Speer bullets

Being old /seasoned has certain benefits as well as handicaps. For one I don't have to plan as far into the future. But a headache is where products are discontinued that you really liked - for a long time. Usually without warning.

I shot Hornady 175 gr, round nose interlocks for nearly 40 years. Very dependable and predictable. I am lucky that I have something of 10 boxes on hand. I have purchased four boxes of my second choice. So they will likely last me. It's a shame the companies can't advise us of anticipated elimination of successful lines before they leave us stranded.

Although Hornady has been a good company I'm not impressed with the direction they have chosen. I tried their Eldx bullets. Loaded and shot about a half box. I threw the rest out.

I'm certainly not going to shoot the last of my limited supply so I need something to experiment with.

I used to load Speer bullets and had good luck. However in recent years they have disappeared off the shelves . Any ideas why? Places to look?

Before you get excited. No I won't shoot copper and I have no interest in Noslers. Not even a curiosity.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Kinda funny. When I started loading, Speer and Hornady were pretty much it. I still have my original manuals from the 2 companies, near 40 years old now. Speer.com looks like they have stuff available.

LoggerDan

WKR
I like Speer, and just about every Sportsman’s Warehouse I’ve been in always had a good supply. All I loaded in a 35 whelen for a long time.
I like roundnose bullets as well.

gerry35

WKR
Can't help you on where to find them since I'm in Canada but will say that Speer has to be one of the best bargains out there these days for good hunting bullets. I do a search and order in since I live in the sticks, you might need to do the same.

I started a thread earlier this winter hoping to find some 180gr Mag Tips. My dad has shot everything with them for decades. They discontinued them several years ago. He’s 75, try convincing him that there’s a better bullet. You might as well rationalize with your mother in law, or yell at your neighbors dog. He’s down to a couple boxes.

They are an older school bullet for sure, but they knock elk down. We used to buy Speer bullets in Lewiston, ID in bulk.

gerry35

WKR
I used that 180 gr Mag Tip in my old 308 Norma Mag in the 1990's and into 2000's. Really liked them and wish I could still find some. Obviously there are great bullets today but those were really good and were inexpensive to boot.

I used that 180 gr Mag Tip in my old 308 Norma Mag in the 1990's and into 2000's. Really liked them and wish I could still find some. Obviously there are great bullets today but those were really good and were inexpensive to boot.
I shot the 175s out of my 7mag for years. Settled in on the load in 1993. My brother and mom still shoot the exact same load to this day.
They have always simply worked, from antelope to moose.

gerry35

WKR
Yep, not sexy looking but they just worked well. We used a lot of Grand Slams over the years too, 308 cal 165, 180 and 200's, the 7mm 175's and my favorite the 6.5mm 140's. Deer to moose with them.

OP
P
So what you folks are saying my target of choice is likely 175 gr grand slam when I can find them. I think I can order direct but I hate that. I had hoped that had gone away with the Sears catalog (except when I was 12 and looking at womens underware) .

tops911

FNG
I too wondered what happened to Speer. When I first started reloading in the late 1970s Speer seemed to be the most stocked in the stores. I kind of got out of reloading while in the Army and started up again after retiring. Even before the recent shortages I was lucky to see at most 2 or 3 boxes total. I guess being owned by the big corporation changed them.

Axlrod

WKR
Being old /seasoned has certain benefits as well as handicaps. For one I don't have to plan as far into the future. But a headache is where products are discontinued that you really liked - for a long time. Usually without warning.

I shot Hornady 175 gr, round nose interlocks for nearly 40 years. Very dependable and predictable. I am lucky that I have something of 10 boxes on hand. I have purchased four boxes of my second choice. So they will likely last me. It's a shame the companies can't advise us of anticipated elimination of successful lines before they leave us stranded.

Although Hornady has been a good company I'm not impressed with the direction they have chosen. I tried their Eldx bullets. Loaded and shot about a half box. I threw the rest out.

I'm certainly not going to shoot the last of my limited supply so I need something to experiment with.

I used to load Speer bullets and had good luck. However in recent years they have disappeared off the shelves . Any ideas why? Places to look?

Before you get excited. No I won't shoot copper and I have no interest in Noslers. Not even a curiosity.
Maybe you have a different definition of "successful" than the company making and selling them? At any rate if you really want round nose (didn't say caliber) look at Hawk bullets- they make a bunch of them.

Last edited:

IALoder

FNG
I really like Speer Hot Cors for hunting, my .243 loves the 90gr. That being said, the only place I could get a new box was from their website. The 168 gold dots absolutely hammer pigs out of my .308 as well, but they were available locally up until a couple months ago. It seems as though they're extremely hit or miss on availability even on the large online reloading retailers. Maybe feeding federal bullets for their ammo is keeping them from having much available for the little guys.

OP
P
I'm intrigued by the Hawk bullets. All these big companies seemed dedicated to reject their supporters. This might be a new direction.

2muchhp

WKR
Hey OP
I have a few partial boxes of various speer spitzers your welcome to them if they fit your arsenal. Over the years I have just gravitated away from them
Pm me if your interested.