Solid color insulated jacket

Skybuster

FNG
Hi,

Looking for a casual versatile insulated jacket.
Not for hunting. But for all around camping, walking, coffee runs .

So far the KUIU Kenia Hooded is at the top of my list features and weight.

Lots of pockets, drop pockets, solid colors,pit zips, 15.5oz
Downs Fabrics Pills

The other I considered

Kings XKG Transition Flex - 21.8oz I know this one would be double the warm average 115 GSM insulation vs 75 g/m2 for Kenai if the values are the same?

Stone Glacier Cirque - 20.8oz much warmer 133 g/m all around? Hand pocket too high for comfort usage?

First Lite Uncompahgre 2.0 - 21oz warmer than Kenai look great. I wonder if I would overheat or if the 37.5 tech would be like having pit zips

For those with the Kenai what you say is the wind resistant speed that you started feeling the cold, and at what temps.

Mostly looking to only use a shirt.
I already have a 800+ Down jacket.
So looking for and in between.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a solid color Kenai for exactly what you’re describing. But i do use it for scouting and such too so it gets dual use.

*zap*

WKR
For one jacket I would take the uncomphagre over the kenai. I wear one of mine alot for around town if it is not frigid.
Both would give you more options and definitely a hood.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
I use a solid color Kenai for exactly what you’re describing. But i do use it for scouting and such too so it gets dual use.
Yes that one seem to be one of the most popular here. Plus all the other features is what make it hard for me to choose another one the big Con is the price.
Had you use it around 20mph winds and only a shirt how did it do? If yes what was the temp.

For one jacket I would take the uncomphagre over the kenai. I wear one of mine alot for around town if it is not frigid.
Both would give you more options and definitely a hood.
What temp range do you usually use it, or what would be the higher end of the temp you recommend for this one.

Arcteryx Atom is my go-to.
For some reason the Kenai look like a better value. With all the features.

For a simple jacket I was actually considering the Outdoos Vitals Vario at around 10oz but only have 2 pockets.
Then I was like I might as well get the Kenai and take the extra 5.5oz.
As the others on the list are 20oz +.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I wear my cirque all the time. I'm one full winter in it and its been great, even when its very cold. I walk my dog basically everyday and most of the time I just wear a normal shirt under it. I'll add a layer if it gets close to zero and I'm out more than a few minutes but thats it. It does well in the wind too. I don't find the pockets too high to be comfortable but they're definitely higher than most jackets which I appreciated with a pack on

wnelson14

WKR
Been really impressed with Kuhl jackets lately, or beyond clothing (USA made line)

A bit of a different direction but I am a fan of the Sitka traverse hoody. I am up to three of them. Have a camo one that I use for hunting and two now that are around town (First one was showing wear after 3 years). Warm. Fairly weather proof. more breathable than a soft shell.

Hoodie

WKR
If you want durability in synthetics make sure to go with continuous filament insulation (Kenai has this type) over short staple. Most types of Primaloft are short staple and they lose loft pretty quickly.

Last edited:
OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Been really impressed with Kuhl jackets lately, or beyond clothing (USA made line)
I just saw the Kuhl Activator Hoody looks super nice I dint see the weight.
Similar style to the Vario but with more pockets.

Also unrelated to your recommendation I found the OTTE LV Insulated Hooded 26oz 100g primaloft gold. Looks good but I’m looking for a jacket around 15oz.

[SIZE=4]*zap*[/SIZE]
30'-50's depending on wind and other layers. The uncomphagre keeps me comfortable in conditions where the Kenai would suck. Jno
O this are definitely warmer than what I expected I’m not looking for those cold temps.
I have the down jacket for that.

In that case I think I would end up ordering the Kenai and see how it works

If you want durability in synthetics make sure to go with continuous filament insulation (Kenai has this type). over short staple. Most types of Primaloft are short staple and they lose loft pretty quickly.
That is great to know, was not aware of that.
I’m leaning towards the Kenai

Would place the order soon.

