Spray waterproofing backpacks, experience?

BoneDok

FNG
Anyone have experience using spray-on water repellent on backpacks for hunting? Was walking through cabela's today and saw a can of spray for sale in the camping section - wondering if anyone has used it for hunting packs and if it you feel like it had any negative effect on your hunt (i.e. did it smell?)

I’m curious also. Not that my mystery ranch absorbs much but it would be cool if it was able to shed water even better.

Never tried it but I'm curious. Found this on the mystery ranch website https://www.mysteryranch.com/cleaning-and-care
b595b1d4ccff615b3e331927de3e090a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Phaseolus

WKR
Or you could buy a Seek Outside pack that is made of waterproof material from the get go.

That stuff will work in a light rain for 30min before the rain seeps into the structure of the fabric that the spray couldn’t reach. Bring a contractor bag or a rain pack cover. Both cheap and way more effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a product made by "303" that was a waterproofer for canvas boat covers. It worked amazing. I bet it would work on a pack.

I have used Detrapel on some jackets and have been very impressed with it so far. It is a treatment so water will seep after a while. However, I wore a soft shell in a good rain for about 20 minutes and stayed dry.

Willskee

FNG
I would recommend a pack cover over spray on repellent. I’ve tried it many times on jackets and pants with minimal success.

md126

WKR
I used Scotch Guard. Drys scent free and adds a little more water resistance. Won't "water proof" a pack per se but will help in a mild or moderate rain. I also brought a cheap rain cover in case of a heavy rain.

OP
BoneDok

BoneDok

FNG
Awesome. Appreciate all the replies. Doesn’t sound like anyone has any bad experiences with getting winded by game after spraying their pack. I think I’m gonna give it a shot. Probably get a rain fly too but it can’t hurt to spray some water repellent on the pack too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use an ultralight dry bag inside my pack. Then I can pull it out at camp.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I’m tired of my binos being fogged up after hanging out in my Alaskan guide creations bino harness that has been saturated with rain. Planning to spray the bino carrier with waterproofing spray before my next big adventure, hope it can shed some of the water.

As stated already. Nothing in a bottle will perform miracles. However, Scotchgard outdoor water shield is a great product. Will add some repellency and helps a lot with staining (blood).

Last edited:

hikenhunt

WKR
I've always wondered about this and now am convinced to try it. I'll still carry a pack cover if I know it will be continuous rain. But for a light rain or getting through thick, wet brush, I can see the benefits.

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
If your concerned about smell but have picked out a product then spray it on another item of clothing and see how it works.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You could go 1 step further and seam seal it too. I know the zippers are not waterproof but it’s gotta help. I would imagine if you spray it and use a pack cover it will stay dryer then if you didn’t spray it. I think you have to be realistic and know that nothing in a can is gonna be totally waterproof but it will probably help.

Not a pack but I have a military issue level 4 or 5 softshell jacket that I seam sealed and treated the fabric with Nicwax or something and I can walk around in a steady drizzle and I stay pretty dry. I believe between the stuff I did to it and my body heat drying it out from the inside is why it works so good.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
Most of those sprays wear off, quickly.

I bought a cheap wally world tent and COATED it for "rainproofing". I went to Bonnaroo and within 2 days it was already 'melting' off, you could see and feel it. From my experience, it is better just to get a "waterproof" item than to try and "waterproof" it yourself.