SoCal New Guy-NW Native

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Everyone-

I'm originally from the state of Washington and just recently finished an 8 year chunk in Oregon. My industry forced me to move south to southern California and I'm looking to take advantage of my location and start backpacking into the states east of here.

Looking forward to talking with you all.

Last edited:
OP
M

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the great welcome... I've wanted to back pack hunt for Mule Deer since I was a kid, so I thought this was the best first step. I've shot a few in a couple states but it's all been long Day-hunts.

Really looking forward to any advice anyone has.

Thanks

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I moved to San Diego 12 years ago from Texas. I was not that impressed with the hunting compared to TX and other western states I've hunted in, but if you enjoy backpacking and hiking there are lots of places in CA to take advantage of it. If you are looking to get away from the crowds visit the desert mountains in the winter, in the summer go to the Sierras and northern CA.

I hope you enjoy your new home.

tanner68

FNG
RPM above covered it. Although I visit the desert year round. The High Sierras are incredible. Lots to do here. But the hunting kinda blows. Quail and chukar are the best things we have going in SoCal, but that is very dependent on rainfall. It has been terrible the last four years, with coveys holding out only in the most optimal spots. And areas that are normally populated not holding any birds. I have not bird hunted the last two years, since I want to leave seed stock. Looking forward to bagging some birds this year.

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
Hey man,
Where in Socal are you? I just moved down to San Diego from Seattle. If we're close man, let's go scout or something.. I've found a few deer around on huntable public land.