Stalking Strategies for Mule deer

Hi all,

Looking for some ideas, strategies for stalking mule deer in oak brush/PJs with a bow.

I've found an area with low pressure and decent bucks in AZ, which can be easily glassed. The problem I ran into was being able to translate a pinpoint location from what im seeing to a coordinate on ONX. Essentially I can glass down into the large canyon which is flat at the bottom and covered with somewhat sparse PJs. Its open enough that the animals are fairly easy to spot with good glass, but i've failed 2 stalks which i attribute both to lack of specific location. There isn't any terrain to use to pin point the deer, and there also arent really any other closer locations to glass them from. What im left with is trying to use straight lines to far off mountains and a guesstimate on which bush theyre bedded under. I think in an ideal situation, id be able to get 40-50 yards from their exact location and then wait until they get up, but both stalks resulted in getting way too close and bumping the deer out of their bed (one stalk i got to 18 yards and didnt know he was there until he got up). They also seem to really tuck in, so its been difficult to get close and spot them in their bed. I think it would be easier with a more exact location. Any thoughts/tips/tricks for this type of hunting?

The only thing I came up with would be to have a spotter that could give hand signals to help guide, but I somewhat feel like thats cheating, and dont always have a second person ready to spend a weekend doing it with me.

Thanks!

BH2010

FNG
Besides hand signals, what about a two-way radio with an earpiece? It isn't legal in every state, but could be a huge time saver and really dial you in.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

OP
W
I thought about that as well, believe they're illegal in AZ for stalking specifically. One thing i did come up with is the SIG rangefinders appear to be able to take angle and azimuth measurements, so could potentially use a nicer rangefinder to pinpoint locations.

packer58

WKR
Yeah, radio's where legal are awesome. Hand signals work well if you and your spotter are well versed with your chosen system.
Iv'e wondered about this a few times with modern technology, RF bino's with built in GPS / compass, range an object close to your target and have a waypoint generated. There may be something like this already out there but not for civilian use ???

Take picture and circle where you spotted him on it and note anything that can be used a reference to re-find later ie ‘he’s bedded between a bush and a lava rock that is 20 yards behind another bush that has 2 pieces come up to make a devil horn that almost touches a saguaro with a 3 arms on the right and just 1 on the left’

Radios or texting with a spotter up high work too but not as good of a story to tell back home. Swaro EL Range w/ TA binos also bring you into a point you glassed up

OP
W
I really like the range finder idea, my current rangefinder doesnt do azimuth so its tought to figure out where on the radius on the map exactly it is, but great idea. Im gonna look further into the SIG one, that might be the ticket.

I like the picture idea too, i think i need to get more creative about markups though like you said. I always get down there and the trees all look the same...lol

On a seperate note, if you can see the deer bedded, its a really easy strategy to put yourself in a position and wait to stand up. I often have trouble getting in close and seeing them bedded in that thick stuff without blowing them out. Are you guys just getting close enough and then waiting/hoping for them to get up/walk within view? Or any tips for locating them in their bed when they bed in thick cover?

Rich M

WKR
Use binoculars and look for the antlers. If their head is up and moving around, rack should be visible.

OP
W
Good idea, this particular area the shrub/brush is 10-12ft high. Still good point though to look for ear flicker and tines with the binos.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I range find to know exactly how far away they are. I use a Maven RF1, and it'll accurately range out past 2000 yards. Once I know the distance, you dont necessarily need to know the azimuth to them, although that does make it easier. However, if you've downloaded the highest res onx maps, you can usually zoom in, draw a line in the general direction the same yardage, and then correlate clumps of trees, rocks, or other features on onx with where the buck is, then make your waypoint. Its not as easy a fancy GPS enabled rangefinder but it does work well. I also take a photo with my phone and draw a circle around where they are bedded, that also helps when you get up there and nothing looks like it did from your glassing point.

Traindriver

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the same struggles you are describing. I try to triangulate things that are able to be seen when down near the deer. For example some cactuses or Junipers with different character. Also try to give my self general direction points for how I'm going to get there. Like go from the big brown rock to the Burnt tree for example. It seems to help me plan my path then I know where my last point is. Hope it helps and good luck.