Spott-Hogg Tommy Hogg Sight

AZElk

FNG
Hello fellow Outdoor Junkies,
I am looking into getting a new sight and am really leaning towards the Tommy Hogg 5-Pin. I was wondering if anyone has anything positive or negative to say about the sight. Thank you for your inputs.

I have the Tommy Hogg 1 pin slider. Just like all Spot Hogg sight it is built like a tank. I really like mine.

I have the Tommy Hogg 5 pin sight. It is built like a tank, weighs as much as a tank, and takes a beating like a tank. If you are an ounce counter, then I would recommend finding something else. If you want durability, you can't find much better than this.

Even with the wrap, I think the pins are not as bright as HHA pins, so you might want to add a light. With 5 pins, I would recommend custom pins with 3 0.19 top pins and 2 0.10 bottom pins. Also, with 5 pins, don't expect to use the dial all that much. In fact, I've had mine for four years and I can't remember the last time I used the dial since I mostly practice within 50 yards here in the Midwest. If you live or hunt mostly out west, the 5 pins may serve you well, but if I could do it all over again, I would get the three pin. Then you would be set to 40 yards and can dial in the longer distances if needed. The 5 pins are too much of a good thing in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is my favorite sight.
My tommy hogg has already been on 3 different bows.
I did modify it by switching out the 3 pin housing for a trophy ridge alpha v3 sight housing. I did this because I like the idea of having a vertical pins sighted in 20-40

I really like the Tommy hogg but I am a bit of an ounce counter with some or my gear. I use the Fast Eddy now with a 5 pin housing and its been working out every bit as well as the Tommy hogg. For me the durability difference between the two has been negligible. Sure the Tommy might be a little more robust but unless you are unusually rough with your gear the fast eddy might be worth a look as well. Otherwise the Tommy is a great site. No complaints with either.

I got 3 pin. TO ME 3 pin is all i need. I have the 3 pin set at 25-40-50. Any thing over that and i use the slider and top pin. Most times over 50 yrds you have time to adjust. Many times they are under 50 you dont have as much time or cant move. Thats why i went with 3. Less clutter. Absolutely love this sight.

I've used a seven pin tommy for the last couple years and love it. Pins are set from 30-90yds dial for anything beyond that. Other than the weight it's awesome.

I shoot a 3 pin Tommy Hogg and love it. The other sight I was considering was MBG, which makes a very good sight as well. But as said before, the Spott Hoggs are built to last and with I need something that can take a little bit of abuse and still be good as new!!

You won't be disappointed.

Ryan

I used a Tommy Hogg 5 pin the last two years. Switched a single pin Tommy Hogg this past winter to get used to a new bow and for indoor winter league. Used it on 7 big game animals so far in 2016 and haven't had any issues other than with recent caribou shot opportunities. The single pin is making it very difficult to get on the animal fast, like I could with the 5 pin. I will be switching back to the 5 pin as soon as I am done sheep hunting this fall. I need to be able to shoot quicker as you only get a few seconds sometimes to make it happen before an animal moves, etc. Ranging, sliding single pin, drawing and shooting takes much longer than one thinks. With the 5 pin, I can easily range (if needed), draw and shoot with 5 quick references for aiming instead of the longer approach with a single pin slider.

I think the 5 pin is the way to go in most cases and you shouldn't have any issues with it at all.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

I shoot the Tommy hogg 7 pin. I will say I have never used the slider in the field but practice a lot with it on the range. I have it set where my middle pin is the slider that way if I ever have a pin fail in the backcountry I can still shoot that range with the slider. I just like to think of it as cheap insurance.

I will also second the custom pin configurations. Find out what works for you. I shoot .019 green for the top two and .010 for the remainder. Pin color goes GGRGRGG so that my eye picks up the center quickly which happens to be my floater.

Back