Stabs

I'm new to this site and to archery, but Im hoping this site will help. Im looking to get a new Stabilizer. My current one came with my PSE Brute X from like 5 yrs ago. It literally does nothing. What would y'all say for a decent Stab? I'm sure there are stabs for $200 and more but my wallet isnt ready for that.

Look in the Archery sub forum.

Lots of info in there, infact there is a sticky right now that shows a bunch of people's setups. Might not tell you what is the best, but definitely what is most popular. Show you several options anyway that might help you determine what might be best for you.

TX_Diver

WKR
I've shot the crossover in the past and liked it. Not so much for extending in the field, but I could mess around with different lengths in practice until I found a combo that I liked.

Currently using a 1017. Last year I shot a quivalizer and loved it too though so may go back to that.

Scottyboy

WKR
I recently switched to a stab from nockon archery and have been quite pleased. That being said, if you want a free (you pay shipping) 365 stab + back bar it’s all yours. Only used for 1 year, nothing wrong with it just going a different direction

sram9102

WKR
I recently switched to a stab from nockon archery and have been quite pleased. That being said, if you want a free (you pay shipping) 365 stab + back bar it’s all yours. Only used for 1 year, nothing wrong with it just going a different direction
I'd be interested in this if he doesn't take you up on this offer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
ryryflyguy11
Look in the Archery sub forum.

Lots of info in there, infact there is a sticky right now that shows a bunch of people's setups. Might not tell you what is the best, but definitely what is most popular. Show you several options anyway that might help you determine what might be best for you.
Sticky? are those pics?

Sticky? are those pics?

Sticky are things that get put in the top section of a forum or subforum. They don't end up pages back that way. I was referring to the cold bow challenge, it's full of pictures of different setups.

In terms of stabilizers I'd recommend something in the 8-10" length, weight is going to be a matter of how your bow balances. On a hunting bow I try to keep it pretty light. Only one setup could I shoot any better with a back bar, that was a target bow, I do shoot a quiver on my hunting setups tho. I'm different, I can shoot several bows just as good, sometimes better with no stabilizer.

Get something that allows you to play with the weight, then you can tailor it to your bow. Shoot it several sessions and keep a score of your shooting. Then when you make adjustments shoot that change for a few sessions and see if you are scoring better or worse.

OP
ryryflyguy11
Wick stick and Bee Stinger are two good ones to take a look at.
holy crap!! the stick is a good price! I might have to go that route. Man Ill tell ya what, I read an article about archery forums and it said nothing about rok, and I checked all the ones they suggested, but this site is way better then the other ones! AT is pretty good but there is just so much stuff on Rok

OP
ryryflyguy11
Sticky are things that get put in the top section of a forum or subforum. They don't end up pages back that way. I was referring to the cold bow challenge, it's full of pictures of different setups.

In terms of stabilizers I'd recommend something in the 8-10" length, weight is going to be a matter of how your bow balances. On a hunting bow I try to keep it pretty light. Only one setup could I shoot any better with a back bar, that was a target bow, I do shoot a quiver on my hunting setups tho. I'm different, I can shoot several bows just as good, sometimes better with no stabilizer.

Get something that allows you to play with the weight, then you can tailor it to your bow. Shoot it several sessions and keep a score of your shooting. Then when you make adjustments shoot that change for a few sessions and see if you are scoring better or worse.
Ohhh. I gotcha! Ill be checking those out for sure. Yes from what I hear (read) on forums is out here in the West a lot of archers keep quiver on. I really don't want to but people have said it will come in handy. Im going to be doing mostly spot & stalk so I guess its smart to keep quiver on. The wicks are good price form what I gather.

I don’t remember what article I pulled this from, but I saved it in my google docs folder on my phone when I was buying my last stabilizer. All stabilizers are going to deaden noise, but that’s just their secondary purpose. Essentially get the lightest weight bar, with the weight as far away as you’re comfortable with from your bow to have the maximum moment of inertia. A lot of marketing hype from big name companies try to get you to buy a stabilizer that’s $100+. I got mine for about $15 and it has worked fantastic for what I need it to do. Mine is actually a 10” side bar made for target archery.

Using side bars as side bars and back bars are a whole different story, but I don’t personally care for them. I think they are mainly just a personal choice.

