Worst New Guy from SoCal

Bruce, you really shouldn't be posting pictures of your wife on this site, as it is a family site. I get it, that's exactly what you have in mind, a family, but buddy, keep it private, trust me!
giphy.gif

OP
W
Thank you all for the welcome!

I live in Victorville and hunt mostly D14 and A31. My son drew a D14 tag (I cannot believe D14 has become a freaking draw tag since I started hunting) and I will be hunting on an AO tag and A31 tag. For now I will be focusing on D14 since my priority is to find a deer for my son to harvest. I'll be headed out Friday to hike into a spot and sit for a while with glass.

@TheGDog I have hunted duck, quail, dove and deer. I have 2 sons that have a license and have hunted dove with me for the last 3 years. My youngest son has gone with us on the dove hunting trip the last 2 years, but still too young to hunt. I have also taken them with me local quail hunting, but is usually more just a nice walk through the desert. We are open to any type of outdoor activity really. We have shotguns (adult and kid), rifles (adult and kid) and I have a bow.

I have taken them with me deer hunting, but admittedly with 3 boys in tow it is more of a nice hike through the mountains. Last year we had a great time when they all wanted to go with me up in A31 after a recent snow storm. After a 1.5 mile hike in to the area I wanted to hunt, we sat for about 30 minutes. They were then freezing their asses off an ready to head back already. We spend the hike back with them playing and jumping in the snow. We all had a great time, but not really a hunting trip lol.
Hunt 1.jpg
I have historically kept my hunting to day trips only, but I plan to change that this year a little. Me and all my boys have all the equipment needed for backpacking and have done a couple 3 night trips together. My biggest concern in D14 is finding water and/or being far enough away from roads for it to be worth the effort of backpacking in. In D14 I have had 1 successful year with a small buck...what a great day that was! I have several areas that I have in mind that I would like to hike into and check out, but I have a mental block that each area I go to I quickly find myself feeling like there are no animals there and that I am wasting my time...feeling like I should be in one of the other spots that I had considered.

I do not know what buckwheat looks like in the field, but I will now be on the lookout based off pictures from google. I do see areas with acorns growing but not necessarily in large numbers.

I'll take some pics from my trip on Friday and try to ask more specific questions related to what I did/did not see and if I should relocate completely or take a different approach.

Again, appreciate all the responses and I hope to learn a lot and be more successful than I have been in the past.

Last edited:

cjdewese

WKR
Thanks for all the likes guys. But, surely there are others here that can add to this, have other opinions and ...
Agree with everything that you posted. I am new to hunting in general but have lived in Southern California my entire life and in the area I hunt.

I was successful with a bow year 1 and did almost everything you mentioned above which resulted in my 1st harvest and it was cool. Found a major deer trail with activity almost every day, made a ground blind a few weeks before opening day and got one 15 minutes into 1st light. I'm hoping to keep learning and hunting more.

Last year I didn't get a single opportunity on a buck but was around and in Does for several of my hunting days, I just don't think any of those immature bucks that you mention were around the does I was in and around last year.

This year, I did a little more looking around and finding as many areas that held deer as possible, I think 1 of the main things that really hurt me last year was not having enough spots and hunting some areas when the wind wasn't correct. I also moved out from the general areas I have seen does while scouting and started to see some isolated beds with hair in them. IF they are buck beds, I can understand why it's so difficult to kill a mature deer in So Cal, especially with a bow. It would take me weeks with loppers in my hand to even cut a trail in that might be useful to try and get it done.

For now, I have all but given up on spot and stalk in my area because of just how hard it is to see with glass and how difficult it has been with moving quietly. It looks like a lot of fun, I just don't think I have much area that is conducive to that kind of hunting where I am.

Do you ever hunt water? If so, is it generally a sit and wait game, or do you try and find intersecting areas between water and either their beds or food?

Agree with everything that you posted. I am new to hunting in general but have lived in Southern California my entire life and in the area I hunt.

I was successful with a bow year 1 and did almost everything you mentioned above which resulted in my 1st harvest and it was cool. Found a major deer trail with activity almost every day, made a ground blind a few weeks before opening day and got one 15 minutes into 1st light. I'm hoping to keep learning and hunting more.

Last year I didn't get a single opportunity on a buck but was around and in Does for several of my hunting days, I just don't think any of those immature bucks that you mention were around the does I was in and around last year.

This year, I did a little more looking around and finding as many areas that held deer as possible, I think 1 of the main things that really hurt me last year was not having enough spots and hunting some areas when the wind wasn't correct. I also moved out from the general areas I have seen does while scouting and started to see some isolated beds with hair in them. IF they are buck beds, I can understand why it's so difficult to kill a mature deer in So Cal, especially with a bow. It would take me weeks with loppers in my hand to even cut a trail in that might be useful to try and get it done.

For now, I have all but given up on spot and stalk in my area because of just how hard it is to see with glass and how difficult it has been with moving quietly. It looks like a lot of fun, I just don't think I have much area that is conducive to that kind of hunting where I am.

