Sock options hollow socks or sock liner

KClark91

FNG
I currently use darn tough socks. I keep getting hot spots on my heal as soon as my feet start to sweat. I’ve tried different boots, lacing differently, and different sock thicknesses. I was told to try a sock liner or even alpaca socks to help mitigate moisture. Has anyone tried hollow socks or can recommend a sock liner that has helped them?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've used polypropylene liner socks for decades now, under my merino boot socks. I never have any foot/boot issues. I had to google hollow socks. It says they are extra warm......I wouldn't want that for early season.

Palouse

FNG
I’ve been using the injini merino liner toe socks because the only areas I got blisters were in between my toes from them rubbing. I just got back from a spring bear hunt where I was dunked in the river on my way in, still hiked a decent amount after and never encountered any blisters.

jchamwv

FNG
I have worn Smartwool and Darn Tough for years now. the amount of wool in the sock varies depending on the model of the sock. I just purchased a couple pair of Hollow socks during their sale and I am very suprised at how much cooler my feet feel and how much softer the sock feels. I wear wool socks year round for work(steel toe boots) and play(LOWA Tibets and Soloman running shoes) but the Hollow socks feel better. I can't speak to the durability yet.

I currently use darn tough socks. I keep getting hot spots on my heal as soon as my feet start to sweat. I’ve tried different boots, lacing differently, and different sock thicknesses. I was told to try a sock liner or even alpaca socks to help mitigate moisture. Has anyone tried hollow socks or can recommend a sock liner that has helped them?
I just bought 8 pair of Hollow socks, and they are all going back. I have been using Altera Alpaca socks for couple years and they still look new (also have lifetime warranty). The hollow socks start "fuzzing out" after 1 wear and I don't see them lasting. The fit was also weird. Both the crew and the boot came up to my knees (I'm 5'9" - 11.5 shoe, ordered L) and the boot socks were just way to loose around the foot. There beanie is awesome though.

OP
K

KClark91

FNG
Which hollow socks did you get? I heard the “boot” hollow socks are about as thick as the darn tough mid weight. This will be for a late October hunt so I’m okay with a little thicker sock.

OP
K

KClark91

FNG
I've used polypropylene liner socks for decades now, under my merino boot socks. I never have any foot/boot issues. I had to google hollow socks. It says they are extra warm......I wouldn't want that for early season.
Yea I’m looking at the smart wool poly liners to add to my mid weight darn tough hikers but also saw the alpaca socks are said to shed moisture and would only need to wear one sock. It’s for a late October/nov hunt so warmth would actually be ok.

Just finished a week long spring bear backpack hunt using the injini toe sock liners with hollow crew socks. Had no issues whatsoever even with wet feet. The hollow crews were definitely lighter than my darn tough mids but seemed to keep my feet just as warm.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using the injini merino liner toe socks because the only areas I got blisters were in between my toes from them rubbing. I just got back from a spring bear hunt where I was dunked in the river on my way in, still hiked a decent amount after and never encountered any blisters.
I made the switch to these Injinji merino toe sock liners a year or two ago from regular liner socks. They work way better for my foot and I have been getting zero hotspots. I also wear them as my only sock while running in the summer. Highly recommend.

OP
K

KClark91

FNG
I made the switch to these Injinji merino toe sock liners a year or two ago from regular liner socks. They work way better for my foot and I have been getting zero hotspots. I also wear them as my only sock while running in the summer. Highly recommend.
How do you like those toe socks? I’ve never worn toe socks before and they just seem weird/uncomfortable to me?

croben

Lil-Rokslider
How do you like those toe socks? I’ve never worn toe socks before and they just seem weird/uncomfortable to me?
They were weird when I first put them on, but didn’t even notice them after I started hiking in them. I like them better as they’re more form fitting compared to regular socks/liners. I don’t get hotspots when I wear them.

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
I started wearing toe socks last summer to combat corns on my toes. They are all I wear now. Mostly injinji with a couple of cheap cotton ones from Amazon. The pinky toe is always a little long but I never notice it in the shoe. I recommend them to everyone

Kyguy

FNG
I have a couple pairs of Hollow boot socks. They're very soft, but they started to fuzz out after a couple of uses. They're also very.... stretchy is the word I'll use but that's not entirely accurate. Not sure how to describe it. Maybe that they don't seem to hold their shape after a day of wearing them, when I take them off, compared to the wool socks I've used. They also seem to ride down more than the wool socks, I continually have to pull them up.

gtriple

WKR
I'll swear by my XOskin merino toe socks. Never had any blisters or hot spots since switching. I can get a big coupon code if you PM me.

gtriple

WKR
I just started wearing them last year and I'll never go back. Once you wear them for a few days, it'll seem abnormal not to have toe socks.

twall13

WKR
I don't typically wear liner socks but do have several pairs of Injinji socks I've used over the years in other applications, mostly for running. Although I'm a big fan of merino next to skin, I didn't care for the Injinji merino and much prefer their synthetic socks. Their merino didn't fit as well and wore out quickly for me. It's more of a pain to get the toe socks on, but once on and in your shoe/boot, you forget about them and they work really well to prevent hotspots and blisters.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk