Solid Colors

Who wears solid colors or non-camo to hunt in? Bow hunting/rifle hunting...either way.

Last year i went non camo for the fall seasons and did not notice a difference. Camo clothing marketing strategies certainly make a lot of money for new patterns.

I was wearing blue jeans and a wool plaid shirt for my fist elk! I tried to find a picture of it to post without luck...

dotman

WKR
This coming year will be my first full season of solids, camo is for human eyes only and with the expense of these clothes only way I can justify it is to make it dual purpose. I don't like to wear camo everywhere. I had no issues getting close to turkies in it. Last year I had all solids except my pants and it worked great

When I hike I just prefer to have drab colors and I will be running on top all first light in dry earth and black, my pants will be kuiu major brown. Pack is the kifaru ku and it only comes in solid :) i'll look close to a warden, heck that might fool the elk alone.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I think for bow hunting its a lot more crucial than rifle hunting. But since I primarily rifle hunt nearly all my clothing is solid colors, generally cheaper and not limited to just "hunting" orientated clothing companies too.

Here is what I look like most the time in the field. Aside from my puffy jacket I really down own any camo hunting clothing.
SANY0550-1.jpg

IMG_5715.jpg

IMGP0521.jpg

SANY0892.jpg

OP
sanchomaes
I would say the natural colors seemed to work for me. I have a few pairs of pants in like a slate grey and khaki(much like dry earth).

7mag.

WKR
I have no problem wearing solid colors while hunting. The only thing I will not wear is denim. I've read way too much about how well wild game can see denim. Plus it is cotton.

hodgeman

WKR
I have very little camo...I hunt almost exclusively in solids. I think if you watch your extraneous movements and the wind you'll be fine. Maybe for bowhunting or deer hunting from a tree stand ....but spot and stalk mountain hunting not so much.

Eagle

WKR
Everything I buy anymore is solids, I've got an ASAT leafy suit if I need camo and it's light enough to take with me if I feel i'll need it for a stalk. Otherwise, solids fit the bill and are dual purpose for both backpacking and hunting. Tough to beat that, and it helps justify the cost with the little lady at home.

I am really digging the Kuiu major brown (attack pants and vest), spindrift in coffee bean and my Kifaru duplex frame and cargo panel is in foliage. Good multipurpose use between hunting and backpacking.

mtmiller

WKR
For how I hunt, camo is not a major consideration. That being said, if it's the same price I will go with what a manufacturer feels is the best camo to big game eyes.:p

Sell the same product in "solid" with a discount....I'm in.

I purchase the product based on utility and not flavor.

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
I probably started out wearing camo because I thought I was supposed to for bow hunting. Then I read "Bows on the Little Delta" about Fred Bear, Glenn St.Charles and their buddies. They seemed to be partial to Filson plaid wool, and from what we all know the game didn't seem to notice. Now I still wear camo but I am more concerned about quiet, comfortable fabric and wind direction.

swat8888

WKR
Anybody know of any solid mountain hunting pants that come in earth tones...w/ the following exceptions? Kuiu attack pants do not fit me right, and I know Sitka has the smoke 90% pants. Aside from those two what have you guys found out there in solid colors that you like?

Anybody know of any solid mountain hunting pants that come in earth tones...w/ the following exceptions? Kuiu attack pants do not fit me right, and I know Sitka has the smoke 90% pants. Aside from those two what have you guys found out there in solid colors that you like?

I'm currently using a set for REI light softshell pants. The are a dark grey color, stretch fabric, and very fast drying. Paid about $70 as I recall. Probably have 30+ field days on this last year with no significant wear. My dad has been using a set of Ibex merino pants he's been real happy with and he spends more time crashing through the brush in the field than most guides.

Yk

swat8888

WKR
Just found a pair of Marmot Scree pants on sale at REI...greenish color. Picked a pair up, might as well try em out while they are on sale. Will let you know how I like them.

swat8888

WKR
Got my Marmot Scree pants the other day...lucky me that had been discounted another $20 since I had ordered...called REI and got refunded the difference. Anyhow the pants are pretty sweet, I like them more than the Kuiu attack pants actually. A little lighter-weight material...probably less durable, although it is a little noisy. Pockets are fleece lined, although not very deep. The one improvement I would like to see is two cargo pockets, there is only one that is decent sized...then again I love to stuff all kinds of crap in my pockets. The ankle zip is not wide enough to remove the pants while wearing boots....not an issue for me, but may be for others. These will probably become my go to rifle hunting pants. They still have a couple left in 36 and 38 waist for $55....MSRP is $110.

Also, beware the inseam is a little long. I have a 32" inseam and the 34 waist regular pants are a little long... when walking around in socks.

I'll likely pick up a pair of the Marmot Entrada pants in the future as those look to address the few issues I have with the Scree....just to expensive right now.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
Then I read "Bows on the Little Delta" about Fred Bear, Glenn St.Charles and their buddies. They seemed to be partial to Filson plaid wool, and from what we all know the game didn't seem to notice.

Great book!

I mainly wear solids and rifle hunt but have not noticed a difference when I have been up close to animals. They either make me far off or never make me. I do wear some camo but that is only because the Army issues it to me and it is good quality gear that I can not see replacing if I am the one paying. :)