Seek outside shelter or similar…. Thoughts, recommendations? Wanting to make the switch from a freestanding dome tent to floorless/tipi hot tent

ethan

WKR
I have a SO redcliff and a silex. I really like both of those shelters, a lot. Depending on what the trip calls for I can pretty much cover whatever, and I’ve had both in some pretty bad weather and wind. Neither of them gave me any issues. If I were looking for a something in the middle and mostly for solo trips, I would think the cimeron would be about perfect.

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kifaru sawtooth and supertarp. I’ll use my supertarp if I’m trying to save room in my pack. You’ll need a bigger area to set up than a 1p tent, but it takes up less pack space than my big Agnes copper spur/poles. You’ll need to pack a ground cloth to keep your pad clean and prevent being punctured by pine needles. I use a contractor bag. If it’s really cold, I pull the trash bag over my whole sleep system like a half length bivvy. I like that I can move my taught line off to the side and light a small fire outside to door and eat dinner in my sleep system/tent in the cold and it’s a nice way to kill some lonely time instead of laying in a dark tent waiting to fall asleep. If I’m in really steep country, with limited flat areas, I’m going 1p tent though. I can fit it in an elk bed at the base of a tree. Gotta run both in my opinion. I don’t run a bivvy alone. I like to keep all my gear inside my tarp with me or in my vestibule out of the elements. Supertarp with a vestibule/stove in the extreme cold is bomb proof.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I like SO tents. I have a Dyneema Silex, a Dyneema Cimarron, and a Redcliff. My hunting partner has a Cimarron Lite and a Silvertip. I sold my Silvertip shortly after getting the Silex.

If I was buying currently, I would look at the SO Guardian and the Twilight. I have not looked into the Argali tents, I really like their game bags though and suspect their tents are good.

TCC

FNG
Based on going solo, I have a SO Cimarron an 8 man tipi, both are overkill for solo unless you want to use the stove. The ability to stand inside is great, but for solo hunts, I love my Durston X-Mid 1 Solid, if I know the weather is going to be decent. If the weather was going to be pretty wet or snow, I would take the Cimmaron +/- stove. If I didn’t already own the Cimmaron, I would get their new Twilight - I looked it over at the expo and like the size, shape and zipperless entry. Last thought, if you are base camping, get a SO tent, but if you want to be mobile, but not do a bivy/tarp- Durston for the price, quality and weight is hard to beat.

Own a SO dynemma cimarron with a medium stove. It’s a dandy set up. Dynemma is so light and strong and pitches very tight. However does not pack as small as nylon. For me it depends on a few factors if this is the shelter, that’s going with me. Number one the temperature, if it’s getting down pretty cold at night this is definitely coming. Number two the time of the year it’s getting towards the later part of the season and I’m spending a lot of time in the shelter secondary to daylight. This is definitely the one instead of a small tent bivy etc.. Number three would be inclement weather where I need to dry gear at the end of the day. A fourth consideration could be terrain. In the steps and deeps, I can often pitch this easier than a small tent when there’s no level ground found and then just dig out a bed inside the teepee. Hope this helps all the best!

700MtnMan

FNG
Used the Silex, Cimmarron, Silvertip and Redcliff all have been great shelters. I would pick the Cimmarron for backpack hunting with 1 or 2 people.