SoCal Rut?

Catfish65

FNG
Don't know how many socal hunters are here but does anyone know if the rut is in/around late November? Daughter pulled J11 tag and is week of Thanksgiving. Just curious Talked to a Forestry guy and he didn't know but said wait till scout till after general season. Says place completely changes

I don't have any experience hunting the rut, but I plan on putting in for a late hunt on the central coast next year. I would think I would see rut or pre-rut activity, but since I have no experience rattling or calling Im likely to hunt the way I normally do & see if I can learn something while Im at it. A late season junior hunt makes me think it is a rut hunt to make hunting easier for the young ones. I wont be hunting this year due to a wrecked knee, so Ill do a little research tomorrow & see what I can find out for you since Im laid up & cant walk anyways.

OP
Catfish65

Catfish65

FNG
that was going to be my next question. Mule deer act like white tails in rut? can you rattle them or are they just more distracted? I looked at some info and opinions very by area as expected.

bbc26

Lil-Rokslider
I'm about an hour from that hunt and we usually see it start up the week before Thanksgiving. To me though it seems the weather plays more into it than any specific date. If it's cold enough, they stay active and that seems to kick it off. That hunt runs the 19th through the 27th. At the least I would expect you to see the beginning or tail end of it, if not right in the middle of it.

Last edited:
Well I havnt been able to find out much. I called the fish & wildlife office for that area about 2 months ago to see if I could get any tips from a warden or talk to a wildlife biologist. They acted like they didn't know what a biologist was & the ranger said he couldn't give out any info because if I was unsuccessful I might blame them. I have a tag for the A16 hunt & that's in the same district as your daughters hunt. I went online & found an old F&G website explaining why there is no hunt in the rut in this state. If I remember correctly that site is less than 10 years old. I have found other hunters on line that believe the rut in that area usually begins in October & depending on conditions a second rut in November. I don't know how much to believe hunters on the internet that I don't know, but the consensus seems to be that there are many different ruts in different areas all beginning @ different times. It seems different districts have different policies. I have a biologists number for my area(the d8 zone) who has been very helpful to me. I will call him next week to see what he has to say.

OP
Catfish65

Catfish65

FNG
Well I havnt been able to find out much. I called the fish & wildlife office for that area about 2 months ago to see if I could get any tips from a warden or talk to a wildlife biologist. They acted like they didn't know what a biologist was & the ranger said he couldn't give out any info because if I was unsuccessful I might blame them. I have a tag for the A16 hunt & that's in the same district as your daughters hunt. I went online & found an old F&G website explaining why there is no hunt in the rut in this state. If I remember correctly that site is less than 10 years old. I have found other hunters on line that believe the rut in that area usually begins in October & depending on conditions a second rut in November. I don't know how much to believe hunters on the internet that I don't know, but the consensus seems to be that there are many different ruts in different areas all beginning @ different times. It seems different districts have different policies. I have a biologists number for my area(the d8 zone) who has been very helpful to me. I will call him next week to see what he has to say.

Thanks for the time and help. Ive read and watched shows where they say call your local state biologist and ask them questions. HaHa.not in SoCal. I tried calling and got the run around. Only guy to try to help me was a Ranger in the field. Haven't seen a Warden in awhile. Now my biggest concern is they don't start closing areas due to fire concerns. One again thanks for the time and help

Thanks for the time and help. Ive read and watched shows where they say call your local state biologist and ask them questions. HaHa.not in SoCal. I tried calling and got the run around. Only guy to try to help me was a Ranger in the field. Haven't seen a Warden in awhile. Now my biggest concern is they don't start closing areas due to fire concerns. One again thanks for the time and help
It just amazes me that the F&W people in that district can SUCK so bad & all the wardens & biologists in my area are more than happy to help. I got a ranger in this area who wants to help so bad, I know if I needle him just a little bit more, he is gonna tell me his hot spot.

OP
Catfish65

Catfish65

FNG
Good luck getting that spot info. I talked with a female warden at a local lake. She told me she helps out up there but not enough for info. I have my a/o tag plus general so i hope i see a warden at some time up there. I know they are spread pretty thin. Im calling back this week and hope i get another person who can help. I bet the districts get better as you go north. Its like I'm bugging them when i call.

OP
Catfish65

Catfish65

FNG
D-11 rut is usually peaking around Halloween......

So that would be during General season. I usually go at the end of the season due to all the traffic during first two weeks. I always see does but no bucks.when i do see them they are solo. guess i will watch them a lot closer this year. Thanks for info

DEW0341

WKR
for my g10 and a22 areas I hunt, rut seems to kick off between last week of October, first week of November. depending on the weather. good to see some so cal guys on here I didn't know any existed here haha