South Texas Nilgai Hunt - Public Land

Merc

FNG
I've never hunted it, but my uncle has hunted some down there. If you can find a fence crossing, he had good luck on those

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

jspradley

WKR
Did you draw the archery hunt? I put in for the rifle hunt and the deadline isn't until next month...

I really hope I draw, a Nilgai has been on my list ever since I first heard of them...

Good luck on your hunt..I hope you bag one!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
my friend shot one. he said he studied the anatomy since the vitals were laid out a bit differently. i dunno.

i heard he was delicious.

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Hey I was drawn for the Lower Rio Grande NWR Teniente tract. It's about 30 miles west of Laguna Atascosa so I'll let you know how I do. I've been to Laguna Atascosa before just to look around, and the Nilgai were pretty thick. Heck I almost hit one with my truck going down the road.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Congrats on the draw. That looks like a fun hunt as well. I put in for it for their exotic hunt.

I'm willing to do all I can to turn one up and I'm good to 500 yards. I hope those to combined will fill my freezer.

PF_JM

FNG
Finished up my archery hunt down there last Monday. Didn't get anything but I did draw back on a very nice Nilgai bull in area 3 on the west side of the refuge. There is good sign all over the place out there, I saw about 8 nilgai cows out in the open flats of area 3 in the evening that could easily be taken with a rifle If you are following the texasbowhunter thread, there is a lot of good information there. Have some snake boots and a good mountain bike, assume all water had gators in it. I know there are more rules for the rifle hunt and there is an orientation so they I'm not sure how travel within the refuge will be limited but during the archery hunt you could expect an interruption at any moment near a road. If you haven't been out there yet I suggest at least going down a bit early and finding the entrance, the road in is treacherous to say the least, will add about 30 minutes to your travel time minimum. There were some very nice deer taken down there but they were in peak rut and most were killed with rattling horns. It's an interesting hunt to say the least and I know there are some quality animals on the refuge but finding them is another story. The only advice I was given going in was go west and let the pressure push them to you. Good luck.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Finished up my archery hunt down there last Monday. Didn't get anything but I did draw back on a very nice Nilgai bull in area 3 on the west side of the refuge. There is good sign all over the place out there, I saw about 8 nilgai cows out in the open flats of area 3 in the evening that could easily be taken with a rifle If you are following the texasbowhunter thread, there is a lot of good information there. Have some snake boots and a good mountain bike, assume all water had gators in it. I know there are more rules for the rifle hunt and there is an orientation so they I'm not sure how travel within the refuge will be limited but during the archery hunt you could expect an interruption at any moment near a road. If you haven't been out there yet I suggest at least going down a bit early and finding the entrance, the road in is treacherous to say the least, will add about 30 minutes to your travel time minimum. There were some very nice deer taken down there but they were in peak rut and most were killed with rattling horns. It's an interesting hunt to say the least and I know there are some quality animals on the refuge but finding them is another story. The only advice I was given going in was go west and let the pressure push them to you. Good luck.

Thank you. I'm going to check out 5 and then a few spots in 3 and possibly 2 if I don't find anything.

Were the Nilgai moving all day? Or just as they got pushed?

Cool stuff, I didn't know this hunt existed. I lived in port Mansfield for a while to build the wind farm there (hence my handle). We used to see nilgai all the time and when I looked into hunts all I found was outfits charging $1500 to shoot them from a platform in the back of a truck..

It's true they are freaking delicious!

PF_JM

FNG
Saw the bull at about 11:30 am, I saw cows at dusk and also feeding along a road at 2:30 midday. There are some brushy islands out on the western portion of 3 that have good activity and it seemed that they were too far for most of the hunters to travel to. I would think that you would have some good opportunity at the nilgai with a rifle in the evening. The movement of hunters really can bump animals around anytime throughout the day. I talked to people who saw animals throughout the day so go out with the intention of sitting all day. Take a thermacell for the mosquitos and hunt the wind, the nilgai are very wary animals. It would be a good idea to have a cart for your bike too. No issues with flats as long as you keep the bike on the roads. The snakes out there do not rattle due to the pigs so watch your step. County RD 106 to the refuge says it's closed but I was able to get through with no issues. The detour to go around adds an additional half hour to access the refuge if you are coming from the campground to the north of the refuge.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Saw the bull at about 11:30 am, I saw cows at dusk and also feeding along a road at 2:30 midday. There are some brushy islands out on the western portion of 3 that have good activity and it seemed that they were too far for most of the hunters to travel to. I would think that you would have some good opportunity at the nilgai with a rifle in the evening. The movement of hunters really can bump animals around anytime throughout the day. I talked to people who saw animals throughout the day so go out with the intention of sitting all day. Take a thermacell for the mosquitos and hunt the wind, the nilgai are very wary animals. It would be a good idea to have a cart for your bike too. No issues with flats as long as you keep the bike on the roads. The snakes out there do not rattle due to the pigs so watch your step. County RD 106 to the refuge says it's closed but I was able to get through with no issues. The detour to go around adds an additional half hour to access the refuge if you are coming from the campground to the north of the refuge.

