So you want to get into reloading, huh!

Gila

WKR
For two years I have been researching getting into reloading. I have a few rifle and pistol cartridges that I want to reload. I don’t shoot that much but the selection of ammo or I should say the lack of it, has prompted me to get into reloading. When I can find the hunting ammunition for my rifles it isn’t exactly what I want to shoot. I told the wife that it would cost about $1,000 to get into it and she cringed. I am retired but it isn’t that I am looking for another hobby. My plate is full with the ranch an all. I do want to shoot more though. I enjoy going to the range once in a while. I always have been fascinated by all of the different calibers. I shot pistol matches when I was younger and used to crank out thousands of rounds using my neighbors reloading den. He showed me how to run his Dillion press.

I like the turret presses for cranking out pistol and ball ammo. But most of my reloading will be for 300 win mag and 270 win hunting rounds. I don’t want to go through the hassle of changing dies out when I switch out calibers. Prices for presses these days is ridiculous, so are the components. I narrowed it down to three presses: Forster co-ax which are quite expensive if you can even find them. The Rockchucker Supreme is a good choice, since the press can be converted to Lee’s breech lock system for snapping dies in and out when changing calibers. The third possibility was the Lee Classic Turret press. The 4 hole turrets go for about 12 bucks, so I can setup a turret for each caliber. I am not a kit person. I am really particular about my tools and the gadgets I like to use. Every kit I have looked at has stuff that I either don’t want to use or would want to upgrade.

I found a really good “on sale” price for the lee classic turret and took the plunge. I also went to various places and bought all of the tools, gadgets that I need and want to use. Price was a primarily consideration but I don’t like to sacrifice quality or ease of use. Total price tag: $700 to get started with dies for one rife caliber. I will eventually need to turn necks since i am using a bushing die for neck tension, but will spend on that later. I spent $225 to get the press ready to go with case activated powder measure and on press primer system. $475 for the tools and gadgets. I found enough powder, bullets and brass for the 300 win mag to last me for a while. Powder is not cheap and some of the big chains are “gouging” on reloading components. I just refuse to pay more than $30 a pound for powder. 2 bucks a piece for brass, no way! The right bullets for hunting are rare, but I won’t pay more than 50 cts for a bullet.

I have all of the factory ammo I need for this hunting season, so will wait until thanksgiving timeframe before attempting any reloading. Any advice loading the 300 win mag would be greatly appreciated...all new to me. Thanks in advance!

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
I will eventually need to turn necks since i am using a bushing die for neck tension

I have turned a lot of case necks in my time. But I can assure you that you only need to turn case necks if your case necks are too wide for your chamber. The advantage of a die that uses neck bushings is that you can control neck tension by changing the bushing.

I have many cartridges that I load for with neck bushing FL dies. The only ones I turn necks for are match rifles that have a tight neck. The rest I just have a couple of bushings available to deal with variation in brass manufactures - those necks have never been turned.

I would go with the rock chucker and roll on. Especially if you’re new to the process. Pretty sure the rock chucker can be converted to use Hornady bushings, not Lee. I really don’t get the concept when locking rings are much cheaper and just as easy to setup, but I guess that’s personal preference. No idea why you would need to ever turn necks because of bushing dies. Custom chambers and necking brass down is generally why you need to turn necks, but it can also benefit neck tension. But in general terms it’s just not needed. The days of powder under $30 a pound are most likely behind us. Yeah it sucks, but “inflation”. 300 wm isn’t cheap to reload. 270 is much more economical. 308 is even better. Primers under $75/1000 are rare as well. Be glad powder didn’t double or triple like primers have. Brass is available, if you search for it.

I load all my ammo for various cals. 300 W.Mag. brass is a bear to find right now. as to powder prices the days of 30 dollars a pound I fear is long gone, I use a rock chucker press and have never had a bad situation with it, as I do not mind setting dies and that sort of thing. For me re-loading is a plesant hobby and one not to be rushed. Suggestion on the brass look for once fired brass in the 300 it is a lot cheaper than new brass you just need to sort it by brands and can often be found at least right now for less than a dollar a case. Everything is in short supply and I believe only going to get worse, haunt local gun shows, just last saturday was at one and picked up a pound of H-4350 for 40 dollars, there was also a lot of re-loading items there but mostly stuff I all ready had.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
Every day I loook around for primers, powder and bullets. I am ok with once fired brass for now. I picked up some Ramshot Magnum for $28 a pound. I want to experiment with other powders but $50 a pound for H-1000 is beyond my reach. RL26 is not available. Most powders that I want to play with are always out of stock anyway, it seems. Hunting bullets are scarce too. I have enough bullets to work up a load. anyway. Primers I desperately need but going to wait to see if I can find some for something less than $350 a brick (Federal Match) over at gun broke. I certainly will wait though as I am in no hurry. Time to get some huntin‘ done.