‘Essentially the purpose of the stabilizer and adding weight to a bow is to raise its moment of inertia. Moment Of Inertia (MOI) is the measure of an object’s resistance to rotation. A high MOI is very resistant to torque. A low MOI is not resistant at all and is very unforgiving. The lower your moment of inertia, the more perfect you have to be. Your aim has to be perfect, your execution has to be perfect, and your form and muscle consistency has to be exact from shot to shot.

Good, well made, stabilizer setups most effectively raise your MOI. Your stabilizer needs to be as light as air and it needs to separate the most of its mass as far away from the bow as possible. The stabilizer also has to be rigid with almost no flex. Limber rods allow the bow to move through the flexible range of the rod before the mass of your stabilizer weights can have their greatest effect on rotation. There are many rods out there that are pretty stiff. The best way to check your rig is to just grab the rod in each hand and give it a bend. If you feel flex at all, it’s likely that your rod is allowing minor modifications to your aim after the release opens. Those shots that you feel are less than perfect end up just outside the line. The forgiveness that an ultra stiff rod can afford can keep those “just out hits” - “Just in”.’

rclouse79

WKR
I found a like new quivalizer locally on Craigslist for 100 bucks. I am tickled pink with it so far. The quality is top notch all around. My pin holds noticeably steadier over my old 9 incher. Plus now I don’t have to buy a tight spot with an adapter to fit my hha sight.

fish impaler

Lil-Rokslider
for moment of inertia, equation for a point mass is I = mr^2 where r is the distance of mass from the center of rotation. What this means in practical terms is that. A 6 oz 6” stabilizer changes your MOI equally to a 1.5oz 12” stabilizer. However this equation assumes a rigid, zero mass connection between the point mass and the bow. Every stabilizer has some inherent stiffness, and for equivalent cross section/material, a longer stabilizer will be less stiff, stiffness being proportional to 1/Length^3. So you reach the point of diminishing returns quickly, depending on the stiffness of the stabilizer shaft. Disclaimer, comfortable with the statics behind stabilizers, don’t know shit about actual stabilizers, shoot my hunting bow with the useless (from MOI perspective) stock 3”

OP
ryryflyguy11
I don’t remember what article I pulled this from, but I saved it in my google docs folder on my phone when I was buying my last stabilizer. All stabilizers are going to deaden noise, but that’s just their secondary purpose. Essentially get the lightest weight bar, with the weight as far away as you’re comfortable with from your bow to have the maximum moment of inertia. A lot of marketing hype from big name companies try to get you to buy a stabilizer that’s $100+. I got mine for about $15 and it has worked fantastic for what I need it to do. Mine is actually a 10” side bar made for target archery.

Using side bars as side bars and back bars are a whole different story, but I don’t personally care for them. I think they are mainly just a personal choice.

‘Essentially the purpose of the stabilizer and adding weight to a bow is to raise its moment of inertia. Moment Of Inertia (MOI) is the measure of an object’s resistance to rotation. A high MOI is very resistant to torque. A low MOI is not resistant at all and is very unforgiving. The lower your moment of inertia, the more perfect you have to be. Your aim has to be perfect, your execution has to be perfect, and your form and muscle consistency has to be exact from shot to shot.

Good, well made, stabilizer setups most effectively raise your MOI. Your stabilizer needs to be as light as air and it needs to separate the most of its mass as far away from the bow as possible. The stabilizer also has to be rigid with almost no flex. Limber rods allow the bow to move through the flexible range of the rod before the mass of your stabilizer weights can have their greatest effect on rotation. There are many rods out there that are pretty stiff. The best way to check your rig is to just grab the rod in each hand and give it a bend. If you feel flex at all, it’s likely that your rod is allowing minor modifications to your aim after the release opens. Those shots that you feel are less than perfect end up just outside the line. The forgiveness that an ultra stiff rod can afford can keep those “just out hits” - “Just in”.’
That's great info! I should probably head to the local shop to check some out b4 I actually buy.

OP
ryryflyguy11
Okay I have looked at the rugged patriot and the have great reviews on this forum and AT. so I am going to try one at my local shop...if he has them. Would any of you get a side bar stabilizer if your just starting out? Like I am pretty sure I am in need of a better stab b/c my current one is stock from PSE. I am sure they are useful for archers that know what they are looking for. I just don't know if I should get an entire set up with side bar with my new stab. After trying it out I am most likley getting the (NCO 10" w/ Dampener) but that grunt package seems pretty sweet tho!