Spotting scope objective lens: 56mm vs 85mm for backpack hunting?

I don't have much real field time behind a spotting scope. But I've owned a very cheap 65mm, a Kowa 554, and now have the STC.
I bought the Kowa after using the cheap 65 on a caribou hunt and was pretty unimpressed with the Kowa. I also broke down a bought a set of 10x42 NL pures and was extremely impressed. Shortly after I bought the Kowa they came out with the STC, so I sold the Kowa hoping the STC would be a higher mag version of the NL pures.
I just used my 10x42s and STC on a ridge top moose hunt and I considered burying that fkn STC and leaving it there so nobody else had to be so disappointed. When I look through the 10x42s on a tripod I think, hell yeah, that's what $2k+ looks like. When I look through the STC I think, I wouldn't give you $200 for this POS. I know this is an unpopular opinion and I think I may be expecting too much out of spotting scopes in general. Trust me, I want to love this light little packable unit, but I do not.
I got to compare it with a Kowa 77 and 88 a few days after my hunt with some friends that were shooting at 1000yrd rifle range. They were definitely brighter but not to a level that I'd carry that size and weight. Doubt this helps but that's my .02.