Thanks for the info. I've got a trailer hooked up to my bike and with weight it rides pretty well.

I didn't think many of the guys would want to walk very far. I have a feeling the rifle hunters will be even lazier than the bow hunters. I'm hoping they stick to 6 and 8. I praying for a cold snap so I don't have to worry about vampires but will be prepared if it isn't. I just got a new pair of snake boots for this trip but I hope I don't need them.

My plan is to take my pack with food and water for the day and come back after dark. I hope something decides to come within range.

FlyGuy

WKR
I actually drew both the archery AND rifle hunt this year! Mid Nov and early dec. not sure yet it I can get away for both hunts but scrambling to make it work. (Drew WAY too many tags this year!)

Is it worth carrying 15x or a spotter on this hunt? I assume it’s very, very flat and limited range of view so not worth packing? But if there are large open flats, is it worth it?

Can you find fresh water to treat or is it all brackish? Or full of alligators???

You can’t cheat the mountain

jspradley

WKR
Laguna has a lot of open fields with scrubby brush sections on the borders, I wouldnt bring a spotter but 12x are a good choice if you have them. 15x and a way to support them wouldnt hurt if you dont have 12s, not sure how much success youd have sneaking up to archery range on any you spot in the open though. Nilgai are switched on, it's not that tough to get into rifle range, archery is a whole other story though

Last edited:
OP
robie

robie

WKR
I would go so far to say binos aren't necessary. If you see something you are shooting. Not a ton of opportunities. No spotter for sure. Binos are fine but if you see the nilgai they most likely see you unless you are waiting on the edge of a field for them.

There are fresh water ponds that would be good to sit at in the evening or early morning.

Tons of snakes out in the fields. From personal experience if they are sleeping they won't rattle and you can step right one them.

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted the Jan rifle hunt the last two years and scouted an additional trip. I turned back my archery tag last year. Way too many hunters with a deplorable success rate.

I’ve used a pair of 10x binos each trip and done just fine. Your bike, more specifically your tires, will play a big part in your success. First trip I had 7 flats. I now run slime and liners and didn’t have a single flat last trip.

Like most public land 70% of the hunters will be within 1/2 mile of the road. After a day or two on the bike seats only a few guys will be hunting more than 1 mile from the road. The first year we were able to get away from people. This year much of the area was under water so everyone was crammed into a small area near the roads making hunting much more difficult.

First trip we passed opportunities and only shot big bulls to get mounted. After eating the meat from those bulls we shot everything that gave us an opportunity this past year.

Pass on the scouting day. Everyone will burn up their legs riding all over on the scouting day then will be too worn out to finish the hunt. The nilgai will move throughout the day each day as they get pushed around so like elk they are where you find them and don’t expect them to do the same thing two days in a row once hunting begins.

I generally only bow hunt and know very little about rifles. I used a .270 for both trips, but will be bringing something significantly larger next time (most likely in the .338 range).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
We never had issues running out of drinking water. Put some panniers on your bike for your lunch and water and you should be good for the day. The panniers also help when packing out. Two guys with bikes w/panniers and packs can get one out in a single trip. They are about the size of an elk, but at sea level and on flat ground. That includes the hide and head that they require you to bring in for tick inspection. Add some heavy duty contractor bags to your kill kit for bringing in the hide and head. Anything the hide touches must be frozen solid for 24hrs prior to leaving the property.

Treat everything from your clothes to your boots and pack with permethrin. It was too cool for snakes on our trips, but the ticks are thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FlyGuy

WKR
Does everyone wear snake boots or snake gaiters/chaps out there? I hunt in a lot of places in TX but never wear them. If it’s recommended, then I’m looking for recommendations on light and comfortable.

jspradley

WKR
Does everyone wear snake boots or snake gaiters/chaps out there? I hunt in a lot of places in TX but never wear them. If it’s recommended, then I’m looking for recommendations on light and comfortable.

I didn't wear them the first time I was there, just wore my Meindls and Kuiu gaiters. They worked great slogging through the marshes. I worse snake boots the second time.

Didn't see any snakes either but lots of other folks have. It broke 90 degrees in December when we were there so it's dang good weather for snakes.

I picked up a pair of Cabelas synthetic and leather snake boots, they are pretty comfortable even with all the walking we did, they weren't waterproof worth a crap though. Lots of wading through marshes down there so that was a bit problematic.