Southwest Colorado things to do, places to eat?

dpat

FNG
Looking for some tips on things not to miss and any good places to eat around Pagosa Springs, Mancos, Ouray, Co and Moab, UT. The wife and I will be vacationing in the area starting next week for about 10 days.
We are doing hot springs, couple jeep rides, Mesa Verde, checking out some trails and water falls and gonna hit the parks around Moab. Just looking for interesting things to do or see and any good places for a meal

Poser

WKR
Do you have a guided tour booked for one of the cliff dwelling houses at Mesa Verde? If not, you should see if you can still get one booked -that's the only way you can actually access the dwellings and its pretty cool and worthwhile. If you bring some optics along, you can get some good vantage points to take a closer look at the various dwellings.

Ouray has a Via Ferrata setup that you might look into.

Unfortunately, none of those places have particularly interesting, unique or spectacular food.

TagEater

Lil-Rokslider
Durango Silverton Train
Brickhouse 737 in Ouray
Hot Springs in Ouray (There are private spots too )
Hot Tomato Pizza in Fruita
Brown Dog Pizza -Telluride
Dallas Divide (You are probably driving past it already)
Blue Lakes (Its the last year before that area goes on a permit system)
Taco Del Gnar in Ridgway
Needles District (Canyonlands) is pretty cool
4 Corners

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
If you go to Telluride, Don't drive down into Telluride. Instead park up at mountain village and take the gondola. Its Free and has amazing views.

Me and my wife rented a slingshot ( 3 wheeled cars you may or may not have seen) out of Durango and drove it up the million dollar highway to Ouray and back, if that kinda stuff gets your adrenalin goin, that was honestly some of the most fun I’ve ever had with my clothes on lol Arches in Moab are certainly worth the trip as well

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
The Durango train is worthwhile (We just did it last week) but do the half day into Cascade Canyon. Stop at Tom’s Deli the night before and get an awesome sandwich for the trip!

Our favorite restaurant is a hole in the wall called “Baked” in Bayfield. Only open for breakfast and lunch but good and ridiculously cheap for the area.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
Ride the train from Durango to Silverton. I would recommend getting in the train car with the narrator as they can tell you all about history and different things along the way. I would ride the train to Silverton and take the bus back. They give you enough time to eat lunch and walk around the town before heading back on the bus. I would definitely drive to Telluride and then take the free gondola up to the ski area. Telluride & Jackson, WY are the two prettiest places I have ever seen. If it interests you, there is a mountain coaster and alpine slide at Purgatory which is about 20 miles north of Durango. There is also horseback riding near there and they rent UTV's there too. Dallas Divide at Ridgway is another beautiful place to see.

Btaylor

WKR
Durango Silverton Train
Brickhouse 737 in Ouray
Hot Springs in Ouray (There are private spots too )
Hot Tomato Pizza in Fruita
Brown Dog Pizza -Telluride
Dallas Divide (You are probably driving past it already)
Blue Lakes (Its the last year before that area goes on a permit system)
Taco Del Gnar in Ridgway
Needles District (Canyonlands) is pretty cool
4 Corners
Another vote for Gnar and Brown Dog

Brown dog pizza in Telluride is great. Home slice pizza in Durango is good. I think it’s called the pink pig bbq in Silverton. The train is great. We rode it during Christmas for the kids as the Polar Express. A little further away is the Chama Train and they feed you a decent meal at the halfway point. A little further south and the Farmington, NM area has some great places as well. If you can’t do Mesa Verde then definitely go to Chaco Canyon. Fly fish the San Juan. Rent a SxS in Silverton and ride the trails. Absolutely ride the gondola in Telluride and then just walk where you want to go. Dolores has a great hb joint and so does Farmington (Hometown hb) just went to Bar-d Wranglers tonight for my birthday. There really is a lot to do in this corner of world.

Carvers in Durango is good. So is Durango downtown diner, Steamworks isn’t bad either. 3 Rivers eatery in Farmington is great. If you get hb’s anywhere and they offer green chile then be sure and get some on your burger. Any Mexican place will ask you if you want red, green, or Christmas. I always go green. 🤤

Last edited:

bradyhunt

Lil-Rokslider
SW Colorado sucks. The area around the Springs is much better, pikes peak, garden of the gods, etc. Plus you're closer to the less busy RMNP and Estes.

Last edited: