Sportsmatch failure

OP
Pickettpuncher
I can't remember how many times I've said that Ace won't have this screw, only to come home with the screw that I needed. Who knew they had scope ring screws.
The screw is an 8-40. They don’t carry 8-40. I do have a box of assorted “gunsmithing screws” and found hat I needed, but they certainly don’t match. The forever warranty on the box is rather useless. I can’t get a return email. Lesson learned.

go_deep

WKR
I'd it possible the screw was cross threaded?
Or you had a fine screw with a hole tapped for course, or vise versa?

OP
Pickettpuncher
I'd it possible the screw was cross threaded?
Or you had a fine screw with a hole tapped for course, or vise versa?
Negative. As earlier posters thought I may have over torqued them I checked the screws on the ring that didn’t fail. 20 pounds broke them loose, so I doubt I over tightened the set that broke. I’ve never had a failure of this type. Wish I knew what the cause was but glad it was caught at home on the range, and not on a hunt.

Fatcamp

WKR
I can't remember how many times I've said that Ace won't have this screw, only to come home with the screw that I needed. Who knew they had scope ring screws.

Ya, I've stumped them a few times, but not often.

I'm surprised they don't have 8-40. That gun screw box has been good to me

Gorp2007

WKR
Reach out to Sportsmatch, I stripped mine out and emailed them asking to order a replacement set. They shipped a full set along with washers and the proper hex wrench free of charge.

OP
Pickettpuncher
Reach out to Sportsmatch, I stripped mine out and emailed them asking to order a replacement set. They shipped a full set along with washers and the proper hex wrench free of charge.
I’ve sent 2 emails, not sure how many more I should send

OP
Pickettpuncher
Sorry, missed that part. I hit up [email protected] and they got back within 24 hours.

Are you just looking for two new screws? I can check the safe and see if I still have some extras to send your way.
I have a box of screws, but they don’t match. I’ll try the other email. I used the contact us part to send the ones I’ve sent.

OP
Pickettpuncher
Sorry, missed that part. I hit up [email protected] and they got back within 24 hours.

Are you just looking for two new screws? I can check the safe and see if I still have some extras to send your way.
I used the email you provided and got a response. They’re gonna send me something, whether it’s screws or rings.

i just had a weird issue where the sportmatch to84 dovetail clamp screws got soft or something and the hex wrench wouldn't bite into them anymore on two of them. some metal shavings would come out of the inside too it was weird. I guess that means it stripped? They are clamped on pretty good so going to just leave for now with some witness marks but eventually will drill the heads off and replace. i emailed sportsmatch and they are sending some replacement screws out right away so no complaints there.

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
I just had a similar issue with a Christensen cantilever mount. The screws for the pic mount were spec’d at 65 in. lb. I set the torque wrench at 30 to start. Never got there, just kept spinning. Nuts stripped the screws at less than half the recommended torque. Weird stuff happens. They sent me a new mount.

prm

WKR
If using loctite you (OP) are probably getting much higher actual torque. See starting at ~16:47

Video

Edit: I’ve seen material indicating it does change torque to others saying always reduce by 20%. I don’t know the answer. I do know any lubricant changes the applied torque, and Loctite sure seems to have some lubricant qualities. Food for thought.

Last edited:
OP
Pickettpuncher
If using loctite you (OP) are probably getting much higher actual torque. See starting at ~16:47

Video
I watched that the other day. I would guess the loctite could have changed the actual torque value, but I don’t know how much. I used to never use it, and did on these and had an issue. I used loctite again with the UM rings but the screws feel much stronger. I also didn’t use their recommended torque of 25 pounds, just 20.

OP
Pickettpuncher
i just had a weird issue where the sportmatch to84 dovetail clamp screws got soft or something and the hex wrench wouldn't bite into them anymore on two of them. some metal shavings would come out of the inside too it was weird. I guess that means it stripped? They are clamped on pretty good so going to just leave for now with some witness marks but eventually will drill the heads off and replace. i emailed sportsmatch and they are sending some replacement screws out right away so no complaints there.
I wonder if they got in some subpar metal.