Springfield Waypoint 2020 bolt

Hey all, I’m a novice reloader and have got a couple loads worked up for the Springfield Waypoint 2020 in 6.5 PRC. When using my full length sizing die (Redding bushing die) to bump the shoulder back I have removed the firing pin assembly to ensure the bolt will easily drop. With the Springfield bolt the handle does not stay in the bolt with the spring assembly removed. The handle tends to catch and is a pain to close and get a good feel for. Wondering if anyone has any tricks and can give me some pointers on the best way to do this. Cheers

Weldor

WKR
Unless I am missing something, the dummy round will be the same as your loaded round hence if it chambers and no hard bolt you are good.

OP
Hans_Grimsgaard
I’ll try to explain a little better. When checking for proper shoulder bump removal of the bolt spring assembly removes the handle of the bolt. When reinserting the bolt without the spring assembly it makes it difficult to lower and feel the bolt. Wondering if anyone made a temp solution to hold in the bolt handle with the spring assembly out.

IMG_3580.jpeg

Weldor

WKR
Ok, so you are trying to see if the round chambers with no issues? Nothing to do with the bolt.

waspocrew

WKR
While I understand what you are trying to accomplish, given how the bolt handle is not in place without the firing pin assembly, I think the solution for this rifle would be a headspace comparator. You can measure how much you are bumping the shoulders back, then chamber it to check.

I’m not sure of a different way to go about it given the circumstances.

I just use a headspace comparator to address shoulder bump concerns.

If you must do it this way, can’t you just hold the bolt handle in the bolt with your hand so it doesn’t slip out when closing the bolt? Otherwise maybe holding a screwdriver, allen wrench, or not fully inserted firing pin might work but I think you’re looking at the process of letting the bolt fall closed too literally. Main thing is just feeling the bolt close without resistance from brass against the chamber.

Last edited:

grunt1

FNG
Like the others. I use a fired case from the rifle and a case comparator to verify the shoulder bump of the resized case. In one of my riffles the case body remains tight in the chamber after shoulder bump. So I cannot feel shoulder bump on the bolt in the weapon. Just something to consider

OP
Hans_Grimsgaard
Thanks for the replies. And copy that I’ll just base it off shoulder bump using a comparator. I got caught up in the whole bolt handle drop thing but I guess it’s irrelevant if you can measure .002 bump? I have the Forster dial set and am able to measure using that and have been previously.