Soooo I’m thinking about .243- few questions

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I just may have to eat my words :ROFLMAO:

I found a good deal online for a Kimber Hunter in .243 (own a .308 Hunter and love it); Kimber in their infinite wisdom has cut their Hunter offerings to just two- 6.5 and .308. Well after a little digging, it turns out the online retailer appears to be a scammer :(

Soooo... with that said I'm now looking at Tikka's :D

Just a quick update, no luck scouring the intraweb for a couple of weeks straight looking for a Kimber .243.

Sooo today ordered a Tikka T3X Lite in stainless, found a good price and there is a $75 rebate from Tikka.

It's 1:8 :)

Barrel is 22.4, going to lop 2-3" off of it and send it in to LRI to have it fluted- going to have them do straight flutes and try to match up the factory fluting on the SuperLite as close as possible.

Now I have to figure out the secret handshake :ROFLMAO:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just a quick update, no luck scouring the intraweb for a couple of weeks straight looking for a Kimber .243.

Sooo today ordered a Tikka T3X Lite in stainless, found a good price and there is a $75 rebate from Tikka.

Barrel is 22.4, going to lop 2-3" off of it and send it in to LRI to have it fluted- going to have them do straight flutes and try to match up the factory fluting on the SuperLite as close as possible.

I'd do the math on the cost/weight for the fluting (unless you just want the aesthetics) considering you're also chopping it and make sure you're wanting to spend the funds in that direction for those minimal ounces.

Lawnboi

WKR

Welcome, now don’t stop at a taste and go full on rokstock/swfa and suppressor!

Have LRI thread it for you…. Just in case.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Warden,
I have been looking for a Montana .243 for two years. All scammers or wack prices.

I was really hoping for a Hunter, they discontinued it awhile back. Was hoping with all the different dealers someone would still have one on the shelf, but evidently not.

I think the Tikka will be a fun project though :)

I was really hoping for a Hunter, they discontinued it awhile back. Was hoping with all the different dealers someone would still have one on the shelf, but evidently not.

I think the Tikka will be a fun project though :)
You can still look now that you got the Tikka to keep you grounded and focused.
We have a Tikka compact .243 for the kids. It’s at the smiths right now getting cut to 18” and threaded. It’s a fun gun but I still prefer the Kimber action. Still looking for a Montana or Fieldcraft or NULA .243

elkguide

WKR

Does your "manbun" fit under your hat?

idahodave

WKR
I just noticed that you ordered a 1:8 Tikka. My apologies, as the 87s were in reference to the 1:10 .243 I believed you already had!

With the Tikka, I’d change my vote to 105 VLDs if you can find some loaded. That’s what I’m rolling with in my 6 Creed and I’ve been REAL impressed with them on deer and elk.

Dave

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just noticed that you ordered a 1:8 Tikka. My apologies, as the 87s were in reference to the 1:10 .243 I believed you already had!

With the Tikka, I’d change my vote to 105 VLDs if you can find some loaded. That’s what I’m rolling with in my 6 Creed and I’ve been REAL impressed with them on deer and elk.

Dave

Ahh gotcha!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I drive over to my FFL to pick up my new Tikka. I look at the end of the factory box where the model/serial # is etc and no mention of 1:8. I pull the rifle out and no 8 stamped on the barrel as others who have handled said there was (someone even posted pics on another thread). I call the dealer I purchased it from, they are going to look into it, probably Tuesday at the earliest before I hear anything.

The gentleman I visited with was polite and good deal with (at least at this juncture), he doubled checked the website and it clearly said 1:8. My invoice also clearly states 1:8.

Soooo going to be a wee bit longer before I get one in my hands.

HrRGB1r.png