypteck, First Lite, Sitka. I have used Under Armour, Core4 Element, Russell and Cables micro stuff with no complaints. I now have a system with clothing from multiply companies and it works great. Look for sales on camofire and boxing day. I got a crap load of Kryptek stuff from my local cabalas last year in a 40% off spring sale, I loved all of it and will continue to use all of it but their pants.

Search gear lists here and you see what people use, the good stuff will pop up often.
Don't skimp on two things - Pack and boots - they can literially make or break your hunt! buy the best you can affoard.

Rizzy

WKR
Welcome to the forum guys!

The first thing I would decide is what season/animal(s) you want to hunt, where and how long you want to stay in the backcountry. Then you can start to get gear that will be necessary for those conditions. A lot of the gear is the same no matter what, but not all.

I wouldn't recommend doing a long 5 day plus backpack hunt your first time out here, try some day hunts the first few days, then overnighters when you find a good place to glass, then 3 dayers to hunt and pack meat out, etc. This will give you more room for gear error/failure, and if your not seeing animals you can hike out and move to another area easier/faster. Unless of course you just want to get out and backpack and are not overly concerned with harvesting.

The kifaru bikini or duplex frame is a good choice, you can attach different bags to either frame. So if one bag choice is not working for you then you can try a different bag without having to get a whole new pack system. This season I used the same Highcamp 4800 and Bikini frame for everything from day hunts to extended stay hunts, from April to November. Last season I used a KU3700 in the same manner, and before that I used a badlands 2200 for day hunts and short trips.

For clothing, All the sponsors of this site make great stuff, just see what fits your budget and wait for a good price. I reallast seaoy like the Firstlite base layers I have and the Kuiu Attack pants.

Kotaman

WKR
My understanding is that the T1 is slightly larger in circumference (4 inches?) to the T2 but they are the same height EXCEPT the T1 has the rather large snow collar. Maybe Aaron will chime in here because he would know. I can carry all I WANT to carry in a T2 on the way in. Where a T1 shines is for the way out with an animal.

Both the T1 and T2 go into daypack mode with ease. The Yukon jacket works great as a dual purpose jacket. You don't save a ton of weight with the Yukon, but it does save having to take both a rain jacket and a softshell. Your list looks great. Only YOU can determine what is best for the way/type of hunts you do. Looks like you have the right idea.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Don't forget to look at some of the other outdoor gear companies like OR and Feathered Friends and many others.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Justin thanks for responding.. Do you mean for clothes?? I was actually doing some research on some of that. Like the schoeller type pants.. You have any other suggestions?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Schoeller Dynamic fabric is a better fabric than anything a hunting company has to offer.

It's hard to find anything other than grey, tan or black, but is I had to choose one fabric, it would be Schoeller.

Feel free to PM or call me if you want some info on clothing or gear.

NOTE:

I work for Kifaru and Kryptek (owner of Rokslide as well), but I'll shoot you straight. I know how expensive it can be starting out.

720-937-1418

[email protected]

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd spend the biggest chunk of dollars you can afford on boots, boots specifically adapted for your feet and where you plan to hunt. Once you get boots, then pack, and the rest will work out. But just call Aron.. He'll steer ya right..

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin thanks for responding.. Do you mean for clothes?? I was actually doing some research on some of that. Like the schoeller type pants.. You have any other suggestions?

Yes I'm talking about clothes. For a pack I would honestly stick with something from Kifaru if you can afford it. (call Aron)

I will say that after using Kryptek clothing for the last two years, I'm really happy with it and have been selling a bunch of my other clothes because I don't use them anymore.

Check out these companies (I probably won't spell them right)
Marmot (great raingear)
Arc'terex (never had a product I didn't like)
Smartwool (favorite socks)
Under Armor (lots of great gear)
Exoefficio (favorite boxer briefs)

I'm sure I'm forgetting more than I listed and hopefully some other guys will list some.

Also feel free to call or text if you would like. I'm available from 5:00 am until 7:00 pm most days.
206-786-0889