3 pin fixed sight for elk and Mathews Bridgelock ?’s

gostovp

WKR
So I upgraded to a new Mathews V3X 33 this year as I really liked the specs of the 33” ATA and the 6.5” brace height. I did NOT buy the Mathews for the Bridgelock sight or LowPro quiver technology, I bought it for the specs and how it shot for me. I have a 3 pin Spot Hogg Grinder non-micro adjustable… I love this sight because it’s dead simple and literally bomb proof….now I have people saying i should upgrade my sight to take advantage of the bridgelock technology … but literally all the sights for the Bridgelock are some kind of slider or movable pin ( there are few fixed pin out their like the Mathews one, but not many), and while I’m sure they are good sights, when I’m running up and down the mountains and dragging my bow through the briars and swamps here at home I just really like and trust my Spott Hogg Grinder.

1. Is the Bridgelock technology really that much better such that I should upgrade my sight? Note: I am not using the Mathews LowPro quiver either

2. I have the three pin Grinder because for my older eyes a 5 pin is just too much clutter. My personal max range on an elk size animal is 50 yards ( maybe 60 with known hold over).
Is setting up the Grinder at 30-40-50 a good compromise for not having a slider? I shoot a 420 gr Easton Axis at 28/60

Last edited:

JStol5

WKR
I think you should shoot whatever you’re comfortable with. I don’t think the Bridgelock upgrades are worth shelling out a ton of money for.

If you like and trust your grinder, 30-40-50 sounds like a perfect pin setup and go with it! If it ain’t broke…..

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Thanks. I’m debating if I should go with a 3 pin slider or stick with the fixed 30/40/50 pins. I’m waffling on a MBG Mountain Lite 3 pin slider but am really wondering if that would be much of an upgrade considering my skill and range.

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
I had the V3X all last year and never used a bridgelock sight. Then I got a phase four...and another phase 4 and did some horse trading and wound up with a few bridgelock setups and I gotta say, bridgelock itself really is nice in terms of balancing out the bow.

That said, why not a 3 pin spot hogg? Like the triple stack, that sight is bomb proof and can be locked down and sighted in at 30-40-50 as you like. Then you simply just use it as a rover later when you realize that your skill is most likely ready for that. I have a triple stack on my P4 29 that stays set at 25 top pin, 34 second pin and like 43 third pin. To me that plenty for 15-25, pin gap for 25-30, 30-37 or so second pin and pin gap for 37-41ish. then I'm good 41-45 or so. All with 3 pins. It sounds more complicated than it really is when I write it out. But you could really accomplish the same thing with that sight with a better sight picture.

Shoot whatever you want, but a SH Hogg-it (the dovetail fixed) will work with the bridge lock. Need to shim the sight as far in as possible, make sure your centershot is minimum 13/16".

That gives you the same 3 pin sight you are use to, but you will also get the 2nd and 3rd axis adjustment.

Weight will be more.

30,40, and 50 is what I would use in your situation I believe. You could probably set first as 35 and gain a little distance if you are comfortable, however you need to hold low at 20-25 yards. Probably easier to stay with 30 first pin.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved

If I was in your shoes I would get this with the 4” dovetail.

AH64guy

FNG
Old eyes here as well - and I moved to the same bow this year. I was on the fence about switching my Montana Black Gold over to the bridge lock - I have a five pin fixed slider, the last pin is the hold pin for dialing the sight housing past 60 yards. I practice out to 80, I shoot game at 40 or less, usually much less.

BLUF - the MBG sight in the bridge lock gives me a bit move stability than hanging another inch or so off of the riser. However - by moving my Tight Spot in closer to the riser - the quiver hood will contact the upper limb if I bring it in tight to the riser. I have enough bite on the mount to keep ot tight and from contacting - but I didn’t see that problem until I’d made the switch. YMMV

WBrim

WKR
I have been shooting a 5 pin BG verdict ascent, and just got a V3X. I am trying to decide if it’s worth getting set up on the bridgeloc, or just sticking the sight in standard. I appreciate hearing some of the setups people are using.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I was pretty close on this idea a couple years ago. I need to start patenting some of the things I draw up lol. I drew up tree brackets for tree stands 15 years ago and watched those roll out to market. I had plenty of free time in Iraq that last deployment. Still got a few ideas that haven't been taken yet. I better get on it.
c342721bf9382e2898b1fc0d78bdc9cb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
I’m using a Hogg it fixed pin in my bridgleock. Seems to have enough adjustment so far but I’ve only had the bow a couple weeks and haven’t shot it further than 12 or so yards