Spotting scopes in the $2k range

What are a guys best options?

I have an opportunity to get a pretty good price on a Leupold GR 20-60X80mm spotter - is it a good option within its price range or are there others that I’d be remiss to not look into? Thank you for any and all advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2rjs

FNG
I recently picked up a Kowa 77 from S&S for close to that price. I don't have much experience with other options but I'm very happy with its performance

Matt G.

WKR
Depends on what you are looking for. planning on packing or truck? if you look the forums classified you can find swarovski ATS/STS 65 and maybe 80. Kowa 773/4 . If looking for smaller check out the kowa 553/4.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

kota

FNG
The top end meopta scopes (meostar) are also really nice and in that general price range. A used one should be less than your budget, new will be more. It’s the same scope as the Cabelas instinct.

Reactions: WRO

sndmn11

WKR
In that range it's easy.......Kowa, Meopta S2, or Swaro. Plenty of used ones that show up frequently for sale.

I'll add Maven S1 to that list. I'd like to have a look through a Meopta/Nightforce.

Right now I have a Kowa 884 and a Maven S1A, they bested a Swarovski ats65 and it was sold.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
There is a used Zeiss Diascope in the classifieds for $1100; I’d buy that in a second if I was looking. They are fantastic. Leupold makes good rifle scopes.

11bar

FNG
I have a razor 85 that I think would stand the test of time. I hope to never use the warranty but it’s nice to have the option if something ever happens. I really like that they have a eyepiece with a reticule for spotting shooter corrections.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
During our Labor Day Sale we have:

Your choice of the Kowa TSN-883 or 884 Spotting scope with the Kowa TE11-WZ II 25-60x Wide Zoom Eyepiece for only $2,699.00
The pure fluorite crystal used in these models is the optimum optical material for reducing chromatic aberration, providing the ultimate viewing experience. (TSN-883/884 only.)
The extraordinary light gathering capability supports observation during dusk and during dawn.
All spotting scopes are waterproof to JIS protection class 7 and filled with dry nitrogen gas to prevent the lens from fogging.
JIS 7 = Japanese Industrial Standard / class 7 = Protected against the effects of temporary immersion in water.
Dual focus mechanism (Quick and fine focusing)
The well established Kowa focus system has progressed to a new dual focus system. The quick focus, with a large and easy to turn knob, will focus from infinity to five meters in two revolutions.
The fine focus, with smooth movements and pinpoint accuracy, is extremely useful at high magnifications and for digiscoping systems.

atmat

WKR
Used Swaro 65HD can be bad for $1500-1800. I’ve seen used the used Swaro 80HD go for as low as $1900 before. I’d start there!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'd like to have a look through a Meopta/Nightforce.

Right now I have a Kowa 884 and a Maven S1A, they bested a Swarovski ats65 and it was sold.
I had a Swaro 65 HD and then tried the Meopta S2. It wasn't really even close. But the Meopta is also 82mm versus 65mm so I'm sure that had something to do with it. But just the overall clarity was incredible in the S2. I sold them both because I just didn't use them that much, and then drew a sheep tag 6 months later.🤣

atmat

WKR
Not sure this is a totally fair comparison since the objective sizes are so different. But I guess the prices line up so maybe it is haha. There’s always some trade off.

That said, I’d love to get behind the Maven S1A. I used the CS-1A and was not totally thrilled, though it is nice (and cheap if buying used!).

sndmn11

WKR
Not sure this is a totally fair comparison since the objective sizes are so different. But I guess the prices line up so maybe it is haha. There’s always some trade off.

That said, I’d love to get behind the Maven S1A. I used the CS-1A and was not totally thrilled, though it is nice (and cheap if buying used!).

Potentially. I wasn't making the decision based wholely off of low light work though. I haven't a ue why that Maven spotter isn't more popular, it is very good. I suppose it's at the 773 price point with less mag and less FOV.

I had a Swaro 65 HD and then tried the Meopta S2. It wasn't really even close. But the Meopta is also 82mm versus 65mm so I'm sure that had something to do with it. But just the overall clarity was incredible in the S2. I sold them both because I just didn't use them that much, and then drew a sheep tag 6 months later.🤣

I have heard good things about the Meopta spotter, I've never had a view through anything Meopta.