Atlantic

FNG
For two years I have been researching getting into reloading. I have a few rifle and pistol cartridges that I want to reload. I don’t shoot that much but the selection of ammo or I should say the lack of it, has prompted me to get into reloading. When I can find the hunting ammunition for my rifles it isn’t exactly what I want to shoot. I told the wife that it would cost about $1,000 to get into it and she cringed. I am retired but it isn’t that I am looking for another hobby. My plate is full with the ranch an all. I do want to shoot more though. I enjoy going to the range once in a while. I always have been fascinated by all of the different calibers. I shot pistol matches when I was younger and used to crank out thousands of rounds using my neighbors reloading den. He showed me how to run his Dillion press.

I like the turret presses for cranking out pistol and ball ammo. But most of my reloading will be for 300 win mag and 270 win hunting rounds. I don’t want to go through the hassle of changing dies out when I switch out calibers. Prices for presses these days is ridiculous, so are the components. I narrowed it down to three presses: Forster co-ax which are quite expensive if you can even find them. The Rockchucker Supreme is a good choice, since the press can be converted to Lee’s breech lock system for snapping dies in and out when changing calibers. The third possibility was the Lee Classic Turret press. The 4 hole turrets go for about 12 bucks, so I can setup a turret for each caliber. I am not a kit person. I am really particular about my tools and the gadgets I like to use. Every kit I have looked at has stuff that I either don’t want to use or would want to upgrade.

I found a really good “on sale” price for the lee classic turret and took the plunge. I also went to various places and bought all of the tools, gadgets that I need and want to use. Price was a primarily consideration but I don’t like to sacrifice quality or ease of use. Total price tag: $700 to get started with dies for one rife caliber. I will eventually need to turn necks since i am using a bushing die for neck tension, but will spend on that later. I spent $225 to get the press ready to go with case activated powder measure and on press primer system. $475 for the tools and gadgets. I found enough powder, bullets and brass for the 300 win mag to last me for a while. Powder is not cheap and some of the big chains are “gouging” on reloading components. I just refuse to pay more than $30 a pound for powder. 2 bucks a piece for brass, no way! The right bullets for hunting are rare, but I won’t pay more than 50 cts for a bullet.

I have all of the factory ammo I need for this hunting season, so will wait until thanksgiving timeframe before attempting any reloading. Any advice loading the 300 win mag would be greatly appreciated...all new to me. Thanks in advance!
Reloading is costly upfront, but definitely the way to go if you want to shoot volume. A buddy once told me "Reloading isn't cheaper, but you get to shoot more" ha!

I have been reloading for all of my adult life and tried about every combination imaginable.. I currently reload for about 20 different rifle cartridges and have hit onto what I think is the best combination so far.. I like and have both the Forster and RCBS presses.. I prefer the Forster for really precision reloads, but both work very well for hunting loads... As far as dies.. I use the cheap Lee collet/mandrel dies for neck sizing.. I have measured concentricty/runout and have found that the free floating mandrel consistently gives me the least runout. I have found that the Lee sizes from the inside out (mandrel as opposed to the bushings which size from the outside) and helps to compensate for slight variances in brass thickness.. You can easily change neck tension by buying a different mandrel of the diameter you want from Lee.. I use the Forster Micro adjustable Benchrest seating die and the Forster neck bump die if required.. I user the L.E. Wilson manual trimmer with Wilson case holders for case length.. I have a Sinclair benchrest manual powder drop that is super accurate.. I dump the powder into my brass pan and trickle to weight on an RCBS digital scale.. This combo has worked very well.. May be a little more manual that some would like, but the results have been good..

z987k

WKR
I don't think reloading is ever cheaper unless you spend a good amount of time at the range.

For mostly hunting, reloading just opens up more with the bullet choice. But then you need custom barrels to really get that extra 20% out of a cartridge. So the money never stops.

I totally agree with the post above... For me I sort of take it as two separate hobbies (Reloading/shooting).. I enjoy building/testing/experimenting, etc almost as much as the shooting itself.. I have a friend who loves to build golf clubs.. He is a so-so golfer, but keeps trying different things hoping to find the holy grail.. Like any other hobby, once hooked, its harder and harder to let the cost get in the way of that perfect load. For someone who shoots occasionally and hunts, etc. Reloading may not be the most ecconomical way to shoot a few rounds per year (especially with the cost of equipment and components)... All I would say is (even if you don't reload) don't throw your brass in the trash... If you every do decide that it's worth it (to you), you'll have some brass to get started or trade for some that does..

Rock-o

WKR
...$50 a pound for H-1000 is beyond my reach.

A pound of powder is 7000 grains. My 300WM load, for example, is 76.5 grains (of H-1000). That's 91 loads from a pound.

