South Texas Nilgai Hunt - Public Land

robie

WKR
I was drawn for a Deer/Nilgai hunt in Laguna Atascosa.

Really looking forward to some good Nilgai meat in the freezer. Anyone on here ever done this hunt? Not sure it would be worth it for most of you guys from other states as it is all the way south to the boarder. We only have a few options to hunt public land in Texas and the draw odds are sheep odds for most hunts. Fun to finally get selected for a hunt.

Going to be on my bicycle and looking at picking up a used BOB trailer. For those that have done bike hunting is the BOB the way to go?

gelton

WKR
Wow, didnt even know this was available. Looks like they are unlimited too. Exciting stuff, keep us posted on your success.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I think the unlimited part is a stretch.

I'm not sure how many of those beast I would want to haul 3+ miles.

I did a Nilgai hunt a few years back just north of there, towards Port Mansfield and it was awesome. I shot mine in some scrubby dunes 1/2 mile from the beach and I imagine that's what alot of the refuge looks like.They are tough and hardy animals. Much more so than similar sized American game like elk. I watched one take 4 rounds from my brother's 300 weatherby mag before going down. Use a good penetrating bullet like a Barnes TSX.

I don't have any insight as to the bike stuff.

FYI, I would not recommend Raymondville meat market if you are looking to have it processed.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I did a Nilgai hunt a few years back just north of there, towards Port Mansfield and it was awesome. I shot mine in some scrubby dunes 1/2 mile from the beach and I imagine that's what alot of the refuge looks like.They are tough and hardy animals. Much more so than similar sized American game like elk. I watched one take 4 rounds from my brother's 300 weatherby mag before going down. Use a good penetrating bullet like a Barnes TSX.

I don't have any insight as to the bike stuff.

FYI, I would not recommend Raymondville meat market if you are looking to have it processed.

I'm going to ask a buddy about borrowing his 300 win mag. If not I may look at a Tikka t3 hunter .338 LINK

Seems like a great price. I know you guys really like the Tikka. Any better deals out there?

Don't feel like you have to buy a new gun. I was just stressing the importance of a good bullet. One Barnes TSX 180gr out of my 30-06 dropped my nilgai no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also not saying you shouldn't go buy a .338, that sounds awesome. If your wife asks you can tell her a guy on the internet said you had to.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I'm also not saying you shouldn't go buy a .338, that sounds awesome. If your wife asks you can tell her a guy on the internet said you had to.

HAHAHA. I'm not sure that excuse will fly but I like it. I'm hoping I can borrow the 300 from my buddy.

Not sure what else I would shoot the 338 for other than these beast.

My current gun is a 7mm-08 and my dad has a 30-06 I can borrow.

After typing this buying a gun sounds like a waste, but for some reason we always want more.

I did the hunt three years ago and killed a good bull, all I took was a 257 Ackley and it did the job but I will say I was under gunned, I killed a big bull down in one of the Sawgrass salt flats, I was as tough getting that bull out you can not hardly walk through the big clumps you had to walk on top of them.

The toughest part of getting around is the mud flats if it is wet, bicycles and mud are not a good combination. If you want some information you can pm me.

I was drawn for a Deer/Nilgai hunt in Laguna Atascosa.

Really looking forward to some good Nilgai meat in the freezer. Anyone on here ever done this hunt? Not sure it would be worth it for most of you guys from other states as it is all the way south to the boarder. We only have a few options to hunt public land in Texas and the draw odds are sheep odds for most hunts. Fun to finally get selected for a hunt.

Going to be on my bicycle and looking at picking up a used BOB trailer. For those that have done bike hunting is the BOB the way to go?

Fun hunt!!!! Chiggers are bad this year with all the rain. FYI

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Somehow I missed the last couple of post on this.

My hunt will be in January. So still 2.5 months away.

Thanks guys I will shoot you a PM. I've printed a pig map at work and am looking at a couple zones that will be a bike ride or a fun walk.

wow...this thread surprises me a bit. I have killed (2) with a .243 I have killed Pierre David also with a .243. My buddies have killed several with .270

They are big animals but not anything a standard rifle can not handle with ease.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Many have said a standard rifle with a well placed shot no problem.

The issue is how tough they are and people make a bad shot. Then it's not like a whitetail and won't lay down and die if a little far back. Also very little chance at a pass through with most calibers.

PF_JM

FNG
I drew an archery tag for that hunt from 2-6 Dec. I'll try to get you a good scouting report. I'm going in pretty blind as well and with the amount of permits given out, I don't have high hopes. I tried calling the biologists but they never got back to me.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I drew an archery tag for that hunt from 2-6 Dec. I'll try to get you a good scouting report. I'm going in pretty blind as well and with the amount of permits given out, I don't have high hopes. I tried calling the biologists but they never got back to me.

Those archery hunts sound very difficult without some prior history. Good luck. I hope you tag one.