Do you ever hunt water? If so, is it generally a sit and wait game, or do you try and find intersecting areas between water and either their beds or food?
cj, when I said I cut a trail to within shooting distance of a bucks bed, I was not referring to cutting a trail into an area (I cannot say I have not done that). I was referring to cutting a trail from a glassing location to within shooting distance (I am referring to bow hunting)

Most groups of does have a young buck or 2 in their group, but not all groups of does.

If I recall correctly, here in Ca, we have a law against staying (hunting) water over a specified time (perhaps someone here will provide the regulation for clarity). It applies to either a natural source or a man made source. I just don't recall which. However, in general, I do not hunt water. I get it, you are asking why, so here goes. Immature deer have pretty much no discipline, while mature deer do. What that means is that mature deer, especially bucks, water at night and or intake enough water from their food or by licking moisture off of plants or anything they can. I seldom hunt immature bucks. But, since a group of does usually have young deer with them, including young bucks, they (the young deer), have not yet learned to control their urges to go to water; their need is higher than a mature deer. So such groups of deer almost always water during the day, some several times a day.

cjdewese

WKR
cj, when I said I cut a trail to within shooting distance of a bucks bed, I was not referring to cutting a trail into an area (I cannot say I have not done that). I was referring to cutting a trail from a glassing location to within shooting distance (I am referring to bow hunting)

Most groups of does have a young buck or 2 in their group, but not all groups of does.

If I recall correctly, here in Ca, we have a law against staying (hunting) water over a specified time (perhaps someone here will provide the regulation for clarity). It applies to either a natural source or a man made source. I just don't recall which. However, in general, I do not hunt water. I get it, you are asking why, so here goes. Immature deer have pretty much no discipline, while mature deer do. What that means is that mature deer, especially bucks, water at night and or intake enough water from their food or by licking moisture off of plants or anything they can. I seldom hunt immature bucks. But, since a group of does usually have young deer with them, including young bucks, they (the young deer), have not yet learned to control their urges to go to water; their need is higher than a mature deer. So such groups of deer almost always water during the day, some several times a day.
That makes sense, thanks for the clarification and the reply.

Trying to take in as much info as I can and see how to apply some of it to the area I hunt.

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
do any of you socal guys hunt dove in the imperial valley? looking to add birds to my hunting agenda and would like to start with dove.

OP
W
do any of you socal guys hunt dove in the imperial valley? looking to add birds to my hunting agenda and would like to start with dove.
I've been hunting Blythe for the last 10 years or so, but the idea is the same. Dive around looking for fields that have recently cut feed. Show up to those fields at first light and see if it is bringing in any birds from their roosting area. Try to get in line with their flight path. People swear by the mojos as well...from what I have seen they do seem to attract dove.

OP
W
@cjdewese congrats on harvesting a deer on your first year...quite impressive! I mostly hunt areas that require spot and stalk as I really am just still trying to locate where deer might be at...forget about actually harvesting them. I'll worry about that once I start seeing any deer. As it currently stands I see about 2-3 deer per year...and a buck about every 3-4 years. If I can at least start seeing deer this year and keeping my sons interest up that would be a win.

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
I've been hunting Blythe for the last 10 years or so, but the idea is the same. Dive around looking for fields that have recently cut feed. Show up to those fields at first light and see if it is bringing in any birds from their roosting area. Try to get in line with their flight path. People swear by the mojos as well...from what I have seen they do seem to attract dove.
Thank you. Have you hunted in nov or do you just do the sept hunt ?

OP
W
Thank you. Have you hunted in nov or do you just do the sept hunt ?
I’ve been once in November but it was years ago…actually one of the best times I’ve ever had dove hunting. Not sure why I’ve never gone back. Either way I recommend going on opening day of the season

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I hunt Az. side of the Colorado river for dove, quail and rabbit. I have hunted the CRIT reservation a lot for quail and late season dove. Late season can be a real hit or miss venture. We have had fantastic late season dove and not so great, but late season quail is open so we have the option of hunting both or just one of the two.

TheGDog

WKR
Gary
Like a "mountain goat" what you tryin to say Willis!
Was that you I was digging foot holds for on the way up?
Trying to say? Especially in the beginning like that... I was constantly having to play catch up. Hehe.

If you wanna call it as being for me?, no problem, I'll take it! Hehe, the dust? Not so much, HaHA!

What
Trying to say? Especially in the beginning like that... I was constantly having to play catch up. Hehe.

If you wanna call it as being for me?, no problem, I'll take it! Hehe, the dust? Not so much, HaHA!
What you tryin to say Willis was grom a TV show, apparently a show before your time.

The footholds was not you . I now remember who it was. I literally dug footholds with a shovel for him, and still pulled away from him.

TheGDog

WKR
Re: the glassing thing... it can be magical.... the difference in your experience... if you actually go in, in the black of morning when you want to glass some place, (especially if you've already seen them go thru a certain area once before) setup your tripod and use concealment gear, and be backed up to a bush, etc.

As you start to be able to see enough to see into the shadowed draw/ridge in front of you. In high Open Desert Hills type terrain... Just keep periodically scanning for and staring into like all the Tree/Bush clumps of any appreciable size to see if they're coming out from within those bushes, scan that ridge and leave no place unturned! On this side of the ridge that blocks the speed of the winds nicely from the other side, but has the added benefit of the wind comes over the ridge and warns them of something approaching the saddle up and behind them. And also gives them the opportunity the evening before to get all the last remaining rays of the Sun before the nights cold comes back all way. I'd imagine they tuck in to sleep since that Earth would remain warmed for awhile. Then once asleep, no use in getting up if don't have to on those steep slopes like that. Especially if they've found a nice place to stuff into that's not too darn cramped that they can't runaway from quick if they needed to.

TheGDog

WKR
What
What you tryin to say Willis was grom a TV show, apparently a show before your time.

The footholds was not you . I now remember who it was. I literally dug footholds with a shovel for him, and still pulled away from him.
Whachu talkin' 'bout Mista D?

I loved watching Different Strokes!

RE: footholds.. we were right there together each step of the way cause you needed to have the light directed so your hands could be free for the shovel. I'm guessing made it easier to see then with headlamp moving around all the time. Or something.

Gary, I've taken a few guys up that hill over the years. But with one guy in particular, I needed to stop several times, so he could catch up.

You on the otherhand, were a gungho mother.

TheGDog

WKR
Gary, I've taken a few guys up that hill over the years. But with one guy in particular, I needed to stop several times, so he could catch up.

You on the otherhand, were a gungho mother.
Pretty sure I know whom you're referring to.

RE: gungho - If you spent as much time as I do, cooped up in the house all day. You'd be surprised how into it, getting outdoors becomes for you! And lawd knows how good it is for my spirit to have something big like a kill to be happy about for awhile! I'd be soo elated if I could Tag something this season. I've had a taste of it... then fate dealt me some crappy hands with inconvenient and horrendously timed closures and etc. Like a lot of us in CA.

Thankfully Rabbits and Dove and Ducks and Predators provide some distraction in the meantime.

cjdewese

WKR
@cjdewese congrats on harvesting a deer on your first year...quite impressive! I mostly hunt areas that require spot and stalk as I really am just still trying to locate where deer might be at...forget about actually harvesting them. I'll worry about that once I start seeing any deer. As it currently stands I see about 2-3 deer per year...and a buck about every 3-4 years. If I can at least start seeing deer this year and keeping my sons interest up that would be a win.
Thanks, the only reason I was able to make it happen was all the work that I did in Pre-Season, I hiked a lot of terrain a lot further away than where I found my deer and walked miles of deer trails to try and learn. I just happened to stumble upon a trail that this particular group of deer were using to come from Private where they were feeding and watering into public to bed. I had a 2nd tag that year and thought it would be more of the same but they closed the forest down for most of Archery and I had a hard time finding them again in once it opened back up.

Bubblehide's tip on not being afraid to spook deer when you are in your area outside of season is a great one. Anything that you think might hold deer go check out and don't worry if you bump anything, you will start to see where they are and get an idea of where they might be. I use the tracking feature on OnX anytime I find a nice deer trail and walk it for as long as I can marking places they eat, any beds that I see or anything else that is useful. From there I can start to see how they travel through certain types of terrain and try to use that in other areas that I am looking at for the 1st time.

If you find an area that is holding fresh sign or deer try to understand why, then apply those same things to other areas and see if you find more sign. We call this running a pattern in bass fishing. Once you do that a time or two, you start to get an idea of where they hang out and where they don't. For example in my area, I've found that they like to bed more under black oaks than white/live oaks for some reason. If I find a pocket of black oaks, I almost always find deer sign and fresh beds near them. Now I go look or glass under every black oak I come across and see if I can find anything and mark them if I do.

Take your boys during the off season, mine like it a lot more than actual hunting where you have to stay really quiet and limit movement. Make it fun for them and show them anything that you find interesting, weird mushrooms, a cool looking tree, any type of track you see, rock rolling or just sitting and listening to how many unique and different natural sounds you can hear. One of our favorites is to see how many different sounds we can hear a Steller's Jay make.

Also when you go don't make it all about the deer and wither or not you see anything be the judgement of success. My boys and I try to identify as many different species of wildlife that we can anytime we go hiking and carry a journal to document them sometimes. Watching a raptor ride the thermals at the top of a mountain to grid search an area without ever flapping his wings is one of my boys favorite thing to watch. My youngest who is 5 likes learning the names of all the birds or animals he sees and I know it was one of my favorite things to do with my dad. We got a book on birds that lived in our area with cool pictures and bring it on hikes to identify anything we don't know.

Find deer 1st then learn how to hunt them. For me right now, I can find the deer but am very much still learning how to hunt them.