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
A pound of powder is 7000 grains. My 300WM load, for example, is 76.5 grains (of H-1000). That's 91 loads from a pound.
And almost 300 rounds per pound in my 223 (which I shoot a LOT more than my 300 WM)!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
I have been reloading for all of my adult life and tried about every combination imaginable.. I currently reload for about 20 different rifle cartridges and have hit onto what I think is the best combination so far.. I like and have both the Forster and RCBS presses.. I prefer the Forster for really precision reloads, but both work very well for hunting loads... As far as dies.. I use the cheap Lee collet/mandrel dies for neck sizing.. I have measured concentricty/runout and have found that the free floating mandrel consistently gives me the least runout. I have found that the Lee sizes from the inside out (mandrel as opposed to the bushings which size from the outside) and helps to compensate for slight variances in brass thickness.. You can easily change neck tension by buying a different mandrel of the diameter you want from Lee.. I use the Forster Micro adjustable Benchrest seating die and the Forster neck bump die if required.. I user the L.E. Wilson manual trimmer with Wilson case holders for case length.. I have a Sinclair benchrest manual powder drop that is super accurate.. I dump the powder into my brass pan and trickle to weight on an RCBS digital scale.. This combo has worked very well.. May be a little more manual that some would like, but the results have been good..
That’s interesting. I didn’t know about the Lee mandrels. I bought the Hornady Match grade die set that was on sale. It is a full length resizing die with a mandrel for the inside of the neck. The bushing goes over the outside of the neck to set proper neck tension. The sizing die does come with an expander mandrel, guess it’s for deformed case mouth. The seating die has an alignment collar for the bullet. You can buy different inserts for different shape bullets. I bought one for the ELD-X bullet. I like the micro adjust on the seating die, it has just the right feel for me.

I went with a Lyman EZ trim set as well as their case prep tool. I like manual stuff that is simple to use and “bombproof”. I have a lee auto drum powder measure. I will set it up for minimum charge then trickle in powder as I go up. I have two digital scales. The arrow scale (have had for years) for weighing arrows and arrow components which has been accurate within .2 grains. The other is “el cheap o” amazon scale. I don’t like beams scales because I am always bumping the dang thing and it is too slow. I don’t know what I will get for case holders yet. As far as ammo boxes, MTM arrow cases have worked well for me, might as well get some for ammo.

AkRyan

WKR
Let's be fair...reloading cost more and we tend to "try" things out just to see (throwing money away). If ammo was available I wouldn't even think about reloading but 7-08 is like a unicorn atm.....

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
Let's be fair...reloading cost more and we tend to "try" things out just to see (throwing money away). If ammo was available I wouldn't even think about reloading but 7-08 is like a unicorn atm.....
The factory ammo I am using for elk hunting this season costs $90-160 per box (20 rounds) if you can find it all. I paid $60a box a couple of years ago. Those prices are not at gun broke but the usual big chain stores. That is gouging I don’t care what anybody says. I can’t get the bullets that are used in that factory ammo either. Now everybody, even the big chains are gouging on reloading components. Good luck getting a keg of powder. No one stocks kegs anymore because they sell each pound for at least $50. Every body wants H1000, RL26 blah, blah and they will pay whatever price. Not me though, I will just ope reloading. I have enough ammo for two guns to hunt the tags I can get for the next 10 years anyway. I can’t help but think that maybe if everyone stopped buying firearms, ammo and reloading components for just two weeks, there wouldn’t be a shortage of anything.

z987k

WKR
The factory ammo I am using for elk hunting this season costs $90-160 per box (20 rounds) if you can find it all. I paid $60a box a couple of years ago. Those prices are not at gun broke but the usual big chain stores. That is gouging I don’t care what anybody says. I can’t get the bullets that are used in that factory ammo either. Now everybody, even the big chains are gouging on reloading components. Good luck getting a keg of powder. No one stocks kegs anymore because they sell each pound for at least $50. Every body wants H1000, RL26 blah, blah and they will pay whatever price. Not me though, I will just ope reloading. I have enough ammo for two guns to hunt the tags I can get for the next 10 years anyway. I can’t help but think that maybe if everyone stopped buying firearms, ammo and reloading components for just two weeks, there wouldn’t be a shortage of anything.
That's funny. I was just complaining about how the only powder at the store are 8lb jugs. No 1lb. If I want to try a powder I don't want 8lbs of it.

AkRyan

WKR
This is what makes all the money and bullets worth it though! Both groups are 100yrd bottom group was 5 shots top group 3 shots.

Tikka 7mm08 compact 20in barrel
140g berger vld hunter
Federal brass
Cci 250
AA 2520
2.800 coal

Top group 42gr 2520 2819 average mv
Bottom 41.8gr 2520 2791 average mv

Attachments

• 20220825_210043.jpg
    20220825_210043.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 29
What ammo are you using that cost that much

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I know it seems painful upfront cost wise but I enjoy reloading for most every brass case eating firearm I own. It might not have been a money saver when 9mm was 9$ a box. But now having dies and brass for things like .38 special that my daughter likes to shoot are of a great value when I can just let her shoot and don't count 5$ dollars down the drain every time she goes through a cylinder in her 637. Not to mention most of the hunting rounds are unobtanium.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
What ammo are you using that cost that much
Nosler Trophy grade with Accubonds. Trophy Grade LRA in 190gr were $160.00 before that ammo completely disappeared.

I am shooting 180gr. Would like to get some 200gr partitions and some heavy weight A-frames. But those bullets are also non existent at the time.