Something weird happened while adjusting the fast focus eyepiece of my scope

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
I have 11/10 vision with both eyes, which was confirmed in a recent visit for the renewal of the gun license. I am 32 years old. I never cared about adjusting the eyepiece for reticle focus until a couple years ago, when i started getting in shooting and hunting past 250 meters or so, where parallax starts playing a big role. This means i have very limited experience in regard to this subject. I adjusted the eyepiece on a riflescope (fixed patallax khales 2-10×50i) for the first time 1 year and 4 months ago, following the standard procedure (looking at a clear sky or at a wall briefly through the scope at various eyepiece rotations until finding the crispest reticle possible). I rechecked it yesterday after a nice roe hunt and, in order to get the reticle perfectly focused, i had to rotate the eyepiece a bit more than half a turn (not much but still i noticed the difference in reticle focus).

To me one year and 4 months seem too few to have to readjust the eyepiece due to changes in the eyesight, do you have any direct experience on this? My eyesight didn't degrade at all as far as i can tell (and also accordingly to a recent visit i still have 11/10).

Oh, the thing didn't move accidentally, i know it for sure cause i marked the eyepiece as a reference.

Thanks guys!

KenLee

WKR
Could be as simple as you consumed twice as much salt or sugar one day vs the other. Allergies can also make a big difference.

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
Could be as simple as you consumed twice as much salt or sugar one day vs the other. Allergies can also make a big difference.
That's interesting, could you expand?

KenLee

WKR
That's interesting, could you expand?
I've been borderline diabetic and borderline needing high blood pressure meds for 30 years. What I eat or drink affects my vision, especially sugar and salt.
Allergies can cause dry eyes or excessive watering. Either can affect vision.
Salt is also terrible for your hearing, balance and tinnitus.

WCB

WKR
I have 11/10 vision with both eyes, which was confirmed in a recent visit for the renewal of the gun license. I am 32 years old. I never cared about adjusting the eyepiece for reticle focus until a couple years ago, when i started getting in shooting and hunting past 250 meters or so, where parallax starts playing a big role. This means i have very limited experience in regard to this subject. I adjusted the eyepiece on a riflescope (fixed patallax khales 2-10×50i) for the first time 1 year and 4 months ago, following the standard procedure (looking at a clear sky or at a wall briefly through the scope at various eyepiece rotations until finding the crispest reticle possible). I rechecked it yesterday after a nice roe hunt and, in order to get the reticle perfectly focused, i had to rotate the eyepiece a bit more than half a turn (not much but still i noticed the difference in reticle focus).

To me one year and 4 months seem too few to have to readjust the eyepiece due to changes in the eyesight, do you have any direct experience on this? My eyesight didn't degrade at all as far as i can tell (and also accordingly to a recent visit i still have 11/10).

Oh, the thing didn't move accidentally, i know it for sure cause i marked the eyepiece as a reference.

Thanks guys!
I was told by my eye doctor that I had 20/20ish vision for a few years. When she first said it I asked what does "ish" mean. She said you pass a basic test at 20/20 but clarity isn't the same. I have and astigmatism so I passed the "read the line" test but when clarity was check there was room to improve.

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
I was told by my eye doctor that I had 20/20ish vision for a few years. When she first said it I asked what does "ish" mean. She said you pass a basic test at 20/20 but clarity isn't the same. I have and astigmatism so I passed the "read the line" test but when clarity was check there was room to improve.
Mh.. clarity seems to be the same as a few years ago and surely didn'tchange drastically in the last 1 year and 4 months, why should it since i am young and healthy.. apparently my eye is working in a different way to get there, that's weird anyway.

On another forum a man wrote about something similar happened to him. He wasn't using a scoped rifle since 2 years and he had to readjust the eyepiece focus.

Maybe i am just paying too much attention to details most people overview or just don't notice?

Thanks guys!

Similar to what @KenLee said, I've noticed something similar if I've had a bit more caffeine than usual, am a bit dehydrated, or have had a really short night of sleep - including getting up early for a hunt. A quick adjustment of the fine focus/diopter and I'm good to go. If you've got particularly good vision, and aren't getting behind that glass daily, it may stand out quite a bit.

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
Similar to what @KenLee said, I've noticed something similar if I've had a bit more caffeine than usual, am a bit dehydrated, or have had a really short night of sleep - including getting up early for a hunt. A quick adjustment of the fine focus/diopter and I'm good to go. If you've got particularly good vision, and aren't getting behind that glass daily, it may stand out quite a bit.
Interesting! It's the first time i hear this! Actually it has been a period of very short sleep and A LOT of work. But the roe i took was worth it :)

JGRaider

WKR
I'd spend about .00005 seconds worrying about it. Focus for a sharp reticle just like you did and go kill stuff.

Macintosh

WKR
Your eyes focus and movement is controlled by muscle. I dont know that to be “technically” true, but I do know It gets stronger and you can exercise it. It also gets tired depending on what youve been doing, time of day, etc. Some variation in your focus from day to day and month to month is normal. Give yourself 10 or 15 years, then it really starts getting fun.

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
Your eyes focus and movement is controlled by muscle. I dont know that to be “technically” true, but I do know It gets stronger and you can exercise it. It also gets tired depending on what youve been doing, time of day, etc. Some variation in your focus from day to day and month to month is normal. Give yourself 10 or 15 years, then it really starts getting fun.

It is technically true, i know about that mechanism, ii just never experienced something directly related to it before. I will check again the focus in other times of the next days. People say the eyepiece should ve set and forget, now apparently that's not exactly right