Southeast Idaho concerns

npm352

WKR
That's not true. That is not why they took all quotas away statewide.

When the SE Idaho female quota was 22, it wouldn't get filled until end of February or March, and that was only on good snow years. IDFG wanted to more evenly distribute the kills, so they went to subunits with female quotas. That's when the houndsmen around Soda and Montpellier shut down the outfitter by taking the female quota quickly. They didn't want to have all the lions shot out by a guy who hires a herd of high school kids to cut canyons so that every male cat in the area would die for $6000/cat at the expense of sound conservation and the sport they loved. I didn't participate, but I saw where they were coming from.

Then they made a separate female and male quota to address the outfitter concern.

It wasn't until after several years of separate female and male quotas when they took all quotas away. IDFG didn't take quotas away statewide to cater to an outfitter's complaint.

TheTone

WKR
That's not true. That is not why they took all quotas away statewide.

When the SE Idaho female quota was 22, it wouldn't get filled until end of February or March, and that was only on good snow years. IDFG wanted to more evenly distribute the kills, so they went to subunits with female quotas. That's when the houndsmen around Soda and Montpellier shut down the outfitter by taking the female quota quickly. They didn't want to have all the lions shot out by a guy who hires a herd of high school kids to cut canyons so that every male cat in the area would die for $6000/cat at the expense of sound conservation and the sport they loved. I didn't participate, but I saw where they were coming from.

Then they made a separate female and male quota to address the outfitter concern.

It wasn't until after several years of separate female and male quotas when they took all quotas away. IDFG didn't take quotas away statewide to cater to an outfitter's complaint.
Sounds like the complaint should have been with the allocation the outfitter is allowed then

npm352

WKR
Sounds like the complaint should have been with the allocation the outfitter is allowed then
Here is the problem: the outfitters are and were allowed as many lions as they can kill. They had no quota except the overall quota.

When I started hound hunting a dozen years ago, the female quota in all of SE Idaho was 22 (including incidental, non-hound related kills) Unlimited males could be killed until 22 females were killed. Half the years the quota never filled and typically about 50 total cats were killed in the region. They started making changes such as separating areas but upping the overall quota. Then they stopped counting incidental kills during deer/elk season which accounted for usually about a third of the kills. Now there is no quota anywhere, statewide. I got data this weekend at a hound club meeting that about 140 lions were killed in SE Idaho last season. Single outfitters are dropping double digit numbers of lions.

Most houndsmen I know, and I was at IDFG meetings discussing this stuff, actually advocated for a separate outfitter quota which would be under its own timeline...meaning if x outfitter had three cats on his quota, he could kill them at anytime during the take season in his licensed unit(s) regardless of the quota being open or not. Most houndsmen wanted that. It would allow the outfitter to take his time and get nice, mature toms for his clients, and not influence the public quota. I am generally against outfitter welfare, but I advocated for this, and most houndsmen conceded that the idea was sound. IDFG wouldn't go for it. However, in their defense, it would have had to have ultimately gone through the outfitters board, which is more complicated than commission made laws because they involve the legislature.

cck311

FNG
I hunted bear in southeast Idaho the past 2 years. This year I don't think I'm even gonna bother. I fully expect the snow to provide access issues for too much of the hunt.

My families ranch has 3-4 feet on it now in south east Idaho. I will still be hunting it for sure. Just will be very picky this year.

ezwy

FNG
Got This blurry picture of a lion on an elk it killed a couple weeks ago in SE Idaho. Plenty of snow and it hasn't stopped yet.
lion.JPG

We just got another 3.5" overnight here in southeast Idaho, bringing our season total to 85" here in the middle of the valley at 4,600'. We've had snow cover since early December, up to 18"+ at times. A few sunny days between storms in the last two weeks has melted the snow off of a few south facing slopes, and I've seen a few scrawny mulies at such places.

20230331_075616.jpg
I took this picture yesterday, and this is only at 5,200' in the foothills. Those two little black things are the tops of two fence posts. Obviously, the deer cannot be surviving much above the valley floor. The bad part is I haven't observed many deer in the valley either.

Edit: I just talked to a guy that lives on the west side of the valley, and he's seen a good herd recently.

Last edited:
I live in SE Idaho. The deer are struggling. On a local Facebook page, according to the driver, he counted “16 dead deer” while driving through the gap between Pocatello and Inkom. Which I wouldn’t doubt it but while driving 80mph is hard to grasp.

With saying that, I would still go but I’d be extremely picky.

To my knowledge, states do not refund permit tag recipients the cost of a permit tag or hunting license when they surrender a big game permit. I believe this policy applies to Idaho as well. I could be wrong about that, but I believe it's a principle that applies to all states. So with that said, it's beyond my comprehension why anyone would turn a tag back in, just because of weather. Ridiculously stupid, in my opinion.

WRO

WKR
To my knowledge, states do not refund permit tag recipients the cost of a permit tag or hunting license when they surrender a big game permit. I believe this policy applies to Idaho as well. I could be wrong about that, but I believe it's a principle that applies to all states. So with that said, it's beyond my comprehension why anyone would turn a tag back in, just because of weather. Ridiculously stupid, in my opinion.

They will give you 50% refund on tags.

I'm guessing you know next to nothing about winterkill and mule deer by your statements.

Deucebump

WKR
Im in a similar situation as the OP, may still draw CO, and will most likely have an antelope tag in MT, as well as guiding 3 friends for deer in MT. And Ill be applying for a controlled unit in ID. (Tiny odds of drawing tho)

My question to all on this thread is what is considered “SE Idaho”? I have been checking snowpack maps and not sure how bad it is where my tag is for. My tag is for unit 58, would that still be considered “SE”? Im guessing that area Has been hit fairly hard as has most of the west, but is it as bad as what you guys have been talking about? Im on the fence about hunting it or turning in the tag. Was REALLY looking forward to get back to ID after missing the last 2 years, but not sure its worth it.

Im in a similar situation as the OP, may still draw CO, and will most likely have an antelope tag in MT, as well as guiding 3 friends for deer in MT. And Ill be applying for a controlled unit in ID. (Tiny odds of drawing tho)

My question to all on this thread is what is considered “SE Idaho”? I have been checking snowpack maps and not sure how bad it is where my tag is for. My tag is for unit 58, would that still be considered “SE”? Im guessing that area Has been hit fairly hard as has most of the west, but is it as bad as what you guys have been talking about? Im on the fence about hunting it or turning in the tag. Was REALLY looking forward to get back to ID after missing the last 2 years, but not sure its worth it.

I would say a lot of the hardest hit stuff is SE of Idaho Falls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider

IMO - south and east of the INL