Source for legit bow reviews and tech discussion?

jmez

WKR
Actually they haven't Had engineering solved that the Full Throttle would shoot just like an Elite and everyone would have one. I owned a Black Knight II and an 82nd Airborne as well, so yes have shot them both.

Elite is popular because of the draw cycle and shootability of their bows. As you increase the speed you decrease both draw cycle comfort and shootability simple physics. You can't create something from nothing. An inch of brace height makes a big difference in draw cycle. Shoot an Insanity CPX and a CPXL. A little longer ATA and brace height make a huge difference. They don't feel anything alike.

Actually they haven't Had engineering solved that the Full Throttle would shoot just like an Elite and everyone would have one. I owned a Black Knight II and an 82nd Airborne as well, so yes have shot them both.

Elite is popular because of the draw cycle and shootability of their bows. As you increase the speed you decrease both draw cycle comfort and shootability simple physics. You can't create something from nothing. An inch of brace height makes a big difference in draw cycle. Shoot an Insanity CPX and a CPXL. A little longer ATA and brace height make a huge difference. They don't feel anything alike.

Have you shot the RPM 360? That bow blows the 82nd and 101 out of the water and is far faster. Advances in engineering.

I'll agree with you on the full throttle. That thing shoots like dog shit. Typical PSE though.

jmez

WKR
To the OP, this is why you have to shoot them. We all have different likes/dislikes about how the different bows shoot and feel.

I do agree with the PSE sentiment though.

fire652

WKR
Go out shoot all the bows you can. Write them down. Pick your top five. Wait a week. Go back and shoot those. Pick a top two. Then do a real comparison. Ask questions. And when you are ready to buy shoot one last time. All the bows now have there own "personality". You can shoot two of the same bow and have a different feel. That being said I like elite even though I shoot mathews. Higher end pse are great also. In not a fan of bowtech.

I am looking to get a new bow after being out of the bow game for about 9 years. Money is not a factor I just want the best bow I can get. All of the sights and discussions I read are written by people who have a financial interest or have some kind of personal identity tied to the brand of bow they own. Recently Aron Snyder said on Gritty Bowman podcast that he had a Bowtech that he was impressed with, but trying to research the tech of the different bows just leads to propaganda put out by the bow companies. Is there somewhere out there that can tell me the real performance difference between the brands, not so much the actual brands but the tech that is in their bows? I am getting really frustrated. Example the new Matthews No Cam has a great video that speaks about all this new revolutionary tech but really says nothing about the tech, then on a forum I read that it is 80's tech and there are Youtube videos where guys shoot the bow next to another bow and say it is better or worse but not go into any tech detail as to why. where can I go to get a real deal review of bows?

Everyone has good comments here. Give us a report back on which bows you end up shooting and what you go with and why. If you have your own press and do your own tinkering and tuning, then having a dealer nearby isn't as critical. If not, then try to stick to one of the brands that can be found at local shops so they can assist you along the way. Equally important in that scenario is a shop that actually has skilled people that know how to tune and set up the bows they sell.

Like everyone said, disregard all the hype of what's best or fastest and get what feels good and shoots good for you. I like to see the speed rating, but it's not high on my list. Honestly, I would guess that in reality most of us are hunting with setups that are shooting heavy arrows in the 280 fps range and trying to bring momentum to the target rather than speed for back country hunts. That can change with species.

Each of us have different likes in terms of grip, draw cycle, valley, let-off, axle to axle length, bow weight, etc.. Myself, I like longer axle to axle bows at my DL.

Good luck! It's a great time to be a bowhunter with so many quality brands available.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm certainly not an expert, but sure impressed with Xpedition. My local shop carried them and I was bored one night while my kid was taking lessons. I shot one and the rest is history. Mine is the 2015 Xcentric 7.

elkhunt

FNG
For me I went with the no cam. More it was the most forgiving bow I have shot. Now it is not a speed bow by any means but I can shoot it better then anything else. That is my main reason for it is more for hunting. When I am cold, tired, and no sleep chasing elk it will be more for giving with a mistake in forum. That is just my thoughts but like everyone said go shoot and let the bow pick you.

I personally switched to xpedition in 2013 and have yet to shoot a bow that would make me want to change. From the guys running the company to the bow itself. Top notch in my eyes.

As far as what bow, I agree with most guys here that you need to shoot all the boys you can. For me personally I wanted a hybrid cam system. I've had issues in the past with 2 track bows and now I prefer to deal with bows with yokes. If they come from the factory how they should your golden and can be tuned in about 10 minutes. If not you can spend the next 10 weeks fighting it and your dealer and the company on getting it squared away.

Jmez, draw is extremely subjective to the point of almost becoming useless. A lot goes into it: the persons build, the muscles that person has, the muscles that engage when they draw a bow, draw length.
I personally am a terrible person to listen to, I've yet to pickup a bow besides an 80# pse omen and have a gripe about the draw. Now that's not to say I like the draw or would hunt with it, and obviously I can decipher between bows as to which is an "easier draw" but too stiff is not really ever been an issue for me.The full throttle is a really really fun bow to shoot. I would never own one and I would never hunt with one, but I'd borrow a buddy's and fling some sticks any day.

In my eyes valley and back wall has become the most important thing in today's bow market. They are all fast enough, they are all quite enough, and all can be drawn back buy anyone who hunts the way we do. So how deep you want the valley, and how firm or soft you want the back wall is the sticking point, at least in my eyes. As long as brand loyalty is pushed aside of course.

Stephcha

FNG
I am looking to get a new bow after being out of the bow game for about 9 years. Money is not a factor I just want the best bow I can get. All of the sights and discussions I read are written by people who have a financial interest or have some kind of personal identity tied to the brand of bow they own. Recently Aron Snyder said on Gritty Bowman podcast that he had a Bowtech that he was impressed with, but trying to research the tech of the different bows just leads to propaganda put out by the bow companies. Is there somewhere out there that can tell me the real performance difference between the brands, not so much the actual brands but the tech that is in their bows? I am getting really frustrated. Example the new Matthews No Cam has a great video that speaks about all this new revolutionary tech but really says nothing about the tech, then on a forum I read that it is 80's tech and there are Youtube videos where guys shoot the bow next to another bow and say it is better or worse but not go into any tech detail as to why. where can I go to get a real deal review of bows?

IMHO you can read read read is informative and what is is best for me may very well be crap for you. You do not find the bow the bow finds you. Remove yourself from brand fandom and shoot bows that feel good to you. Anyone can try to explain a draw cycle to you but you have to feel it and like it. A archer needs to be confident in what they shoot.

All companies spend millions on marketing and some of the most savy are mathews and hoyt (hence the staple name in industry & good products) but lots of new companies like elite have experienced people who have a different view of what archery should be is. Just go to lots of shops, shoots lots of bows and take lots of notes on what you don't like.

remember you do not find the bow the bow finds you