Solar chargers?

I have a contour HD headcam I'd like to keep charged when I'm in the back country for 10 days. Anybody using a solar charging device or a something like it to keep their electronics charged?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Another option is the New Trent charger. I have used these and found them much more "backpacker friendly" than solar chargers.

I think mine is the 9000 series and will charge my smart phone 5 times before the battery pack needs re-charging.

The model I have weighs 9oz's and is worth the weight on extended trips.

Gman

WKR
I use a "gum" battery charger. Gives me 3 full charges on my iPhone. I do a power on only when needed method and that daily lasts me 10 days. Weight is 5 oz. I played around with a Solio last year but ended up returning it. I want to like it so I may try agin this year.

I have been playing with idea of getting some sort of solar charger before next season. Any thoughts on charging video cameras? Sony FX-1000 batteries to be exact. I don't think Aron's extra battery pack is going to do much good on a 10 day Bob Marshall hunt. Lots of opportunities to have the camera on in there.

I just picked up a goal zero from costco. It's special only to costco. It's has the solar panel, battery charge, 4AAA, 4AA and the light for $100. not bad. Can't wait to try it out.

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I had gotten the SolarFocus SolarDuo for Christmas after looking at them for a while and looking at weight, compatibility with multi batteries and reviews. So far it has been great but I'm just using it sporadically to figure it out so I'm ready in Aug. I believe Santa paid $80ish for it. Compared to the other heavier stuff this looked the way to go. It will charge AA batteries which are used in my headlight, 1 flashlight, gps plus the battery pack charges to AA so they are usable as well. There is an adapter in there that will charge the flat still camera batteries. In short, this 1 item will charge everything I will take on mt that has batteries. (not planned, it just worked out that way)
http://v1.solarmio.com/en/cata_solarduo.aspx?param_01=1
http://www.amazon.com/SolarDuo-Char...IC0K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330957580&sr=8-1

6x6

FNG
Unfortunately, like many, I have gone through the pain and $ of the whole solar charger saga. I have done the whole Solio, Brunton, Goal Zero, and others that escape me with frustrating results. I settled this year on a suntactics solar charger. It's about 8 oz., it is contained in a small, packable housing, and it puts out 5 volts/watts (whatever the term is). It is a direct charger so no battery packs to charge, and it's a direct link with a USB charger cable that most electronics have these days. It is the best I have experienced so far. For the electronics I use in the backcountry, the 5 volts/watts is more than enough to charge, my Iphone for example, in just under two hours with only 2% power left. It takes my AC outlet about an hour and a half. It also acts as instant power in sun light. If you plug it in, you will be able to use it. I am not affiliated with this company what so ever, I just wanted to let you all know what my experience has been.

Got a goal0 for christmas havent had a chance to use it.
How do they work?
I like that my video camera with the USB charger built into it will plug directly into it. No need for extra cords.

OP
ohhiitznik
I'll be carrying a battery pack instead of the solar charger this year. I don't want to have to depend on weather for my battery supply.

B

bearguide

power film / green energy solutions. but we use it to charge camcorder batteries. it may be over kill for most stuff

luke moffat

Super Moderator
We take a fair bit of pics and video on our hunts, but only take a spare battery for each on week long or more hunts and never come close to running out of juice for the camera. An extra battery or two are generally pretty cheap and MUCH lighter.

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I had gotten the SolarFocus SolarDuo for Christmas after looking at them for a while and looking at weight, compatibility with multi batteries and reviews. So far it has been great but I'm just using it sporadically to figure it out so I'm ready in Aug. I believe Santa paid $80ish for it. Compared to the other heavier stuff this looked the way to go. It will charge AA batteries which are used in my headlight, 1 flashlight, gps plus the battery pack charges to AA so they are usable as well. There is an adapter in there that will charge the flat still camera batteries. In short, this 1 item will charge everything I will take on mt that has batteries. (not planned, it just worked out that way)
http://v1.solarmio.com/en/cata_solarduo.aspx?param_01=1
http://www.amazon.com/SolarDuo-Char...IC0K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330957580&sr=8-1
After using this around the house to get a feel for what it would do, I have not been impressed. At first it was great but now it doesn't seem as effective.

At this point I WOULD NOT recommend it to anyone.

Doj4Whlr

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Guide 10 Plus Mobile kit from Goal Zero that I bought in January of this year. I returned the first unit because when it indicated that the power pack was fully charged, it wouldn't make a dent in charging my Android, not 5%. I'm still testing the second unit but so far I'm getting mixed results with regards to how much it will charge my phone from a fully charged power pack. Bottom line- At this time, I wouldn't buy this model again. It's going to have to further prove its value if I'm going to carry it.

6x6

FNG
Just to add to my previous post on the Suntactics charger. I recently bought a new video camera, and the new version of the Steripen Freedom water purifier, which is now a lithium ion battery. This charger is plenty strong enough to charge. No problems at at all. I really like not having to be concerned with battery packs. It's durable, and relatively light too. No complaints yet!

slim9300

WKR
Another option is the New Trent charger. I have used these and found them much more "backpacker friendly" than solar chargers.

I think mine is the 9000 series and will charge my smart phone 5 times before the battery pack needs re-charging.

The model I have weighs 9oz's and is worth the weight on extended trips.

I have this same thing. It works great and is compact.