SoCal beginner looking for direction

JonBuck

FNG
Hello everyone, I have recently began looking into hunting as a way to honestly and ethically acquire meat for my family and I. I am in the process of purchasing a RUGER American Predator in 6.5 crd. I have absolutely no experience hunting, and I am hoping to be a much better shot by the time season is upon us as I don’t have much experience shooting either. I live in Costa Mesa in OC.
Where is a good place to start, beyond improving on shooting?
I know less about hunting here than your grandma. Where to go, what to do ?
I have my hunters license and all that jazz so I’m really just asking for some experiential knowledge.

Billinsd

WKR
Jump onto Jesseshuntingforum and theoutdoorsforum for local California hunting information. The closest hunting is probably Big Bear or Wrightwood. Big game hunting is pretty poor in California. If you want to feed your family game meat the best way to do that is hunt out of state. If you aren't concerned about shooting a big buck or bull, then it is much easier. Look around this forum and read a lot and soak it up and then ask a lot of questions. You need to eventually figure out what you want to hunt and how and where and when. It's a gigantic learning curve. You need to figure out how much money and time you are willing to spend. Welcome to the addiction called hunting!!! Bill

Last edited:

BasedinLA

FNG
Hello everyone, I have recently began looking into hunting as a way to honestly and ethically acquire meat for my family and I. I am in the process of purchasing a RUGER American Predator in 6.5 crd. I have absolutely no experience hunting, and I am hoping to be a much better shot by the time season is upon us as I don’t have much experience shooting either. I live in Costa Mesa in OC.
Where is a good place to start, beyond improving on shooting?
I know less about hunting here than your grandma. Where to go, what to do ?
I have my hunters license and all that jazz so I’m really just asking for some experiential knowledge.
Hey, I'm in a similar boat as you even got the same rifle. What animals are set on hunting?
I'm thinking about doing some hog hunts near the central coast but can't find too much info.
Also heard bear hunting is pretty accessible.

JMDavies

WKR
Congratulations on your new hobby. I'd suggest getting to know some people at your local range, bow/gun shop and gun club. Stay active in forums and continue to ask more specific questions. Good luck to you this coming season.

feanor

WKR
If you’re looking for quick food then pig hunting could be a great option.

Beendare

WKR
Jonbuck,
Welcome to hunting my friend....fellow Californian here thats been hunting for 5 decades.

Yeah there is a lot to learn....and the journey can be frustrating at times especially here in Ca. Enjoy your time in the outdoors the harvest is secondary.

The tendency is for a guy to get caught up in gear purchases- guilty of that myself- but your focus should be on improving your skillset.

I'm an archery guy....so probably not the best guy to give you advice....just wanted to welcome you to hunting and the forum. Every question you can think of has been asked and answered here- its a great resource if you search.

______

north.. way north. that is the only direction i would go if i were you..

if you really want to feed your family game meat than the best and least expensive option you have is to find cow elk tags. colorado has a bunch and will even have some available as leftover tags.