Spear fishing a form of hunting?

Would y’all consider spear fishing a form of hunting? And has anyone done it and made their own speargun?

Phaseolus

WKR
A long time ago I had a 30’ sloop that I sailed to the Bahamas, we were poor compared to the other yachties and we fed ourselves and acquired fuel, alcohol, and food we didn’t have by trading speared lobster and fish for.

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
It’s got more in common with hunting than the peanut gallery here is alluding to. I blue water spear fish and own all the gear. The fish your trying to shoot know when you’re a predator and they know how to stay slightly out of range. The sharks also know you’re there and that you’re either food or will bring them food if they take it from you. There is a learning curve figuring out how to “stalk” prey species in the wide open and get a shot. You can also decoy them in using a teaser in blue water or a handful of sand on the bottom. You can also sneak up on demersal species using the bottom contours/debris. Neither of those techniques will negate the fact that the fish still know you’re there and can sense your intent.
Besides involving fish and water it has nothing to do with “fishing”. Similar to the way animal photography isn’t “hunting”.

Fatcamp

WKR
It’s got more in common with hunting than the peanut gallery here is alluding to. I blue water spear fish and own all the gear. The fish your trying to shoot know when you’re a predator and they know how to stay slightly out of range. The sharks also know you’re there and that you’re either food or will bring them food if they take it from you. There is a learning curve figuring out how to “stalk” prey species in the wide open and get a shot. You can also decoy them in using a teaser in blue water or a handful of sand on the bottom. You can also sneak up on demersal species using the bottom contours/debris. Neither of those techniques will negate the fact that the fish still know you’re there and can sense your intent.
Besides involving fish and water it has nothing to do with “fishing”. Similar to the way animal photography isn’t “hunting”.

It is hunting, especially blue water stuff. Once out of the boat with a spear gun it's a totally different experience.

We only do freshwater inland stuff, and it is still very exciting.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
When ever we are on the water, we are hunting for our target fish until we find them, then it's fishing.

I have spent a lot of time in the water and yes I would consider "Spearfishing" underwater hunting.
You are locating a particular fish, stalking/swimming into range of it, then selectively harvesting it hopefully with a well placed shot.

I’d relate it more to hunting even though it has the word fishing in it. With fishing, you can catch and release most of the time without harm to the fish….

Hunting, I suck at fishing but do ok behind a spear. Hunting applies to all kinds of quarry from elephants to grey squirrels from bobwhite to sandhill cranes. It’s not called whale fishing…

Attachments

• 7FAF5B79-9699-4ACC-BDDF-CD0D4FEDF48B.png
    7FAF5B79-9699-4ACC-BDDF-CD0D4FEDF48B.png
    867.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 47EED124-36FF-48F7-A8F0-39E6F796FCF4.png
    47EED124-36FF-48F7-A8F0-39E6F796FCF4.png
    613.4 KB · Views: 37