Southeastern Oklahoma public land?

Zmoye11

FNG
Hey guys, I recently moved from Eastern Colorado to Atoka, Oklahoma.. Is the public land here worth looking into? Not looking for any specific spots but any info would be greatly appreciated.

okcaveman

FNG
Short answer us, yes, it can be very good whitetail hunting. Specifically archery. Areas open to guns can get a bit crowded

OP
Zmoye11

Zmoye11

FNG
Good to know. I’ll be hunting only archery. as far as tactics go.. good idea to run cams? Get an idea of a specific buck and get in early or wait for rut? Not looking for anyone to give any secrets but this is so much different than hunting the west spot and stalk..

Hey guys, I recently moved from Eastern Colorado to Atoka, Oklahoma.. Is the public land here worth looking into? Not looking for any specific spots but any info would be greatly appreciated.
Yes there's a crapload of deer all over Oklahoma. Scout it hard and make sure the area you want to hunt isn't a controlled hunt (draw) lots of them are. My family is from there and I lived there for 3 years while doing a job and I've had great success applying western scouting and hunting tactics on public land deer. I've hunted both south east and north west and shot lots of awesome bucks.

My brother has tried running cameras in several public spots in OK and either had them stolen or destroyed almost every time for some reason people find them very offensive there. There are quite a few less than desirable backwoods folks running around the wilder areas of Oklahoma ( no joke).

LostArra

WKR
As mentioned above, Atoka area is good for deer. I would not leave anything of value in the woods though due to shady characters or Big Foot.

The public land is definitely worth it, but as others have said I’d go during archery season if you don’t like crowds.

As far as tactics, man it’s hard to say. To give a piece of western advice that’s often thrown at easterners on this site, you really just have to get out there and put boots on the ground before you can commit to a tactic or time of year. Get out there as often as you can and cover as much ground as you can. Look for bedding and travel areas, feeding areas are so common and change so dramatically based on the mast crop that they should be a secondary consideration.

I’d say go run cameras but hang them a couple climbing sticks high. You’ll learn a lot from them, although you likely won’t be hunting a specific buck based on photos- there aren’t enough deer for that and they generally range too broadly.

BW96

FNG
I've scouted a couple places around Atoka. There's definitely deer there, and I assume some good ones, pretty remote. I talked to some guys that have hunted there in the past, supposedly locals are really rough. Supposedly one of the game wardens seems like he's out to get hunters. Granted if you're legal, what could they do? Most of this is hear say other than I've scouted there. All in all, cool country and I plan to hunt up there one day.

WoodBow

WKR
I agree with using a climbing stick or two to hang cameras. I have never had one messed with that was out of the line of sight and out of reach.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

20-30 miles West of Atoka isn’t bad hunting either…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okcaveman

FNG
Having grown up in SE OK, are there rough characters down there? Yes. Don't bother them and they won't bother you. Been far more concerned for my safety in any city I've ever been to, than I am in SE OK

Buck197

WKR
Having grown up in SE OK, are there rough characters down there? Yes. Don't bother them and they won't bother you. Been far more concerned for my safety in any city I've ever been to, than I am in SE OK
He's exactly right. Tourism has blown up, so they're used to outside people. People are as kind as you let them be

Buck197

WKR
I've scouted a couple places around Atoka. There's definitely deer there, and I assume some good ones, pretty remote. I talked to some guys that have hunted there in the past, supposedly locals are really rough. Supposedly one of the game wardens seems like he's out to get hunters. Granted if you're legal, what could they do? Most of this is hear say other than I've scouted there. All in all, cool country and I plan to hunt up there one day.
So as far as that game warden, pretty sure I could guess one of a couple you're talking about. There's a reason for that. Before you think it's a hard ass game warden, you have to realize, years ago this was probably 1 of the heavier illegally hunted areas in the country. I've nothing to back that up, but I'd be willing to be it's in the running. So as the modern Era of hunting and conservation has come about, alot of people have worked very hard to change the old ways. That country down there has always been a Hotspot that was unknown to the country for whitetails. With continued proper conservation, the deer will continue to gain better genetics, and more older age class deer. So there's a very profound reason for a hard ass game warden down there. The people are fantastic, I know I was born and raised down there, and hate that I'm off at work now. Enjoy that country, it's truly God's country. Don't sweat the game warden, follow the laws and it'll be a nonpoint, they just have to be a bit harder down there to reverse alot of things.

BW96

FNG
So as far as that game warden, pretty sure I could guess one of a couple you're talking about. There's a reason for that. Before you think it's a hard ass game warden, you have to realize, years ago this was probably 1 of the heavier illegally hunted areas in the country. I've nothing to back that up, but I'd be willing to be it's in the running. So as the modern Era of hunting and conservation has come about, alot of people have worked very hard to change the old ways. That country down there has always been a Hotspot that was unknown to the country for whitetails. With continued proper conservation, the deer will continue to gain better genetics, and more older age class deer. So there's a very profound reason for a hard ass game warden down there. The people are fantastic, I know I was born and raised down there, and hate that I'm off at work now. Enjoy that country, it's truly God's country. Don't sweat the game warden, follow the laws and it'll be a nonpoint, they just have to be a bit harder down there to reverse alot of things.

Definitely possible. I’m sure he’s just doing his job and some people don’t like that. No idea just hear say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had success, and know guys that have been very successful, hunting along the kiamichi river north of Hugo lake. A john boat is just about required to get deep enough and a climbing stand works great on the tall straight pines.

Buck197

WKR
I’ve had success, and know guys that have been very successful, hunting along the kiamichi river north of Hugo lake. A john boat is just about required to get deep enough and a climbing stand works great on the tall straight pines.
Good hunting right in there for sure. And the right idea. That jon boat gets you back deeper than most go right in there. The same premise. In a couple of spots along Frazier creek as well.