Seek outside shelter or similar…. Thoughts, recommendations? Wanting to make the switch from a freestanding dome tent to floorless/tipi hot tent

A-aron83

FNG
Seek outside or similar floorless tipi style shelter for late season backpack/spike camp? Recommendations from anyone who has made the switch from a freestanding dome style tent. Primarily a solo shelter. Worth the purchase over bivy and a tarp?

If you are using a stove, and snakes/spiders/scorpions aren’t a consideration, they are pretty awesome. I only use my dime tents in Texas and Arizona now. Everywhere else I go floorless

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up the new Argali tent. Very impressed so far. Also, you can purchase the insert (due back in stock in a couple months) for the warmer weather protection from bugs, etc... Very versatile. I've also been impressed with Seek products.

I have the SO redcliff - its awesome, I love it. Its coming with me on a 10 day alaskan moose hunt in a couple weeks.

11boo

WKR
I have a big 8 man seek. Truck camp size shelter for sure, but their quality is first rate. It has taken some mean weather and wind, never moves even when you hear trees coming down.

Luked

WKR
I have the Seek Outside Silex.
I really like it but jury for me is still out till i can get some more use out of it.
but as far as ease of set up with Trekking poles and the build quality is top notch.

I have a SO Cimarron and love it. Another tent to look into is the Argali 4p or 2p tipi. Should be a damn good tent. And it's a Lil cheaper then the Cimarron. If your going with a SO style tipi, I would bump up a size so if you are wanting a 2p get a 4p. You will have plenty of room for all your gear and will be big enough for more people if need be. The versatility of the tipi is so much nicer then a freestanding tent. In my eyes a tipi tent is the only way to go

crich

WKR
Both systems have there place. It depends on where youre hunting and what specifically youre wanting/needing your shelter to do.

sndmn11

WKR
For late season?
I'd go bonkers in a shelter I can't sit in with the nights so long. I think a steeper slope with snow would be preferred. I'd choose a cimarron due to both points.

I'd be ok in a silex/eolus/guardian for summer though.

Northpark

WKR
I use both a “dome” tent and a tipi. For places where scorpions, snakes, etc. are a concern like hunting coues deer in the desert in October I use my Nemo Hornet 2p. Otherwise the cimmaron lite is awesome for everything else. I use it solo with my stove which is really nice on long nights in the late season. It’s nice to be able to lounge by a warm stove and read a book when it’s cold and dark. The cimmaron is a palace for one guy and gear and is comfortable for two plus gear.

PVS

FNG
I have the Seek Outside Cimaron with a Lite Outdoors stove with it. The tent and stove comes in at 6lbs, using a stick instead of a pole. It's not the roomiest compared to other hot tents, but it packs small and is light. For two people plus a dog it's perfect. I have used it with a larger group, up to 4 ppl, and we will bring other tents to sleep in and use the hot tent to hang out, cook on the woodstove, etc. If you are hammack camping and want a small hot tent to relax in, then do check out the Cimaron.

I also enjoy using the tent without the stove in the shoulder seasons. It sleeps 3 or 4 without the stove.

OP
A-aron83

A-aron83

FNG
Right on. Good info. I’ve looked into most of those mentioned. Will have to check out the argali tents. Definitely leaning toward the hot tent option and was pretty set on the silex or guardian due to the stove jack option and the lightweight aspect of both. Cimmaron seems great but a little heavier with the stove than I was hoping for. Thanks👍

*zap*

WKR
For solo and lite weight if your not wanting sit/stand height then the SO guardian may be a good choice. For unwanted critters you can just use a nest....I have a Cimarron and a bigger tipi on the way to try soon.... :) Maybe it will be nice to have stand up height and room for a cot....we will see.

akbrett

FNG
i had been using a stone glacier skyscraper back pack hunting. hunting partner bought a dyneema cimmaron. absolutely love it half the weight and a much larger useable interior space, can easily have both are pads and sleeping bags out and all of our gear inside. i ended up buying one for myself. i have not personally been in any high winds with it, that would be my only concern.

was out hunting with another guy who had a regular cimmaron and that thing sags like granny’s titties. bagging down in enough that my brother who is 6’4 was getting his sleeping bag wet.it was raining one night and the rain hitting the tent was knocking droplets of condensation onto him as if it was raining inside.

might have been able to remedy it with a higher pitch and get a little more air flow but save yourself the hassle and get the dyneema one does not sag at all and condensation is much less. if you go the cimmaron route i wouldn’t even consider buying one if it wasnt dyneema

*zap*

WKR
I was not aware of a difference in the amount of condensation produced between a regular Cimarron and a dyneema Cimarron... my silnylon one pitches pretty tight thou, not much sagging. I use line locks and the two guys outs to raised poles/branches. In rain the silnylon will absorb moisture while the dyneema will not...so it will sag some..generally pulling the lines tight when it gets wet solves any sag. I do the same with any silnylon tent fly. I guess dyneema may be worth it i you can easily afford the difference. The difference amount goes up as the shelters get larger.

Last edited:
For late season?
I'd go bonkers in a shelter I can't sit in with the nights so long. I think a steeper slope with snow would be preferred. I'd choose a cimarron due to both points.

I'd be ok in a silex/eolus/guardian for summer though.
I’m surprised at the guys using those little bitty tents in the late season. From about October on the nights are getting long enough that it sucks coming back to a tiny shelter where you can barely move around. I’m back to the shelter and it’s 6pm - I’m not even close to being ready for bed!

I’m surprised at the guys using those little bitty tents in the late season. From about October on the nights are getting long enough that it sucks coming back to a tiny shelter where you can barely move around. I’m back to the shelter and it’s 6pm - I’m not even close to being ready for bed!
Some guys need every ounce shaved off...

It's why I'm testing the Silex with stove jack this fall.

JayTx

FNG
Currently spending a week and a half or so in a silex. With gear and nice weather it works. Bad weather plus stove, wood and gear it will be packed to the gills.

I have a silex. Used it this fall mid Sept. Sheep hunting here in Alberta. This was my first use of it, I had only set it up in my back yard to seam seal before the trip. It stood up to uneven ground ,heavy frost, one night of heavy rain and constant wind( all 9 nights). my only issue was the included stakes, they are junk. I replaced them on my way home with MSR groundhogs. My Silex does not have the stove jack, I have a four man Kifaru tepee for hot tent use. Mine weighs right at 1.5 pounds with stakes and cordage. I am really impressed with it and will keep using it, for the weight of a light tarp I have an easy to pitch and versatile shelter. Palace for one guy and gear. Also used dead wood branches for posts so I could leave it up and use my trekking poles.

Last edited: