Solo Elk Hunt

john_tn

FNG
The plans for my Early Archery hunt have fallen apart with both partners backing out. I'm strongly considering going it alone this year and I'm just looking for a little advice or tips from people who have done it alone. I'm in great shape, but my ideal spot is exactly 4.5 miles from the road. The hunting spot is full of elk but is this too far to pack out solo without spoiling meat in early September? There is a creek I can cool meat in along the way.

If you're comfortable with going alone, go for it! You'll never really know what it's like until you do it. I may end up going solo as well, so I'm trying to mentally prepare for the challenge.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you drop one that far in it can be done alone but it will be a gut check if the weather is hot. You may not sleep for 24 hrs but the adrenaline should keep you going. Be prepared, stay hydrated, be careful butchering and packing and IF your very confident you can do it go for it. Would recommend smaller loads and more trips as you are alone. Good luck!

xziang

WKR
I'm in the same boat as you this year. I haven't done it and a senior member can chime in if I'm wrong but my plan when/if I drop one is to:
1. Get it cut up asap but also taking my time as not to screw something up. (IE cut myself).
2. Hang or try and cool the meat where it layes.
3. Shuttle the meat to a spot close to the main trail and then cool it in the creek/river there.
4. Then hike a load out to the vehicle and return with the framed pack to hike the rest out. I just want to get the meat as close to an established trail as possible so I can hike easily in the dark. I HATE bushwhacking in the dark.

Pending on where the animal drops and time of day will determine if I shuttle the meat right away or if I take 1 load back to the vehicle immediately and return with the frame pack. Either way I know it's going to be a PITA but will be worth it. Maybe I'm scared of the boogie man but if I'm hiking at night I really want to be on an established trail if at all possible.

Finch

WKR
Have you thought about hiring packers or at least having them on standby?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Good advice above. Just about all of my hunts are solo so I understand what your feeling.
The first time I had a bull down it was 75 degrees and i was 8 miles from truck. I never lost any meat.
Call around and find a horse packer. If you get one down within your comfort range go ahead and pack it out. If it's in too far or Its hot as hell call the packer.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I almost always hunt alone for a large part of every season. It can be done as long as you're up for the challenge. It's actually more rewarding doing it all yourself, and all the meat goes into my freezer instead of splitting it all up.:D

xziang

WKR
Have you thought about hiring packers or at least having them on standby?

Thanks for the reminder. I had contacted one on my previous two hunts to see what he would need from me if I needed his service. I'm in a new area now so will have to find out who is in that area now.

OP
J

john_tn

FNG
I've been trying to find a packing service but haven't had much luck. I'm going to ask around town when I get to lake city. I'm just not sure how reliable most of the packing services would be. What do they typically charge to pack an animal out?

Please be careful butchering your animal. Cautionary tale: a friend of a friend sank a knife into his thigh many miles into the backcountry and had to be medivac'd out. Luckily his brother was with him.

brewer427

WKR
The plans for my Early Archery hunt have fallen apart with both partners backing out. I'm strongly considering going it alone this year and I'm just looking for a little advice or tips from people who have done it alone. I'm in great shape, but my ideal spot is exactly 4.5 miles from the road. The hunting spot is full of elk but is this too far to pack out solo without spoiling meat in early September? There is a creek I can cool meat in along the way.
If you have a creek, you will have no problem. I'm heading back to an area that I have hunted a couple of times and its 4-6.5 miles in, depending on what basin Im in at the time, and have packed 2 rag horns out of there. It took me 2 days each time, but I wasn't worried cause I had the remaining meat in a creek the whole time, and I had a couple yetis waiting at my truck with Ice. Didn't lose meat either time.

As far as going solo, is it your first time? If it is I recommend renting a sat phone. The reason being is you not only have a way of getting ahold of emergency services if you need them, but having a chance to have a brief verbal conversation with a friend or loved one every day or two, at least for me, helps me stay focused on hunting the whole duration. If I don't hear another humans voice after 5 days It starts to bother me. That's just me, but it allows me to check in with home and make sure everythings ok. I guess this also depends on how long your planning on going. I'm doing two 8 day trips, back to back, so I like to have one with me.

Just my 2cents

If you drop one that far in it can be done alone but it will be a gut check if the weather is hot. You may not sleep for 24 hrs but the adrenaline should keep you going. Be prepared, stay hydrated, be careful butchering and packing and IF your very confident you can do it go for it. Would recommend smaller loads and more trips as you are alone. Good luck!

I do this every year. Last year twice!

Get the meat off the ground and in the shade by the creek where it's cool. Take a little camp and some meat and take off. Don't kill yourself with a super heavy load, because you are going to do multiple trips. Just keep moving, eating and drinking till ur done. Have some coolers at your truck to throw the meat in as you bring it out.

Twice last year, I shot elk 4-5 miles back at 8ish and finished up at the truck the next morning for one and around 3pm for the other. Don't forget to bring an extra set of batteries for your headlamps. Also, carry an extra one so you can easily switch them out.

Oh, trekking poles are a must for those late night ventures down the mountain.

OP
J

john_tn

FNG
Is it better to make multiple trips or relay a couple different packs and get it done in one trip?

I take it all the way to the truck. Gives me a sense of accomplishment! Nothing like going back on the last trip knowing you just have the antlers and the rest of camp to get!!

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
You should go but I STRONGLY suggest the following:

1) Pay close attention and take heed of the advice already given here. Smart folks with great experience...
2) If you don't have an emergency beacon, drop the cash on a spot or something. I've been in a shitty situation and experienced first hand a loved one having to use it 8 miles in. It could be the difference between living and dying.
3) Err on the side of caution. It's fine to go it alone, just slow down your decision making. Make calculated decisions and don't accept more risk than necessary.
4) Don't fuggin cut yourself cleaning an animal.

WyoElk

WKR
The hardest part is finding elk, sounds like you have that covered. If you are in the elk, your spirits will be high which will make it much easier to be there. Be safe with your decisions and have fun!

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
I go alone most years, and I'm going alone again this year. Sometimes it can take a while to get the animal out. Last year it took me nearly 5 days to get my elk out because I had a really nasty gorge to negotiate and a 6 mile hike one way after that. But I had the meat in the creek during the day and I would hang it out at night. I kept it on ice at the truck. Everything turned out fine. I used to use a SPOT, and this year I am using the InReach. But many years I have gone it alone with neither. Like many have said, you just have to be conservative. Don't take big, or even moderate, risks.
The biggest challenge is the mental game. You have to force yourself to always stay positive. It is easy to stay positive when you are with a friend, no matter how tough it gets. But when you are alone there is nothing to gauge your mental attitude against. So, it becomes very easy to fall into a bad attitude. I have to always be keeping tabs on my attitude. It may be worth bringing along an mp3 player, book, or something to give you a positive influence. A Sat phone to talk with loved ones is a great idea. I really like the InReach because it has two way texting capability.
But the biggest thing is you just have to go for it! You will find much satisfaction in taking an elk and getting it out of the mountains alone. If you do harvest an elk and get it out alone, I would suggest you also process the animal yourself. If you do this I promise you will have a rare sense of accomplishment that only those who have done the same will understand. If you allow yourself to have this experience you will forever feel at home in the mountains.

OP
J

john_tn

FNG
I've been looking at the SPOT, haven't checked out the inReach. How Reliable is SPOT?