Southeast Alaska Rut Hunting Tips, By Jeff Lund

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Please give Jeff Lund (@alaskalund) a warm Rokslide welcome.

Jeff Lund is an outdoors columnist for the Juneau Empire and author of A Miserable Paradise: Life in Southeast Alaska. His podcast The Mediocre Alaskan Podcast is available on Spotify and Apple Podcasts. An archive of his work, hunting tips, and podcast episodes can be found at The Mediocre Alaskan.

Now enjoy Jeff's first Rokslide article: Southeast Alaska Rut Hunting Tips

Buck-3-Edited.png

Last edited:
@alaskalund Thanks for the killer write up.

What gives away a game trail as an "escape route"
Thanks!

Bedded spots give deer a feeling of protection, but they won't be so protected they put themselves in a situation with no option. So just off a nice game trail through thick brush there might be a nice little bed at the base of a tree surrounded mostly bu thick cover, but there will be a little hole in the back where it can get out in the case of something using the trail. Knowing that, if you can approach from a less obvious angle, you might put yourself in a better position to make a good move.

From this bed a deer could see me if I'm in the muskeg and take off out the back side without me ever knowing. It would also take off if I just plowed straight ahead to the edge of the muskeg.

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
Good article Jeff. Everyone hunts Sitka blacktail a little different and it’s always interesting to hear how others do it.

AK EricB

FNG
Matches my experience in finding bucks in the transitions most often. It's always hard to avoid the temptation to walk through the middle of a muskeg to have a "better view".

Matches my experience in finding bucks in the transitions most often. It's always hard to avoid the temptation to walk through the middle of a muskeg to have a "better view".
Better view and easier walking through the middle. Sometimes they are out there, but those edges are the key.