spike camp vs 14r

I love my old spike camp bag for day hunts and general over nighters, but its the off season and my eyes are beginning to wander towards the 14r. who has made the switch and was happy? would this be a lateral move or an upgrade?

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Never owned a Spike Camp but I do have the 14 and know that I like the design better. I sure would hold on to that Spike Camp though.

Following...I had the Molle Express and loved it. Now looking at the 14'r. Who has both that can post some comparative photos?

i've owned a G1 spike camp, G2 spike camp, G1 express, and now the 14'r. kifaru listened to every issue people had with those original packs and incorporated the changes into the 14'r. they probably got a lot of flack for pulling the legendary spike camp out of the line but you've got to give it to them for pushing forward and trying to improve things. with the 14'r you get taller stays, a wider top opening, full length zipper, and an extra pocket on the lid that you can access without opening the bag. i'm on the fence with the big sleeve pockets sewn into the interior of the 14'r but that's a minor issue.
-

Trial153

WKR
i've owned a G1 spike camp, G2 spike camp, G1 express, and now the 14'r. kifaru listened to every issue people had with those original packs and incorporated the changes into the 14'r. they probably got a lot of flack for pulling the legendary spike camp out of the line but you've got to give it to them for pushing forward and trying to improve things. with the 14'r you get taller stays, a wider top opening, full length zipper, and an extra pocket on the lid that you can access without opening the bag. i'm on the fence with the big sleeve pockets sewn into the interior of the 14'r but that's a minor issue.
-

do you feel you can haul a quarter out with the 14r?

do you feel you can haul a quarter out with the 14r?

i honestly have no idea. my experience with these packs is day hunting deer and turkey in the mountains of VA. i don't doubt the bag could handle the weight without exploding but whether or not you can physically fit a quarter in the top opening of the 14'r I don't know. the circumference on the bottom zippered opening on the spike camp was slightly larger than the top opening of the 14'r. it feels like there was more room to shove stuff up from the bottom. i've had no problem getting a 50# bag of sand into them for training.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have had both but have minimal use on the 14r yet. No comparing photos but there is nothing I preferred in the spike camp. They fixed all my complaints with the spike. The 14r is much more refined, comfortable and accessibility is perfect.

I also really like the wrap around compression straps. If I were going to haul anything serious I'd be sure to have a grab it attached.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion, and contrary to what a few others have said, it will handle a good bit of weight with comfort. I've had 60+ pounds in mine and it felt great. The drawback is, the main compartment lacks circumference. It is a tall pack. Although it will handle weight well, I will probably end up getting a dedicated meat hauler. You can lash a lot of sleeping gear to the bottom of the pack and with a grab-it, it works great for a one or two-nighter.