Spotting scope rent or buy

bama85

FNG
My hunting partner and I are talking about going in together to buy a spotting scope or just rent one for a rifle Colorado elk hunt. Where we live there is no need for one. Is it worth the money to buy a spotting scope or just rent a high end scope for the week. Anyone have experience renting one?

huntnful

WKR
I’d just rent one. I don’t like joint purchases. They rarely work out long term.

Only spotters worth carrying are $2-3k and that’s a lot for a one off purchase.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used @Rent Outdoor Gear a bunch. They have a program where you can apply some of your rental fees to purchase the spotter afterwards if you decide you love it.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
What kind of elk hunt is it? Unless it’s a trophy elk hunt where you’re counting points and inches, I’d leave the spotter at home. Elk are easy to see without optics, and a set of 10x binos will confirm elk and confirm it’s a bull.

TaperPin

WKR
It’s not much more complicated to simply buy a used scope in good condition off eBay, use it and sell it when you return, probably for what you bought it for.

What TaperPin said. I have two spotters from ebay ,paid about half of new on each. Both were basically unused and in excellent shape. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Watch the classifieds here as well lots of great deals.

Netherman

WKR
What kind of elk hunt is it? Unless it’s a trophy elk hunt where you’re counting points and inches, I’d leave the spotter at home. Elk are easy to see without optics, and a set of 10x binos will confirm elk and confirm it’s a bull.

This ^^^.

Along the same lines, look at your unit and hunt plan to see what your glassing opportunities are. If you don’t expect to be glassing over a mile or plan on timber sneaking I’d skip the spotter. 2-4lbs of spotter will end up in the truck for the week after one day or even one long morning creeping timber.