Thanks!

wnelson14

WKR
I just saw the Kuhl Activator Hoody looks super nice I dint see the weight.
Similar style to the Vario but with more pockets.

Also unrelated to your recommendation I found the OTTE LV Insulated Hooded 26oz 100g primaloft gold. Looks good but I’m looking for a jacket around 15oz.

[SIZE=4]*zap*[/SIZE]

O this are definitely warmer than what I expected I’m not looking for those cold temps.
I have the down jacket for that.

In that case I think I would end up ordering the Kenai and see how it works

That is great to know, was not aware of that.
I’m leaning towards the Kenai

Would place the order soon.

Thanks!
Ya no weights on Kuhl website not sure why, the activator looks awesome, first thing I thought of was the Kenai when I saw it on the site. I could never make the Kenai work in a Large compared to other Kuiu items in large, and medium was to small

bmart2622

WKR
Not to derail the thread but quick question, it looks like the Kenai.is built to wear as an outer layer but anyone have any insight into wearing it as a mid layer on really cold days?

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Ya no weights on Kuhl website not sure why, the activator looks awesome, first thing I thought of was the Kenai when I saw it on the site. I could never make the Kenai work in a Large compared to other Kuiu items in large, and medium was to small

I found this two reviews

It seem they had it weighting at 27oz.
But now they changed to 17oz but on the question someone asked if it really weight 27oz the Editor stated: Hi Dan. The approximate weight is 17 ounces, however that varies depending on the fit size of the jacket and whether you get the Hoody version or the standard Aktivator jacket.

Here they review the Non Hooded version size XL 17.3oz

So maybe the size L Hooded version is around 18oz

Now I’m second guessing if I should get this one.

But I ended up ordering the Kenai cause is confirmed under 16oz and have the continuous filament insulation.

I’m not sure if the Kuhl is continuous or not.
But definitely would be on my list for a future purchase. It say to be windproof. I don’t know how thick is the underarm area.

Who know I might order it and see which one I keep.

wnelson14

WKR
I found this two reviews

It seem they had it weighting at 27oz.
But now they changed to 17oz but on the question someone asked if it really weight 27oz the Editor stated: Hi Dan. The approximate weight is 17 ounces, however that varies depending on the fit size of the jacket and whether you get the Hoody version or the standard Aktivator jacket.

Here they review the Non Hooded version size XL 17.3oz

So maybe the size L Hooded version is around 18oz

Now I’m second guessing if I should get this one.

But I ended up ordering the Kenai cause is confirmed under 16oz and have the continuous filament insulation.

I’m not sure if the Kuhl is continuous or not.
But definitely would be on my list for a future purchase. It say to be windproof. I don’t know how thick is the underarm area.

Who know I might order it and see which one I keep.

Haha that’s rokslide for you, I ordered one worst case is I return it, but it does seem very Sitka ambient/ cirque lite/ Kenai ish to me. Hopefully it’s quiet enough for archery.

Hoodie

WKR
Not to derail the thread but quick question, it looks like the Kenai.is built to wear as an outer layer but anyone have any insight into wearing it as a mid layer on really cold days?

I wear it as a mid-layer for still-hunting in the 30s. When I stop to glass I throw a down jacket over it. The Kenai is active insulation. It's meant for wearing on the move, hence the pit zips. Not enough insulation to be a stand alone puffy IMO.

It took the place of a mid-weight fleece in my pack.

Cyril

FNG
Ordered a Kenai for this purpose but just didn’t like the way it looked/fit, did a little research and landed between Arc’teryx Atom LT and Rab Xenair Alpine. After trying all on, landed on the Rab, best fit for me and lightest by a couple ounces. Also cheapest of the bunch. Only downside to Kenai is no pit zips.

Last edited:

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
Ordered a Kenai for this purpose but just didn’t like the way it looked/fit, did a little research and landed between Arc’teryx Atom LT and Rab Xenair Alpine. After trying all on, landed on the Rab, best fit for me and lightest by a couple ounces. Also cheapest of the bunch. Only downside to Kenai is no pit zips.

According to Kuiu the Kenai has pit zips.